Loriaths Logs

Tell us your stories of Elite: Dangerous!
Skipp
Master
Master
CMDR: Skipp Doe
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Loriaths Logs

Postby Skipp » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:13 pm

Oooh, these are awesome!

Just one thing... Try to pick up another wordpress template that manages text in a single column. Having to read between two of them and scrolling all the way back when done with the first one is a bit... well, awkward. It's my professional deformation as a web developer to notice stuff like that xD

Also - try not to use 100% width for text. It's a bit tiresome to read text that wide. Stick to 2/3 of the website. If you need any help - feel free to PM me. I've been working with WP for ages and I know every bit and corner of it :)
ImageImage

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Loriath » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:34 pm

Skipp wrote:Oooh, these are awesome!

Just one thing... Try to pick up another wordpress template that manages text in a single column. Having to read between two of them and scrolling all the way back when done with the first one is a bit... well, awkward. It's my professional deformation as a web developer to notice stuff like that xD

Also - try not to use 100% width for text. It's a bit tiresome to read text that wide. Stick to 2/3 of the website. If you need any help - feel free to PM me. I've been working with WP for ages and I know every bit and corner of it :)

Where the hell were you when I wrote THIS? : viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2720 :evil:

I have gone through all the free templates there that are single column, and none had the simplicity I wanted. The ones that were REAL close had limits on the features I wanted. Or they had it and it was Premium. I have been going through the themes every single day trying new ones. Any customization if Premium.

Thanks, and I will keep trying to find a better theme, but until then, I am stuck.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Skipp
Master
Master

Postby Skipp » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:09 pm

oh... erm... i was... um... saving the galaxy from thargoids! yes, that's it! *hides under a random intergalactic rock*

unfortunately, i've never used WP free hosting but i'm sure there are a lot of limitations. if you ever get a chance to get your own domain/hosting (those come for like 15-20€/year nowadays) i'd be happy to set everything up for you
ImageImage

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:39 pm

Skipp wrote:oh... erm... i was... um... saving the galaxy from thargoids! yes, that's it! *hides under a random intergalactic rock*

unfortunately, i've never used WP free hosting but i'm sure there are a lot of limitations. if you ever get a chance to get your own domain/hosting (those come for like 15-20€/year nowadays) i'd be happy to set everything up for you

LOL Thanks. I am test driving new themes as we speak.

Update: New theme chosen although I am not 100% ok with it, I am about 94.6%.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:54 pm

The new theme is much better, Loriath. But I'd prefer white text on dark background, personally. I find that much easier on the eyes, on a computer screen. Does WP allows you to provide two different themes and let the user choose between them, by any chance?
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Flip » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:20 pm

Typo: Jenny chuckled “Lazy Yard Dogs need and Old Dog to keep them on track.

Great job again, Loriath!

Skipp
Master
Master

Postby Skipp » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:45 pm

Flip wrote:The new theme is much better, Loriath. But I'd prefer white text on dark background, personally. I find that much easier on the eyes, on a computer screen. Does WP allows you to provide two different themes and let the user choose between them, by any chance?

I really doubt that's available for free WP hostings. But if you can edit your CSS file you can just put in this:

Code: Select all

body {
    background-color: #252525;
    color: #FFFFFF;
}
.entry-title {
    color: #FFFFFF;
}
.widget .widget-title, .widget .widgettitle {
    color: #ADADAD;
}
h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, .site-title, .site-posted-on strong, .entry-title, .post-author-card .author.vcard {
    color: #F8F8F8;
}
.post-details, .post-details a {
    color: #929292;
}

That will pretty much change it to a dark theme with blue highlights like you have now :)
There might be more hidden CSS classes that will need editing, but these are the main ones
ImageImage

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:23 am

Flip wrote:The new theme is much better, Loriath. But I'd prefer white text on dark background, personally. I find that much easier on the eyes, on a computer screen. Does WP allows you to provide two different themes and let the user choose between them, by any chance?

*sigh* not unless I want to give them $100 a year. I have 3 colour pallets with this theme, and that is the best I can do. I may be able to go from white to a more grey background, but I can't do a reversal with that theme.

Flip wrote:Typo: Jenny chuckled “Lazy Yard Dogs need and Old Dog to keep them on track.

Great job again, Loriath!

Thanks, and fixed that. I am not a great Proof Reader even though I read it 4-5 times. Needs an Editors Eyes (aka Not mine :))
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:25 am

Skipp wrote:I really doubt that's available for free WP hostings. But if you can edit your CSS file you can just put in this:

HAHAHAHA Yeah right. I can Barely Change the name of it without paying them $$$$ for the Privileged :x :D
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Flip » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:13 am

Skipp wrote:I really doubt that's available for free WP hostings. But if you can edit your CSS file you can just put in this:

Thanks. I already tried that, but I use to do it with GlimmerBlocker and it doesn't work for https.

Return to “Fan Fiction”