Greetings Commanders

Welcome Commander! Introduce yourself in here.
S.H.A.D.O
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: S.H.A.D.O
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Greetings Commanders

Postby S.H.A.D.O » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:23 pm

Hi folks,

Commander S.H.A.D.O here, I recently found out about your group and I was very interested and would like to join you all. Now I'll bore you with my Elite history ;)

I bought the BBC Model B cassette version of Elite the day it hit the shops, it was pretty expensive but that big black box contained oodles of goodies and fired my imagination more than any game ever did. So much so that for my birthday the following year (1985) I asked for and was given (yes, only child and spoiled) a disk drive, disk version of Elite and a DFS upgrade for my BBC.. back in the days when you took the machine in and they actually soldered new chips inside it ;) (I got a metal badge from Acornsoft after sending in a photo of my Elite status, I treasured that for years but sadly its been lost down the years)

I played the game every spare moment for literally years! then when Frontier hit I had an Amiga, I loved Frontier and played it to death but I have to admit I preferred the combat in Elite (sorry). When FFE hit I didn't have a PC and they didn't release an Amiga version much to my deep annoyance (yeah, its obvious why) at that time I couldn't afford a PC so I went without FFE.

Eventually I got a PC and tried games such as XBFT, X-Tension, X2, Freelancer etc etc but even though they were fun, none of them grabbed me like Elite and Frontier did.

Amusingly before the Elite ks was announced I had planned to give up PC gaming and stick to my consoles and handheld, I planned to just use my old PC until it died and then call it a day. of course that all changed the moment the Elite kickstarter appeared. after picking my jaw up off the floor and convincing myself it was real and no hoax I jumped in and dropped £100 on it so I would get the collectors edition box and premium beta access.

after seeing images and youtube videos of Alpha 1 my willpower crumbled and I scraped the money together to drop another £100 on the Alpha. I've been playing since Alpha 2.0 I love it, sure there are small things I'd change but mostly its been amazing.

Although I'm not sure my wife would agree, after I've raided our savings to upgrade that old PC of mine. new mobo, new cpu, new gpu, new case because the gpu wouldn't fit in the old one, new psu for the new gpu, new SSD drive and X-52 to play it with. haha Thankfully she is totally supportive. (I guess it keeps me quiet and out of her way ;))

in game I kind of a jack of all trades, trader, miner, explorer, bounty hunter etc. The only thing I don't really do is PVP. also I'm 'live and let live' if there are people around me I don't bother them or attack them for no reason. (if they are wanted thats another thing)

okay, I've bored you enough!

Right on Commanders!

Philip Coutts
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Coutts

Re: Greetings Commanders

Postby Philip Coutts » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:27 pm

Ahh, the halcyon days of tape players, magnificent. Waiting for ages only for it to balls up at the last minute! Also that box was revolutionary back in the day, it just had so much stuff in it! Kudos for getting the wee Elite badge, not that many did (I only ever got to Deadly).

I like you searched for many years to find a space game to scratch the itch with. The best I ever found was Oolite, which is still worth a look for those who crave the original Elite but with better graphics and loads of other stuff added.

Welcome aboard Commander, enjoy the group and the forum. :)

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby GlobusDiablo » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:54 pm

S.H.A.D.O wrote:...(I guess it keeps me quiet and out of her way ;))...

Sounds familiar. :)

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:52 pm

GlobusDiablo wrote:
S.H.A.D.O wrote:...(I guess it keeps me quiet and out of her way ;))...

Sounds familiar. :)

Here too! :)

Welcome aboard, Commander! :)
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:33 pm

H.E.L.L.O S.H.A.D.O........

And welcome...............

Got any beer ?

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

S.H.A.D.O
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: S.H.A.D.O

Postby S.H.A.D.O » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:42 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:H.E.L.L.O S.H.A.D.O........

Got any beer ?

Sadly alcohol isn't allowed due to some of the tablets I take, I have some Root Beer, does that count? :)

Mobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Mobius

Postby Mobius » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:56 pm

welcome on-board buddy, I have accepted the group request.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:40 pm

S.H.A.D.O wrote:
Cmdr Kharma wrote:H.E.L.L.O S.H.A.D.O........

Got any beer ?

Sadly alcohol isn't allowed due to some of the tablets I take, I have some Root Beer, does that count? :)

Hmmmmmmmmmm........

I'll have to consult the handbook and see what the council say..................

Although I do know a certain scots git won't be happy............

:D

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

SJT
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Stephen Taylor

Postby SJT » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:59 pm

Welcome S.H.A.D.O.

That picture of Lieutenant Ellis is getting me all excited.

Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO

Postby Avago-Earo » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Welcome Commander.

Me too with the BBC tape version Xmas 1984, got to Deadly. Didn't computer game after that. Got a PS3 a while back for racing cars. Stumbled upon Elite Dangerous after I downloaded Oolite and learned about it on the forum. Since then, well. HOTAS, Delan Clip (3 point LED head clip), PS Eye took it apart to remove the IR filter to use with the clip and FaceTrackNoIR, GPU (lowish end) that didn't really work that well with ED on the PC I had so I built my first ever PC. Luckily my girlfriend's understanding too.

See you out there S.H.A.D.O.
"Wibble"

Return to “Introductions”