Emma

Welcome Commander! Introduce yourself in here.
Emma
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Emma G
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Emma

Postby Emma » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:27 am

Hi all,

I got the game soon after it came out, but didn't play much. Now I'm coming back, as it seems more interesting, and with Mobius I'm less scared about losing everything to a PvP player.

I have a Cobra Mk 3, with not very good equipment, and about 100,000 credits. The problem is, I don't really have a good idea what to do, where to go. I thought it sounded like a lot of money, but looking at prices, I think not! I'm not good in combat, and have already almost died once (my hull was at 10%, sparks were flying everywhere) - that was doing a mission I picked up at a station, which makes me not want to do missions!

I like trading, travelling, and I'd like to get a good ship and setup. I'm not really interesting in fighting pirates, bounty hunting etc. Any advice would be welcome, and if you see me online, I hope you say hi, because it seems almost like a solo game most of the time. I'd like to be able to chat to friends, while playing.

If anyone can advise me on where to start trading, in what, and how I should begin with upgrading my ship, I'd be grateful.

Hope to see a lot of you online,

Emma

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Emma

Postby JohnLuke » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:37 am

Greetings and welcome to Mobius, Commander Emma G.

The learning curve in E-D is pretty steep, so I can certainly understand your frustrations. The Cobra 3 is a great ship, and capable of serving you will in several rolls. Since you aren't too interested in combat, have you looked into the Rares Trading Route, or long distance hauling? If you google search elite dangerous rares trading you find a lot of info. Also, for long distance hauling search for Sothis, Robigo, Ceos (I think I read that Ceos is back on-line this week) and see if that may interest you. For either of those, you need a good sized fuel scoop and as much cargo space as you can get.

You may also want to look at the weekly Community Goals. There is one this week to haul gold to Sullivan Dock in LFT 133. If you make enough runs to get (and stay in) in top 75% of commanders, you'll have a reward payout at the end of the CG of at least $3.1m credits.

Please post questions on the board, or ask in one of our vice/text chat servers. We're here to help! :)

Please feel free to add your name to one of our 'In game friends lists'

In game friends list for PC
Xbox EU and Xbox US

and check out our TeamSpeak servers or Discord (voice and text chat) servers to easily chat with, and possibly wing up with other commanders.

Also, make sure to check the Policy page if you haven't already Image.

On top of all of that, we also have a Facebook group and Twitter feed.

There is a lot of great info on the message board, and we have compiled a long list of Tips and Tricks to help new players acclimatize to the game while having fun.

Finally, if you are interested in being involved, go here to see information about our player group faction, the Order of Mobius (based at Rafferty's Mobius station in the Azrael system). We have our own Order of Mobius Twitter feed.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Emma
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby Emma » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:00 am

Hi Johnluke - amazing reply, everything I needed to know and where to go to find more. Thank you!

We have our own faction?

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:12 pm

JohnLuke wrote:...

Please post questions on the board, or ask in one of our vice/text chat servers. We're here to help! :)

LOL, I dread to think :lol:

Emma wrote:...We have our own faction?

Indeed we do, you can read a bit of background here.

To get all the latest info and orders you'll need to join by following the instructions here, then you can view the News and Orders section
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly

Postby JohnLuke » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:47 pm

Emma wrote:Hi Johnluke - amazing reply, everything I needed to know and where to go to find more. Thank you!

We have our own faction?

Glad I could help. :D

Thanks for posting the Order of Mobius links and finding my typo, Xebeth. ;)
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Emma
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby Emma » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:23 pm

Thanks guys,

I joined the faction group - do I need to visit and do missions in the home system?

The idea of trading rare items appeals a lot - I'll definitely try that out!

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly

Postby JohnLuke » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:04 pm

Thanks for being an Order of Mobius supporter, Emma! :D

You can always find the current OoM orders here. In a nutshell, doing missions for OoM in Azrael is currently the best way to support our faction. As your rep with OoM increases, you'll gain access to better and more missions. Also, bounty hunting in Azrael helps us and there are a few RES sites around Azrael 6.

I'm not sure if it's still accurate, but here's a map for the Rares Trade Route. You should probably check Google for more up to date info though.

If you ever want to chat in game, feel free to add me to your in-game friends list.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Morgan Bateson
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Morgan Bateson

Postby Morgan Bateson » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:24 pm

Welcome Emma,

Well if you like the chat experience while also playing, use Discord in the back :)

We could always use an extra CMDR to chat with at Discord server.

Hope to see you around :)

"Captain, do you know what year this is?"
"Of course I do. It's 2278."

– Jean-Luc Picard and Morgan Bateson, 2368 ("Cause and Effect")

Emma
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby Emma » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:38 pm

Thanks all, your tips have me off to a good start already. I just finished my first rare trade run, and made more money than I ever had before, even though I can only carry 18 tonnes. I read that one advantage of my Cobra is that it's fast. So when I got interdicted, I just accepted it, then ran, boosted, ran, boosted and after a while, I'd jump back onto my route. I also got a fuel scoop, which helps a lot, but was tricky. I got a bit of damage the first few times I tried it, but I think I'm improving. I got rid of my ground vehicle to make room for that.

It was 29 jumps to get to Lave and then 39 jumps to Fujin, where I am now (140 LY from Azrael).

Morgan Bateson
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Morgan Bateson

Postby Morgan Bateson » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:26 pm

Also, 4 pips to shields when running. Makes your shields about 2.5 times stronger

"Captain, do you know what year this is?"
"Of course I do. It's 2278."

– Jean-Luc Picard and Morgan Bateson, 2368 ("Cause and Effect")

Return to “Introductions”