Novice
Novice
CMDR: MrGuarnere
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Elite: Dangerous is a beautiful game

Postby MrGuarnere » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:17 am

TorTorden wrote:
MrGuarnere wrote:
TorTorden wrote:HUD colour is a config file tweak (should be in the tips and tricks section).

It's a little wonky and will require either just copiying someones colour settings or a lot of trial and error.
Also, if you can I would hold off on getting TrackIR (I know it's tempting) but just in a few months the VR googles are going to hit hard, and the trackIR 5 costs half as much as the guesstimate price for the full Oculus, and that's headtracking and a new higher res screen as well :P

Good thinking Batman! Can you imagine VR headset and ED! That would be so awesome, with the HOTAS you are using superimposed onto the screen so you can still see the buttons you are pressing or something :P

A lot of people have been playing with an Oculus devkit for some time now. And They say it's pretty fucking awesome.
If you see vids with a green HUD, that's usually because they play with an oculus devkit, the dk2 has considerably more green pixels than blue and yellow, so shifting the HUD to green incresases text sharpness etc.
I was REALLY tempted to get one after discovering ED myself, but I just had to stop myself since my geforce 960, is quite new still, and I just blew 400£ or something on my new stick-throttle-pedal setup..

Getting full benefit of an oculus now, means at least upgrading to a 970 or two..
That will change as drivers and games become better optimized for VR, as it is now, everything is still in beta and quite experimental.

Also VR isn't just a new screen, it's also fully 3D, and a wide field of view :P
God, I want one...

OK stop talking now, I will be "Mostly Pennyless" if you carry on! :P

monstersmustdie
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Shirokaze

Postby monstersmustdie » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:21 pm

Hahaha, yeah, I'm already Mostly Pennyless because of focusing on E:D more than work. Considering becoming a Dealer ... I mean a CAR Dealer to save my skin. I also plan to get full VR for this for true immersion!
You know how you move your joystick and your virtual avatar reflects your movement in the cockpit? It would be the ultimate if the ship's controls mirrored your real life controls. Can you envision a mouse and keyboard in your cockpit? :lol: Ok, I'll shut up now.
Thanks for checking out my video CMDRs, so glad you dig it. o7

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Loriath » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:29 pm

monstersmustdie wrote:Hahaha, yeah, I'm already Mostly Pennyless because of focusing on E:D more than work. Considering becoming a Dealer ... I mean a CAR Dealer to save my skin. I also plan to get full VR for this for true immersion!
You know how you move your joystick and your virtual avatar reflects your movement in the cockpit? It would be the ultimate if the ship's controls mirrored your real life controls. Can you envision a mouse and keyboard in your cockpit? :lol: Ok, I'll shut up now.
Thanks for checking out my video CMDRs, so glad you dig it. o7

There is a Keyboard. Look to your left under the Panel.

As far as a mouse, the controls on the stick take care of the mouse. Up Down Left Right Select. All there. Not to mention you also need a G13 to place next to your throttle (look down beside it. Its like a G13) :)
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

monstersmustdie
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Shirokaze

Postby monstersmustdie » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:01 pm

Hahaha, well, I wasn't being entirely serious on regards of a mouse inteface. I keep thinking of people driving real life cars with game pad controllers, and then I imagined E:D having a old school mouse with a rolling ball at the bottom with the cable running over the top of your command chair. Silly stuff!

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:56 am

monstersmustdie wrote:Hahaha, well, I wasn't being entirely serious on regards of a mouse interface. I keep thinking of people driving real life cars with game pad controllers, and then I imagined E:D having a old school mouse with a rolling ball at the bottom with the cable running over the top of your command chair. Silly stuff!

Forget what show it was, but they put a camera on top of a truck and blocked the windows so you had a view similar to a lot of car racing games and had people trying to drive the pickup through a course of cones. You had a screen in front of you, and you saw things in real time, just that sort of On the Roof forward view. Even using the controls in the normal truck, most could not do the simple course without hitting cones.

I know that our sticks are not realistic (even the warthog) when it comes to the feel of real flight controls, so I don't think even if you were an ace pilot in DCS or MS FS, that would not make you able to fly a plane that well. The controls and sensory input are totally different.

Now imagine that you get the new Sticks that Star Citizen are touting with Trackballs. Yeah that's what we need to Fly things. Trackballs.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

MrGuarnere
Novice
Novice

Postby MrGuarnere » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:00 pm

Is EDFX allowed in mutliplayer game? I'm not gonna get banned for using a mod online?

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:54 pm

MrGuarnere wrote:Is EDFX allowed in mutliplayer game? I'm not gonna get banned for using a mod online?

It's fine. It's nothing but a visual adjustment. They can't complain if you use the Nvidia/Ati control panel to adjust the gamma or colors and that is basically what it is doing. It does not give you an advantage in any way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

MrGuarnere
Novice
Novice

Postby MrGuarnere » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:31 pm

Sweet. I kind of fancy different HUD colours :D

Return to “Elite: Dangerous Videos”