Noob miner looking for some help

Looking for other players in game? Want to tell us where you are in game? Meet here! Ad-hoc wings.
Tribulator
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Tribulator
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Noob miner looking for some help

Postby Tribulator » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:41 pm

Hey everyone, not sure where to post this as I’m new to the group and the game.

I’m planning to try some mining this weekend and I would like to see if any of you guys who have been playing for a while and are now experts at this game could get a small group just to show a noob how it is done, I’m a fast learner so you won’t have to spend hours explaining things. I know there is a lot of information out there on the web but I think it’s much more fun to learn as a group of like minded gamers. Just let me know where you need me to be and I will be there.

I’m planning on be online Saturday (January 2, 2016) at about 6pm EST or 11pm UTC. I will be online all night Friday but I can tell what time for sure, just add me as a friend and if you want to do some mining on Friday I’m all good.

CMDR Tribulator

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Noob miner looking for some help

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:51 pm

Well are you talking about actual mining rings of planets ?

Or prospecting on planets ?

If the latter I prob know a couple of guys that could help you.......

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:52 pm

What could possibly go wrong? ;)
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:01 am

Sshhhhhhhhh........

:lol:

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Tribulator
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Tribulator

Postby Tribulator » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:44 am

I have the planetary prospecting kind of figured out, I would like to give the space mining a try but I will definitely join you guys on a planet excursion soon enough :D , I think I’m going to regret it… but I guess that why we have insurance :shock: .

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:56 am

Tribulator wrote:I have the planetary prospecting kind of figured out, I would like to give the space mining a try but I will definitely join you guys on a planet excursion soon enough :D , I think I’m going to regret it… but I guess that why we have insurance :shock: .

You will not regret it at all. And yes Insurance does help. In fact, it helps some of us more than others... :?

I too am interested in how to use prospector limpets and collectors as well. I have time to enjoy some mining at times and a ship I can dedicate to it. I tried it once a long time ago before limpets. it was extremely tedious. Shoot a rock, scoop, move on.

Hmmm..... It sounds just like what we are doing on planets now, doesn't it? Funny. On planets it does not seem as boring.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:49 am

I will be on quite a bit on Friday, the 1st. (I am in USA also, MST and play in the afternoons) I could answer some questions for you 'live' then. I don't have a mining ship put together right now, but if we're on a the same time on Friday and we've got a couple of hours to kill, I could be persuaded to throw one together real quick. ;)

Here is some info that I posted recently in another thread when another group member was asking about mining. It may give you some info....

------------------------------

Here is my mining Python. The 5A shield generator along with the boosters gets it up to the power of the 6A that I would normally use in a Python. (more cargo space this way) You don't need to have A rated modules, but you want enough power to run the mining lasers non-stop if possible. She's setup for 5 collector limpets which a bit helps with productivity.

Here are a couple of mining guides to get you started (if you decide to give it a go) One, two

I can help you with some good mining locations too, if you want. ;)

-----------------------------------

Take a look at the info, and let me know what questions you may have. Mining is a relaxing way to make decent money in the game, and for me isn't as tedious as A-B-A trade route running.

Loriath.... you are welcome to join in, too. :)
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:03 pm

To add a bit more info.... You certainly don't need a Python to mine, I just linked to mine as an example. Any ship with a good number of internal bays will work. You'll need a refinery (the bigger the better, 4 is the largest) one prospector controller, and preferably at least 2 collector controllers. Add 2 mining lasers (if possible, but one will do in a crunch), and the rest of your normal weapons loadout.

I have a trading / BB mission running Python that I can quickly convert back to a mining ship in a matter of 5 minutes, if our in-game times jive and you want to wing up.

On the weekends (I am off for 4 days this weekend, BTW) I typically can be found in-game around 2:00AM-5:00 AM MST and 1:00PM-3:30PM MST, which is 9:00AM-1:00PM and 8:00PM-10:30PM on the in-game clock. If one of those times would work for you this weekend, just let me know... and send me a friend invite. ;)
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

moarbeer
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby moarbeer » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:46 pm

An Asp is a decent mining ship. I had a 10 bin refinery fitted on mine. Now in a python with the same. I'm using a smaller cargo capacity and just mining gold upwards, then making more frequent trips to sell. Helps to get lots of mining missions to increase value.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:00 pm

Don't know if they changed it. But don't accept missions for rare ores.
Go mine the stuff first then find the missions.

For some reason FD thinks it's super funny to decrease the spawn rate on things you have a mission to get.

Take to many "finding painite" missions and it almost becomes impossible to get it.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Return to “Meeting Point”