Screen Shot Changer

Apps, websites, tools and helpers for Elite: Dangerous
User avatar
de Carabas
Master
Master
Posts: 960
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:23 pm
CMDR: de Carabas
Contact:

Screen Shot Changer

Postby de Carabas » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:42 pm

There was a post over on the main forum requesting a feature to save the current system name into the screenshot name when you hit F10. Sounded like a great idea to me so I've had a bash at writing a little application that can do it for you.

Now updated to work with the Journal files as of Elite: Dangerous 2.2 / 1.7
Current version - 1.5.0

Image

Feel free to give it a go so grab the zip file and run the .exe in it. No installer needed.

    Specify the full path to the screen shot directory (for me it's C:\Users\John\Pictures\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous).
    Do the same for videos if wanted
    Tell it where to save the new image / video (will default to same directory as the source)
    Specify the full path to the Journal files
    Choose the file type and the name format (there's a small help screen for the expressions it knows)
    Confirm if you want to delete the original file(s).
    Specify if you want any other applications launched.
    Play with the other settings that you fancy.
    Start it
    Launch the game.


It's written with VS Community 2015 in VB.net. Any thoughts, enhancements and bugs let me know but please keep in mind I'm not a coder by trade :D

For ongoing ramblings on development, change logs, versions etc see my site here
Last edited by de Carabas on Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:31 am, edited 26 times in total.
Image
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

User avatar
smartroad
Master
Master
Posts: 1199
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:14 pm
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)

Re: Screen Shot Changer

Postby smartroad » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:46 pm

OMG I could make love to you! I have often thought it would be great if the game saved the system data with the images :D

Does this work with highres shots to?
Image
Image
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

User avatar
de Carabas
Master
Master
Posts: 960
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:23 pm
CMDR: de Carabas
Contact:

Re: Screen Shot Changer

Postby de Carabas » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:27 pm

Yep, should do. I made a small change earlier to make it more reliable with HighRes by adding a bit of a delay before trying to grab the bmp as the game takes some time over creating it. It works for me and I'll update the link with a new version a little later.
Image
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

User avatar
Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
Posts: 2587
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:12 pm
CMDR: Loriath
Contact:

Re: Screen Shot Changer

Postby Loriath » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:42 pm

de Carabas wrote:Yep, should do. I made a small change earlier to make it more reliable with HighRes by adding a bit of a delay before trying to grab the bmp as the game takes some time over creating it. It works for me and I'll update the link with a new version a little later.


Very Frigin COOL! Been looking for something like this. Would you consider adding an option to move the snapshots to a different directory? I would love to be able to get them out of the default location so they don't end up being sync'd to my phone and such.

How do we give Rep/upvotes here again? +1000
Image
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

User avatar
de Carabas
Master
Master
Posts: 960
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:23 pm
CMDR: de Carabas
Contact:

Re: Screen Shot Changer

Postby de Carabas » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:51 pm

Loriath wrote:
de Carabas wrote:Yep, should do. I made a small change earlier to make it more reliable with HighRes by adding a bit of a delay before trying to grab the bmp as the game takes some time over creating it. It works for me and I'll update the link with a new version a little later.


Very Frigin COOL! Been looking for something like this. Would you consider adding an option to move the snapshots to a different directory? I would love to be able to get them out of the default location so they don't end up being sync'd to my phone and such.

How do we give Rep/upvotes here again? +1000


:D Glad you guys like it!
New version uploaded with the option to delete the original file and handles high res better.

Yep - can certainly add an option to have a different output path. I'll do that in a bit.
Image
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

User avatar
de Carabas
Master
Master
Posts: 960
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:23 pm
CMDR: de Carabas
Contact:

Re: Screen Shot Changer

Postby de Carabas » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:07 pm

Loriath wrote: Would you consider adding an option to move the snapshots to a different directory? I would love to be able to get them out of the default location so they don't end up being sync'd to my phone and such.



Done. New version, same link.
Image
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

Daniel Dakota
Expert
Expert
Posts: 289
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:43 pm
CMDR: DanDak

Re: Screen Shot Changer

Postby Daniel Dakota » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:35 pm

A big thanks from me too :)
Image

User avatar
FCB1891
Competent
Competent
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 5:35 pm
CMDR: HeliosFCB

Re: Screen Shot Changer

Postby FCB1891 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:49 pm

Gave it a try, but won't change the screenshots filetype or name.

I followed the instructions; I am using a Steam version of the game, could that be an issue?
Image

User avatar
de Carabas
Master
Master
Posts: 960
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:23 pm
CMDR: de Carabas
Contact:

Re: Screen Shot Changer

Postby de Carabas » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:53 pm

FCB1891 wrote:Gave it a try, but won't change the screenshots filetype or name.

I followed the instructions; I am using a Steam version of the game, could that be an issue?


Could be :(

Any error messages?
Image
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

User avatar
FCB1891
Competent
Competent
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 5:35 pm
CMDR: HeliosFCB

Re: Screen Shot Changer

Postby FCB1891 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:04 pm

de Carabas wrote:
FCB1891 wrote:Gave it a try, but won't change the screenshots filetype or name.

I followed the instructions; I am using a Steam version of the game, could that be an issue?


Could be :(

Any error messages?


Nope, nothing
Image


Return to “Tools and Helpers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

i