Cmdr Geo Merkator

Welcome Commander! Introduce yourself in here.
gapper4
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Cmdr Geo Merkator

Postby gapper4 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:08 pm

Hello all,

Glad I joined; I found lots of interesting and helpful people on Teamspeak and have solved my lag and freeze problems. I've never played the original Elite (not due to age, I'm almost 50, but due to the fact I didn't have a computer until well into adulthood) but have to say I'm blown away by this game. Think will play it for years to come.

Also, I play on a DK2 so give me a shout in-game on Teamspeak if you have one yourself, or are simply curious about it; I'll be happy to share my experience (hint: GET ONE :)

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Cmdr Geo Merkator

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:14 pm

gapper4 wrote:Hello all,

Glad I joined; I found lots of interesting and helpful people on Teamspeak and have solved my lag and freeze problems. I've never played the original Elite (not due to age, I'm almost 50, but due to the fact I didn't have a computer until well into adulthood) but have to say I'm blown away by this game. Think will play it for years to come.

Also, I play on a DK2 so give me a shout in-game on Teamspeak if you have one yourself, or are simply curious about it; I'll be happy to share my experience (hint: GET ONE :)

Welcome aboard Commander.

I have a few questions.

1. Resolution and framerate/lag. How is this holding up?
    2. Use of keyboard/drinking tea while wearing it?
    3. Any news on a release date for the retail version?
    4. Nausea?

Thanks.

Fly safe Commander.:)

gapper4
Harmless
Harmless

Postby gapper4 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:27 pm

1. Resolution is 1920x1080. My system is pretty old (First gen i7, GTX 660ti, and 12 G Ram, Win 7 64) and, with a few tricks, it's more than playable. Never checked the FPS but it's never been a problem (although, obviously, it's not as butter-smooth as with GTX 780s and up). You still get a screen-door effect but quickly forget about it once in the game. Immersion is astounding.

2. Errr...no. You pretty much have to use a Hotas. I use a Hotas and VoiceAttack and never have to touch my keyboard. Actually, that combo (DK2, Hotas, and VoiceAttack) is about as close as a Human being can get to flying a spaceship in 2014). It's possible to drink tea with the DK2 but you have to tilt your head quite a bit. I drink cans of Coke all the time with it.

3. Summer-Fall 2015 is the latest estimate I've read on the OR forums.

4. Absolutely none whatsoever, and it's not that I'm immune to it. I get it in two minutes while trying out War Thunder, and got it with all games in my old DK1. The DK2 is much, much better in this regard. I've played ED for four or five hours at a time without taking off the DK2 and never felt anything other than the pure joy of flying through the Universe :)

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:34 pm

gapper4 wrote:1. Resolution is 1920x1080. My system is pretty old (First gen i7, GTX 660ti, and 12 G Ram, Win 7 64) and, with a few tricks, it's more than playable. Never checked the FPS but it's never been a problem (although, obviously, it's not as butter-smooth as with GTX 780s and up). You still get a screen-door effect but quickly forget about it once in the game. Immersion is astounding.

2. Errr...no. You pretty much have to use a Hotas. I use a Hotas and VoiceAttack and never have to touch my keyboard. Actually, that combo (DK2, Hotas, and VoiceAttack) is about as close as a Human being can get to flying a spaceship in 2014). It's possible to drink tea with the DK2 but you have to tilt your head quite a bit. I drink cans of Coke all the time with it.

3. Summer-Fall 2015 is the latest estimate I've read on the OR forums.

4. Absolutely none whatsoever, and it's not that I'm immune to it. I get it in two minutes while trying out War Thunder, and got it with all games in my old DK1. The DK2 is much, much better in this regard. I've played ED for four or five hours at a time without taking off the DK2 and never felt anything other than the pure joy of flying through the Universe :)

Hm. Sound good. But, as you mentioned, you kind of need the whole package to make it work optimally.

I'll hold out for the retail version. See what happens. Sony has something in the pipeline as well I think. Codename: Morpheus.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/gaming ... 379/review

gapper4
Harmless
Harmless

Postby gapper4 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:35 pm

I think the Morpheus will be only for the PS4.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:37 pm

gapper4 wrote:I think the Morpheus will be only for the PS4.

Yes. You're probably right.

Would love to see a pic of your setup. :)

gapper4
Harmless
Harmless

Postby gapper4 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:50 pm

GlobusDiablo wrote:

Well, it's nothing spectacular in pictures, just a 28inch monitor, a Razer BW keyboard, Mad Katz R.A.T. 9 Mouse, and a cheapo Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X (although I'm expecting a Saitek X65F from eBay any day now). The key component, the DK2, is just a little brick-sized black plastic BOX :D

I know that the DK2 is a bit expensive for a beta product but, even if only for ED, for me it's been worth every penny. I can't even imagine playing the game on a flat screen now.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:22 pm

gapper4 wrote:
GlobusDiablo wrote:

Well, it's nothing spectacular in pictures, just a 28inch monitor, a Razer BW keyboard, Mad Katz R.A.T. 9 Mouse, and a cheapo Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X (although I'm expecting a Saitek X65F from eBay any day now). The key component, the DK2, is just a little brick-sized black plastic BOX :D

I know that the DK2 is a bit expensive for a beta product but, even if only for ED, for me it's been worth every penny. I can't even imagine playing the game on a flat screen now.

Mm. I'm playing from my couch, with wireless xbox controller and wireless keyboard/touchpad. On a 46 inch Sony TV. Works very well indeed. But this whole immersion aspect has me trembling in my boots. I imagine it as being quite mind blowing. I would probably never want to leave, if I ever got one. Having my own "REAL" spacecraft... Oh boy... :)

gapper4
Harmless
Harmless

Postby gapper4 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:27 pm

I know what you mean; I could stay in-game for days. Fortunately, my wife and son occasionally force me to eat and shower. I tell ya, this tech will change the World. No just games, the World.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:31 pm

gapper4 wrote:I know what you mean; I could stay in-game for days. Fortunately, my wife and son occasionally force me to eat and shower. I tell ya, this tech will change the World. No just games, the World.

:)

Showering is always a good thing.

Return to “Introductions”