Conflict Zone locations, appointments and information
CMD. Marderka
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: CMDR. Casten
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

ASP Explorer

Postby CMD. Marderka » Sun May 22, 2016 5:44 am

So I'm really pissed off that I cannot attain any combat vouchers from conflict zones simply because I almost die or die every time I'm in one, low or high. I have an asp explorer with a military grade hull and as much shields as I can put on her (best shield generator and 3 of the best shield boosters). Weapons are all multi-cannons. I don't have any hull reinforcement packages. I engage lower end ships first because if I go for the big guys they pretty much kill me or almost kill me instantly.

What am I doing wrong?

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: ASP Explorer

Postby Loriath » Sun May 22, 2016 7:13 am

Can you post your build in Coriolis for us to see?(just post the link after you have filled it out) Makes it a little easier to help when we see what you are working with.

When you engage the lower end ships, are you sure you are checking to see if they are in a wing? Much easier to deal with one ship at a time and really hurts when that eagle you decide to go after is in a wing with an FDL or FAS.

An Asp is quite a bit less manoeuvrable than a lot of the smaller ships and it will take some work to keep them in your sights. You need to use your thrusters and manoeuvre with the throttle in the blue zone to make sure your Asp is being as nimble as possible. The hard points on the Asp, 4 small, 2 mediums, can deal some good damage but even with gimbaled weapons, the best firing arc is always in a small area and slightly lower because of the 4 small points being under the ship.

I am not a great Asp pilot and find that I do better with a more nimble ship, but there are many Commanders that use the Asp a lot and could beat me to a pulp with one, so hopefully some jump in and give advice.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

The-Dead-Meat
Novice
Novice
CMDR: The-Dead-Meat

Postby The-Dead-Meat » Sun May 22, 2016 9:20 am

Would recommend reading Conflict Zones for beginners.

While the Asp explorer is a good 'all round' ship I would also recommend using something a) cheaper and b) more 'combat' orientated.

Something like the Diamondback Scout or a Viper Mk IV (or if funds are a bit tight Cheaper Viper Mk IV)

You can also go to Ray Gateway | DIAGUANDRI or Goldstein Port | LEMBAVA to purchase as the Re-buy cost is based on the purchase price you paid for ship/modules (including any discounts). If Ray Gateway | DIAGUANDRI doesn't have a module your after Goldstein Port | LEMBAVA should have it and its only one jump away from Ray Gateway | DIAGUANDRI.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Sun May 22, 2016 9:38 am

Besides all of the great tips from the other guys.... are you using fixed, gimballed, or turretted weapons? I strongly recommend gimballed. Fixed is too difficult to hit your target, where gimballed allows for a fair amount of leeway. turrets are too weak and typically only used on large trade ships for defense.

Just to confirm, is your shield generator an A5? and you're using A class shield boosters?

Get back to us with more details when you can, and we'll see how we can help you to be more successful in the CZ.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Gorf
Master
Master
CMDR: Hardy

Postby Gorf » Sun May 22, 2016 11:53 am

If you have fixed or gimballed weps, do everything you can when maneouvring to keep your assailant in their fire. If you present the top or bottom of your ship to them, they can't miss. It's a big old silhouette.

It's less of a problem with turrets because you can present your sides to the target and still hit it.

When you enter the CZ, boost away from the furball before you pick your side. Then approach with caution, picking off those who stray too far from the action

Rimsplitter
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Rimsplitter

Postby Rimsplitter » Sun May 22, 2016 6:39 pm

A long time ago I flew a combat Asp and it was fine - I used it to earn enough for a Python pretty quickly. A couple of weeks ago I came back to ED after a six-month ragequit hiatus and got back into an Asp since that's all I could afford. No matter what weapons, shields or hull I put on it I had the same experince as you. Insta death every time. I think the Asp has had a massive nerf, possibly incrementally so no one noticed.

Either use your Asp to do enough paid BB missions to buy a Vulture or just trade it in for a Vulture and use that to grind enough to buy another Asp. I currently have an unarmed Asp for BB missions and ALD reinforcement, and a vulture with zero cargo space for fighting. The Vulture is much better than I remember it being, and the Asp is now good for nothing but long-range hauling. No more Swiss Army Knives.
Pathfinder. Entrepeneur. Dangerous. Baron. Warrant Officer.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Sun May 22, 2016 7:36 pm

Rimsplitter wrote:A long time ago I flew a combat Asp and it was fine - I used it to earn enough for a Python pretty quickly. A couple of weeks ago I came back to ED after a six-month ragequit hiatus and got back into an Asp since that's all I could afford. No matter what weapons, shields or hull I put on it I had the same experince as you. Insta death every time. I think the Asp has had a massive nerf, possibly incrementally so no one noticed.

Not bloody likely. If that was the case it would have been a rage all over the forums. Even I, the half assed pilot that I am have only ever lost an Asp to stupidity like not knowing when to GTFO. It is more likely that your 6 month rage quit induced rustiness in your flying abilities than FD ninja nerfing the Asp.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

CMD. Marderka
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: CMDR. Casten

Postby CMD. Marderka » Mon May 23, 2016 5:16 am

Thanks for the tips everyone.

I'm pretty experienced and knowledgeable when it comes to dog fighting. I have the target in front of me most if not all the time, no matter the ship. I understand the blue targeting circle and I know the sounds wihen I hear my rounds hitting while ensuring the damage is being done to the hologram target on my dashboard.

I didn't know about npc wings in conflict zones. I have fought 3 ships at once when bounty hunting so I know about wings for sure. I've tried teaming up with other friendly npc ships killing enemy npc ships and staying on the outskirts to avoid the bigger guys but it feels like as soon as the fighting comes down to the bigger ships I have to just wait afar and not engage or engage and die/get real messed up and be forced to warp out with massive hull damage.

It just seems like I need a bigger ship, not a smaller more nimbly one, that can take the hits from the bigger guys. I an open to more suggestions!

Here is my ship:

https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/25A5B5B4 ... =.Aw18WQ==.

Orkekum
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orkekum

Postby Orkekum » Mon May 23, 2016 6:05 am

5c shields are your issues, for combat zones, biweave and hull reinforcements, plus i never understand people using point defence i am sorry. never had a issue with rockets.

Here https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/25A5B5B4 ... =.Aw18WQ==

to compare, here is the python i use in combat zones for merit work http://coriolis.io/outfit/python/07C6A5 ... nterdictor
a little cargo when interdicting if they drop stuff, you dont get rich fast doing this, but this python is gold for it

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Mon May 23, 2016 6:47 am

CMD. Marderka wrote:Thanks for the tips everyone.

Here is my ship:

https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/25A5B5B4 ... =.Aw18WQ==.

Okay, based on that link, I see 2 things.

1. Your FSD and Thrusters are B rated, which are the heaviest (They are just as heavy as E rated) and that will affect your manouverability. I suggest either going A (which will increase speed from the thrusters, and jump range) or going C (which are lighter and make you a little more nimble, but will slow you slightly and decrease your jump range.

2. You shields are C rated. Going A rated will make a big difference. I realize that you are using the C with 2 boosters, and that alone makes them better than A rated, but going A rated size 5 shields with 2 A rated boosters will give you a huge bump in the shields. (from 250 to 291)

The only other thing I would consider, is your use of all MC's. They are not as effective as Lasers for taking shields down. What you might want to consider is putting 4 small pulses and keep the 2 medium MC's. I run that setup on my Asp, and find it is just as good as running 2 Medium pulses for taking shields down, and the 2 Medium MC's shred hull pretty damn good and do a better job that 4 small MC's.

I took the liberty of making the changes to A Rated FSD and Thrusters, bumping the shields to A and changing the Wake Scanner and Point Defence to a Chaff and Kill Warrant Scanner. I also made my suggested changes to the weapons so You can compare.
As Orkekum said, Point defence are not really useful now, but after 2.1 drops and the Missiles get buffed, that will change. I changed it for chaff, but that is again, preference. But the KWS will increase your credits per kill.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/25A5A5A4 ... =.Aw18WQ==

Weapon Changes are based a lot on preference and your piloting style/ability, so feel free to keep your layout if it works for you.

Here are the main Stats that changed that may help you see the differences.

Speed Before: 270/367 After: 283/385
Jump Range Before: Full Tank-19.81 Laden-17.62 After: Full Tank-26.01 Laden-22.91
Shields: Before -252 After -291
Shields Recharge: Before Recovery:1:05 After Recovery 1:13 Before Recharge 2:05 After Recharge 2:25
Power Usage: Before -88.3% After -92.2

The DPS remains the same, but the use of the pulses means that the shields will come down faster so that means that your time to kill should be shorter.

Others can critique my changes, but I think the Shield/FSD/Thruster change alone will make you more nimble and able to take more hits before they are into your hull. Weapons are more a personal thing. I hope the numbers let you see the differences that you can expect.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

Return to “Conflict Zones”