Chuck's Combat Explorers, Volume 2: The Viper

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
ChuckDM
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: ChuckDM
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Chuck's Combat Explorers, Volume 2: The Viper

Postby ChuckDM » Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:20 am

To start, I'm talking about the Viper Mk IV. Yes, the heavy one. Here's the build.

It's essentially a smaller railgun version of my Challenger build from before. It deals less damage (actually twice the burst damage, but you can't fire the rails non stop even if you can hit with them constantly) and it has less shielding, but has the advantage of being a smaller and slightly more agile ship, making it harder to hit and easier to aim the fixed weapons with.

However, it has a jump range of 33.51ly (see my Challenger build for why that's enough for an exploration ship) and the Plasma Slug railguns, aside from running much cooler than rails normally would (heat is an issue with most Viper builds) also combine with the ship's 16t fuel tank to give it effectively infinite ammo. The missiles are less "renewable" but the main reason I'm flying the Viper over, say, an Imperial Courier, is because you really need 2 of these to clear out Odyssey's surface bases. Since that's all they're for, the 64 rounds in the Advanced Missile Racks are more than sufficient. They also give the ship some punch against the goids in case of emergency. (This is most certainly NOT an AX build, though.)

So there ya go. My Viper Combat Explorer build.

Jord Varelse
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Jord Varelse
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Chuck's Combat Explorers, Volume 2: The Viper

Postby Jord Varelse » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:31 am

Nice, that is exactly what I have been looking for for quite some time now! I can't see myself getting into pure combat gameplay anytime soon, but here is a ship for PVE fighting, exploring AND ground missions. The railgun / missile combination sounds fun to play. And it doesn't even rely on silly over-engineered system improvements!

Return to “Tips and Tricks”