Apps, websites, tools and helpers for Elite: Dangerous
de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Screen Shot Changer

Postby de Carabas » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:52 pm

OK, so the only thing it can be (I think) is that there's a problem when copying the log file to replace the temp.log.

I've updated the test version with an attempt to find an error on that copy action.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/312 ... r_test.zip

The problem is that if it doesn't throw an exception then I'm not sure what it's going to tell us. Worth a try if you fancy it BlueDrache :)
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

BlueDrache
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Blue Drache
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby BlueDrache » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:47 am

de Carabas wrote:Any other scenarios to try?

Close game, close SSChanger, restart SSChanger, log back into game so separate netlog is created. Do not delete old log file. SSChanger will pick up old log file only.
Lofting the cyberwinds on teknoleather wings, I am ...
The Blue Drache

de Carabas
Master
Master

Postby de Carabas » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:30 am

BlueDrache wrote:
de Carabas wrote:Any other scenarios to try?

Close game, close SSChanger, restart SSChanger, log back into game so separate netlog is created. Do not delete old log file. SSChanger will pick up old log file only.

Not for me. For me it detects that a new log file has been created and uses it. How odd.
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

de Carabas
Master
Master

Postby de Carabas » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:08 pm

Just tried again BlueDrache. You can see from my output below where it's picked up logfile creations after stopping and restarting the game, always getting system info from the new file.
The strange thing is that if it was a read permission issue it would error with not being able to read the old file. :?

Anyone else getting this problem?

► Show Spoiler

BlueDrache
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby BlueDrache » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:00 am

Downloaded new test one and placed in same folder as latest release. Renamed to "sschanger_test.exe"

Doubleclicked. Not running in admin mode.
Avast window warning about needing .NET framework popped up. I clicked OK and ignored it.
Window opens up just fine. Input folders as needed. Set radio buttons & checkbox as desired. (input BMP, output PNG, use <hr> name format, delete original)
Clicked Enable. It finds existing logfile.
Run game, enter Open Play.

Create screenshot of ship in existing system.
It works as advertised and finds new logfile *AFTER* creating the screenshot.

*Closes game*
*Closes SSChanger_Test*
*Restarts SSChanger_Test*
*Restarts game*
Changer appears to have found new logfile.
*Jumps to new system*
SSChanger_Test has found the proper system name and renames the file as expected.

It's working as advertised now, for me, except for my antivirus grousing about something that I already have installed and apparently installed properly.
The Blue Drache

de Carabas
Master
Master

Postby de Carabas » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:32 am

OK. Thanks for testing again. I'm glad it worked, I'm just not really sure why the issue occurred or that it won't appear again :(

Anyway, I'll sort the proper version with those changes hopefully tonight.

de Carabas
Master
Master

Postby de Carabas » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:49 pm

New version up. Same links.

BlueDrache
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby BlueDrache » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:54 am

Download new version
Start new version with admin permissions
Input folders, radio buttons and checkbox
Enable (No avast window this time)
No log files found because of empty folder
Start game (No log files found even after creation)
Current Location: SYNUEFAI MQ-C B46-0
Jump to new system (Jump Location: SYNUEFAI KH-A B47-0)
No new log file found
Take screen shot
Screenshot gets taken with log-in system's name.
Jump to HIP 109129
Take Screenshot
Screenshot is renamed to log-in system's name.

► Show Spoiler

Contents of AppConfigLocal.xml
► Show Spoiler

The Netlog*.log file is a zero byte file.

After quitting, the file is populated.
The Blue Drache

de Carabas
Master
Master

Postby de Carabas » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:22 am

Thanks BlueDrache, that gives me a few pieces to look at. It's still strange what you are seeing. :?
Anyway, a couple of bits
1. The app currently tries to get the system when it is enabled from the last logfile in the specified directory. If the game hasn't started yet then your current system is the last one recorded (from the last log-in). In your case there is no file so no system.
2. It doesn't look for a system when a new log file is created because when the file is first being written to you aren't live in game and it doesn't say what system you are in. What it does do is to record the name of the new log file for this session. Then when you create the image it knows where to go to to get the system info.
3. From everything I've tested so far, when the netLog file is being written to then Windows explorer might still show it as 0 bytes, but if you open it in notepad or take a copy you'll find there is data in there.

So, the strange thing from your output log is that it doesn't say it found a log file at any point but has then come up with an old system name, which it could only have got from a log file. That, coupled with the "empty file name is not legal" message gives me something to look at in my logic :)

Just to confirm, Steam doesn't change the path to the log files or anything like that? Can you give me the full path to the log files please?

UPDATE: OK, I've realized why it finds a system name - it gets that from the copy of the old log file from your last session. So a logic change needed in my code there so that it doesn't look in the copy if the copy didn't happen :P
So we are back to the issue that the app isn't being told that a new log file has been created by the game, hence the "empty file name" message.

UPDATE2:

This is the output log I just got. Steps are that I started my version (after some code changes), set the directories and enabled it. It found the last log file and system. Then I've started the game and hit 'play' and got as far as the Main Menu and you can see it's found a new log file.

06/08/2015 08:02:19 - Enabled
06/08/2015 08:02:19 - Logfile: G:\EDLaunch\Products\FORC-FDEV-D-1001\Logs\netLog.1508051904.01.log
06/08/2015 08:02:19 - System found: Prooe Hypue RY-R b24-17
06/08/2015 08:02:53 - Logfile created: G:\EDLaunch\Products\FORC-FDEV-D-1001\Logs\netLog.1508060802.01.log

and here is the output from exactly the same after closing everything down and emptying the games log directory

06/08/2015 08:08:44 - no log files found
06/08/2015 08:08:44 - Enabled
06/08/2015 08:08:44 - Logfile:
06/08/2015 08:09:05 - Logfile created: G:\EDLaunch\Products\FORC-FDEV-D-1001\Logs\netLog.1508060809.01.log

So I can see it's detected the logfile creation ok. New version is up with my changes but I don't think it will make any difference to the detection of a new file for you. and it might be worth a shot (if you still have the patience) as I did tweak the events that were being looked for in the file watching tool.

BlueDrache
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby BlueDrache » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:15 am

My issue is that my log file is a zero byte file until I quit the game. This happened after the recent update.
Rebooted system in the event it was on my end. It is not. This is an issue with the game. Unfortunate, since this could potentially cause a memory leak.

Edit: Just tried double clicking the file, it's being populated ... strange.
The Blue Drache

Return to “Tools and Helpers”