It sure is hot in these Cobra MK III's

Tell us your stories of Elite: Dangerous!
CMDRDanPos
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Alex Johnson
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

It sure is hot in these Cobra MK III's

Postby CMDRDanPos » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:36 am

I looked towards my side panel to check how far I had to my destination, 10 jumps remaining. I was making my way to an Anarchy system to search for bounties, and had a long way to go.

I jumped to the next system and decided I would rest here and scoop some fuel from the sun, after orbiting the sun a couple of times I decided to get a little cocky and move closer to speed up the process but it didn’t pay off.

Emergency exit initiated.

I crashed out of supercruise spinning wildly and the panic set in. The temperature was rising in the cabin and the warning lights started to go off.

I pushed all power to the engines and flew away from the sun as far as I could get but the temperature kept rising and rising, nearly at 200%, the cabin was smoking, fires were breaking out on the controls. My hull integrity was compromised, the slow cracking of the glass made the panic go further.

Finally! My Frameshift drive had cooled down, I initiated the jump and began to look for my escape vector. I was looking all around spinning the ship every which way to find it but in the panic I hadn’t realised that there was no escape vector, I was far enough away to make the jump straight to the next system. What a rookie mistake!

I lined up with the next star on my journey and watched as the hull integrity fell and the drive charged up.

5…4…2…1…

The frameshift drive kicked in, I was on about 10% hull integrity and temperature was about 300. I dropped out of warp at the star and immediately turned tail and tried to get away, I thought I was free until I saw that I was still on fire!

I pushed the thruster as far forward as it would go but it was not enough.

My ship was destroyed.

My journey was at an end.

(p.s. Kudos for those who get where the title is from)

Skipp
Master
Master
CMDR: Skipp Doe

Re: It sure is hot in these Cobra MK III's

Postby Skipp » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:58 pm

It's always sad, but kinda funny, when a cmdr looses a ship to a star...

However - here's a little tip. If you need to get away from the sun really fast (or any other object) and you can't see the escape vector - it means you have something else targeted. either the star (maybe you scanned it), maybe a starport in the system or simply another star system that's next on your jump list.

What you need to do is open your nav-panel and unlock anything that's locked. Once you do - your ship computer will show you a blue arrow pointing to the escape-vector marker and you can simply turn towards it.

Trust me - I've learned that the hard way xD
ImageImage

CMDRDanPos
Harmless
Harmless

Postby CMDRDanPos » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:01 pm

Skipp wrote:It's always sad, but kinda funny, when a cmdr looses a ship to a star...

However - here's a little tip. If you need to get away from the sun really fast (or any other object) and you can't see the escape vector - it means you have something else targeted. either the star (maybe you scanned it), maybe a starport in the system or simply another star system that's next on your jump list.

What you need to do is open your nav-panel and unlock anything that's locked. Once you do - your ship computer will show you a blue arrow pointing to the escape-vector marker and you can simply turn towards it.

Trust me - I've learned that the hard way xD

We are born from the stars, something poetic about dying because of one!

I never knew that, I always assumed even if you had a target it showed an escape vector.

Do you think it would be more beneficial to jump into supercruise instead of warping away. I panicked and thats why I jumped, thinking about it it would have made more sense to just get into supercruis and get as far away as possible instead of jumping to ANOTHER star.

It was horrible thinking id escaped, only to die in another system QQ

Skipp
Master
Master
CMDR: Skipp Doe

Postby Skipp » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:06 pm

You can't jump to another system if you're close to the star UNLESS the system is right infront of you. If it's obstructed by the star - your ship computer will tell you it's obstructed and keep the FSD charged up to full until you move. That will just keep your temperature getting even higher since you need to move around the star and you can't do that in normal flight mode. You need supercruise which you can't jump to because you're not aligned with the escape vector... which you can't align because you have that other star system targeted... you see the problem here :D

Always unlock from anything and just jump into supercruise. I found it to be the safest way.

However, after spending time with the fuelscoop - you'll get the feeling for the distance. I don't remember the last time i was bumped out of supercruise for being too close
ImageImage

CMDRDanPos
Harmless
Harmless

Postby CMDRDanPos » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:17 pm

Skipp wrote:You can't jump to another system if you're close to the star UNLESS the system is right infront of you. If it's obstructed by the star - your ship computer will tell you it's obstructed and keep the FSD charged up to full until you move. That will just keep your temperature getting even higher since you need to move around the star and you can't do that in normal flight mode. You need supercruise which you can't jump to because you're not aligned with the escape vector... which you can't align because you have that other star system targeted... you see the problem here :D

Always unlock from anything and just jump into supercruise. I found it to be the safest way.

However, after spending time with the fuelscoop - you'll get the feeling for the distance. I don't remember the last time i was bumped out of supercruise for being too close

Yeah I'm still learning with the fuel scoop to be honest, I imagine its a money saver eventually when using it properly but at the moment filing at a station seems the cheapest and easiest way haha!

And noted, from now on I shall always untarget everything and try and get as far away as possible in the current system, true rookie mistake.

CMDRDanPos
Harmless
Harmless

Postby CMDRDanPos » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:46 pm

Someone on the frontier forums suggested on an emergency drop near a sun, its best to stay there, turn off all systems other than life support and wait to cool down below a hundred before jumping to supercruise. May have to try this as a back up too!

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:49 pm

CMDRDanPos wrote:Someone on the frontier forums suggested on an emergency drop near a sun, its best to stay there, turn off all systems other than life support and wait to cool down below a hundred before jumping to supercruise. May have to try this as a back up too!

This is pretty much what I do, thing is to not panick, just wait you dont really need to turn mods off in my experience just waiting a minute drops you down to a heat level where you can 'comfortably' engage cruise.

What I do specifically when I do when I get too close.

1.Throttle down.
2.Target the sun, escape vectors only show up AFTER engaging cruise, do not do that.
turn around and put the black\hollow nav marker in the nav ball square in the cross, this means you are going away from your target, in this case the sun.
10\10 that will be your escape vector when you do engage cruise.
once you get under 100% heat, start moving in that direction, once you get under 80, preferably 60 or even lower, then engage cruise.

Since you are already moving in the right direction you should enter warp pretty quickly and hopefully not blow up.

Took the liberty of testing this with a stock hauler and here's the vid.
http://youtu.be/6EJXQpMdwBY

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

CMDRDanPos
Harmless
Harmless

Postby CMDRDanPos » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:41 pm

Hey thanks for the reply, yeah im not sure why i panicked so much haha! I've done it and survived a couple of times, just grown attached to my Cobra haha.

Very good tips, i'll keep them in mind next time :P

Great video btw, thanks for taking the time to demo it :)

P.s. is the title of that video a reference to the movie Sunshine by any chance because if so then you're a hero, favourite film ever!

TorTorden wrote:
CMDRDanPos wrote:Someone on the frontier forums suggested on an emergency drop near a sun, its best to stay there, turn off all systems other than life support and wait to cool down below a hundred before jumping to supercruise. May have to try this as a back up too!

This is pretty much what I do, thing is to not panick, just wait you dont really need to turn mods off in my experience just waiting a minute drops you down to a heat level where you can 'comfortably' engage cruise.

What I do specifically when I do when I get too close.

1.Throttle down.
2.Target the sun, escape vectors only show up AFTER engaging cruise, do not do that.
turn around and put the black\hollow nav marker in the nav ball square in the cross, this means you are going away from your target, in this case the sun.
10\10 that will be your escape vector when you do engage cruise.
once you get under 100% heat, start moving in that direction, once you get under 80, preferably 60 or even lower, then engage cruise.

Since you are already moving in the right direction you should enter warp pretty quickly and hopefully not blow up.

Took the liberty of testing this with a stock hauler and here's the vid.
http://youtu.be/6EJXQpMdwBY
Last edited by CMDRDanPos on Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:11 pm

No worries, I have panicked plenty of times myself before hence how I came upon this in the first place.
Many sidewinders, vipers, and eagles where lost in obtaining this knowledge :D

Sry no movie reference.
I was just thinking of Icarus who flew to close to the sun with the wings his father Daedalus crafted in greek mythology.

I hope you enjoyed how I missed the mail slot, did not intend to do that.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

CMDRDanPos
Harmless
Harmless

Postby CMDRDanPos » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:40 am

TorTorden wrote:No worries, I have panicked plenty of times myself before hence how I came upon this in the first place.
Many sidewinders, vipers, and eagles where lost in obtaining this knowledge :D

Sry no movie reference.
I was just thinking of Icarus who flew to close to the sun with the wings his father Daedalus crafted in greek mythology.

I hope you enjoyed how I missed the mail slot, did not intend to do that.

Ah of course!

I always forget that that is why the ship in Sunshine is called Icarus - if you're not familiar with the film (which you should be) the sun is dying and a ship called icarus is sent to reignite the sun with a bomb haha. It's amazing :D

Return to “Fan Fiction”