Apps, websites, tools and helpers for Elite: Dangerous
de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Screen Shot Changer

Postby de Carabas » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:52 am

But its not changed for me since the update. I blame Steam and for no real reason or with any evidence whatsoever :evil:
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

M. Kowalsky
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Matt Kowalsky
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby M. Kowalsky » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:52 pm

BlueDrache wrote:My issue is that my log file is a zero byte file until I quit the game. This happened after the recent update.
Rebooted system in the event it was on my end. It is not. This is an issue with the game. Unfortunate, since this could potentially cause a memory leak.

Edit: Just tried double clicking the file, it's being populated ... strange.

Is your Log file on a NAS device perhaps?

BlueDrache
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Blue Drache

Postby BlueDrache » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:30 pm

M. Kowalsky wrote:
BlueDrache wrote:My issue is that my log file is a zero byte file until I quit the game. This happened after the recent update.
Rebooted system in the event it was on my end. It is not. This is an issue with the game. Unfortunate, since this could potentially cause a memory leak.

Edit: Just tried double clicking the file, it's being populated ... strange.

Is your Log file on a NAS device perhaps?

Why would the log file be on a NAS? That's rather idiotic, honestly. E: D is slow enough without adding additional time for data transferring over a network/USB.
Lofting the cyberwinds on teknoleather wings, I am ...
The Blue Drache

M. Kowalsky
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Matt Kowalsky

Postby M. Kowalsky » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:34 pm

Because one might want to run one of the many third party tools from an adjoining laptop perhaps?

de Carabas
Master
Master

Postby de Carabas » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:40 pm

New version up. I found an issue with the way that the app was looking for files on first start-up, which I've sorted.
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

de Carabas
Master
Master

Postby de Carabas » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:57 pm

Another new version created. Links the same, changes on the first post.

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:14 pm

Hey, I have a feature request for you, De Carabas: would it be possible to store the user preferences (paths, options, etc) in a separate config file?

It should allow to just replace the program when you release a new version and all the preferences would be read from the same file and reused. And if you add new options to the program, just have it add default values into the existing config file when they're found to be missing or automatically update the config file if necessary.

That would be really handy. :)

Le log in the latest version should be handy too, btw. I've seen several occurrences of screenshots I knew I made to be missing from the Save Directory, and it turned out that Elite had created the bmp files, but the program somehow failed to convert and move them (even though it was running and successful with later screenshots). That was in the previous version, so hopefully if it happens again, the log will be useful to identify the problem.

Keep up the good work. This is really useful! :)
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

de Carabas
Master
Master

Postby de Carabas » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:32 am

Flip wrote:Hey, I have a feature request for you, De Carabas: would it be possible to store the user preferences (paths, options, etc) in a separate config file?

Yep, makes sense.

Flip wrote:Le log in the latest version should be handy too, btw. I've seen several occurrences of screenshots I knew I made to be missing from the Save Directory, and it turned out that Elite had created the bmp files, but the program somehow failed to convert and move them (even though it was running and successful with later screenshots). That was in the previous version, so hopefully if it happens again, the log will be useful to identify the problem.

Not following 100%. The output logfile is still there like in the last few versions. :?

Hopefully the newer version is more robust and a little more informative if there's any issues but so far I've not seen a single conversion error on the bmp's - the problems have been with getting the system name from the logfiles. Any details you can share on that would be great.

What I can do is to have the output log write (append) to a file in the same directory as the .exe so that it can be referred back to later.
Flip wrote:Keep up the good work. This is really useful! :)

:D Thanks.

Originally the intention was to keep it as simple as possible but I can see that there are a bunch of areas that it's going to creep into out of a need to keep playing with it so any ideas keep them coming.

Jeffers2112
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Jasper Randall

Postby Jeffers2112 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:25 am

I've tried running the utility but it gets "access denied" trying to get the log file. I've tried editing the permissions to give full access but that hasn't helped. I had thought about running the program as administrator but it doesn't look like that's an option?
I also found that after I shut down and restarted the utility that the path names had reverted to the defaults, is this normal?

Boozeman
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Boozeman

Postby Boozeman » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:19 am

Hi,

Found out that you can get that access denied to temp.log if you haven't set properly the rights of the directory, where the exe lies. Even if the exe is your files directory.

I make directory called ScreenShotChanger on c:\users\user\
Give it full rights with my windows user
Copied the exe there (remove that temp.log is exist)
Set directories and settings on program

When hit the enable, no more errors and access denies. No need to run as administrator.

Return to “Tools and Helpers”