Windows 10 Tips and Tricks

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
CMDR Abil Midena
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Abil Midena
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Windows 10 Tips and Tricks

Postby CMDR Abil Midena » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:03 pm

How do us peasants actually get 10? All the icon on my computer does is send me to a site that says, 'you suck, and must wait a few days to a few weeks before you don't suck enough to get win 10'. I could be off on the quote.

I also tried that link that lets you download an ISO, but it just keeps failing at one point or another.
My Youtube Channel
Elite - Elite - Elite

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:08 pm

win10.png
win10.png (133.26 KiB) Viewed 2771 times

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

AndyB
Master
Master
CMDR: Andy Bulman

Postby AndyB » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:55 pm

CMDR Abil Midena wrote:How do us peasants actually get 10? All the icon on my computer does is send me to a site that says, 'you suck, and must wait a few days to a few weeks before you don't suck enough to get win 10'. I could be off on the quote.

I also tried that link that lets you download an ISO, but it just keeps failing at one point or another.

download the tool from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

run it on the machine you wish to upgrade but instead of selecting option 2 to create installation media select the first check box that says 'upgrade this PC now'.

after clicking next it should download the install files needed and complete the installation without media.
Combat: Elite Trade: Elite Exploration: Elite

Mobius PvE Group Facebook Admin,
Mobius PvE Group Forum Moderator,
Mobius PvE Lead Admin,
Mobius PvE America Lead Admin,
Mobius Factions Assistant Admin,
Mobius PvE Eurasia Assistant Admin,

CMDR Abil Midena
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Abil Midena

Postby CMDR Abil Midena » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:36 pm

AndyB wrote:
CMDR Abil Midena wrote:How do us peasants actually get 10? All the icon on my computer does is send me to a site that says, 'you suck, and must wait a few days to a few weeks before you don't suck enough to get win 10'. I could be off on the quote.

download the tool from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

run it on the machine you wish to upgrade but instead of selecting option 2 to create installation media select the first check box that says 'upgrade this PC now'.

after clicking next it should download the install files needed and complete the installation without media.

Yeah, that's the site I was using, but I didn't want to upgrade until I had an ISO. I say that because I want to do a 'clean install', based on past snafus when doing an upgrade.

My understanding is that you have to do the upgrade first, no matter what. So, will Win 10 let me create an ISO after that upgrade?
My Youtube Channel
Elite - Elite - Elite

AndyB
Master
Master
CMDR: Andy Bulman

how to make an ISO from your win 10 installation

Postby AndyB » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:56 pm

full instructions can be found here: http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-tur ... to-an-iso/
Combat: Elite Trade: Elite Exploration: Elite

Mobius PvE Group Facebook Admin,
Mobius PvE Group Forum Moderator,
Mobius PvE Lead Admin,
Mobius PvE America Lead Admin,
Mobius Factions Assistant Admin,
Mobius PvE Eurasia Assistant Admin,

Skipp
Master
Master
CMDR: Skipp Doe

Postby Skipp » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:57 am

Just a warning to people with illegal copies that go with the upgrade and get activated automatically (some cases auto-activate win10 based on the previous crack) OR use illegal methods of activation:

Even though this is possible and you can get windows to activate, Microsoft will be banning motherboard IDs for such installations. This means that even if you buy the full licence you will not be able to install windows on that motherboard ever!
ImageImage

DustKart
Competent
Competent
CMDR: DustKart

Postby DustKart » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:59 pm

Just a note for users of ASUS Xonar sound cards:
My card (DGX) worked fine after the upgrade but is not recognised after a full install. There are no specific ASUS drivers at the moment although the UNI drivers may work for your card/system.

CMDR DancingLemur
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: DancingLemur

Postby CMDR DancingLemur » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:14 pm

Here are my two cents after upgrading to W10. Must say, that I have somehow mixed feelings about it.

1) Privacy - during the upgrade/clean install don't click next, next, next....in one phase you will hit a page with something like this....help us improve our system by sending us information blah blah and similar settings like this. Also after installation go to the Settings and watch for the Privacy tab and go through it carefully - using your camera, microphone, unique ID for targeted advertisement and many more. If you intend to use Cortana, there should be problem too. She needs to get to know u, so she will log your Calendar, Contacts, Email (apps) and the info will be send to MS.

2) Edge - simple and fast maybe - but logging browsing history, favorites, etc.

3) Windows Update - you are forced to use automatic download and install, nothing else. I prefer to be notified.

4) Saving settings into Cloud and One Drive - better stick to local account instead of MS account and not using the mentioned services.

You can call me paranoid. :) Needs to be said that u can switch off many of the spying settings, but I fear for the future :).

DustKart:

Have u tried the W8.1 drivers - maybe a compatibility mode? I have Xonar D1 but I've only upgraded.

Skipp
Master
Master
CMDR: Skipp Doe

Postby Skipp » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:20 pm

I agree. Most of the "security" settings are terrible and borderline on privacy intrusion. You can turn most of them off but some of those are here to stay. For example - there is NO way to turn off Windows defender. Even if you select "Turn off" the notification bar says "If we notice Windows defender is turned off for too long - we will turn it back again".

I mean... what!? Really!? If I wanted that piece of crap turned on I wouldn't be turning it off in the first place.

Also - WiFi password sharing! Are they insane!? Basically - you get your WiFi pass sent to Microsoft and it can be shared to all the services you use - Facebook included. Why!? Because it can get shared to your friends so once they get to your place they automagically log onto your network. This actually blew my mind.

And do you know how to turn it off? Well - you can't directly. What you can do is rename your network ID to say "yourwifiname_optout"

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!?

However - I'm almost certain MS will be forced to patch that in the next updates. It really is a very shady area for overall security and I'm sure people will just go into uproar about it.

Edge is... well... not to my liking. It forces the "windows style" dropdown menus witch look horrific. Also - the address bar gets hidden all the time so you need to find it first (most of the time you click the header, not the actual bar), then you click it to enable itself and then you start typing. Total waste of time and not intuitive in any way.

Next - no addons or extensions. Browsing without any kind of adblock is just impossible. So sorry - no. At the moment, I'm putting edge in the same trashcan where IE is.
ImageImage

CMDR DancingLemur
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: DancingLemur

Postby CMDR DancingLemur » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:45 pm

Well, there is a way to turn Defender off - using another security software. I'm using Norton 360 and Defender setting are greyed out, also i checked if the service is somehow running and no it is not.

I fear that MS will do nothing about this, it's the trend nowadays, take android phones, Google services or Apple for example it's the same case. MS is trying to be like them. WTF - Solitaire with ads, you pay - no ads :shock: :D

I agree - not a step without NoScript and AdBlock addons in my Firefox. I dare to say that IE is better than Edge :)

Return to “Tips and Tricks”