The place for you to catch the latest news
Strayker
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Meritus Strayker
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: PvE group growing daily

Postby Strayker » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:53 pm

GlobusDiablo wrote: The need for an official PvE mode sadly illustrated. Why the heck won't FD man up...

I would love this too. However I fear that FD are aware that if they did this then the Open playerbase would drop massively as people drift to PVE. Then pirate players would be left with largely only each other or NPCs to go after in Open, and they might then quit.

Sadly I think this is probably a case of “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time” (John Lydgate quote)

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby GlobusDiablo » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:58 pm

Strayker wrote:
GlobusDiablo wrote: The need for an official PvE mode sadly illustrated. Why the heck won't FD man up...

I would love this too. However I fear that FD are aware that if they did this then the Open playerbase would drop massively as people drift to PVE. Then pirate players would be left with largely only each other or NPCs to go after in Open, and they might then quit.

Sadly I think this is probably a case of “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time” (John Lydgate quote)

Key word for me is: choice. The more the merrier if you ask me. :)

Many "PvPers" don't want competition. They want unsuspecting cannon fodder. As it stands now we can only assume that those who don't want to be that are playing solo or group. How many would choose Mobius (or PvE) if they had the choice on the main menu?

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:30 pm

Strayker wrote:

Piracy is already so lacking in profitability the only real reason to bother with it would be to bother traders and exercise domination pvp.

As for players why would fd give half a toss if a pvp'er keeps playing. They already has his money.
Remember this is not a subscription game.
Once you buy first season. Business wise they're only concern is getting you to buy horizons the first dlc etc. Whether you play is tertiary.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Strayker
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Meritus Strayker

Postby Strayker » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:30 pm

I don't disagree with either of you. Given the choice I would absolutely go PVE, as things stand I've played mainly solo so far :(

I merely wonder whether their motivation (FD that is) for keeping the current system might be due to not wanting to alienate anyone when there will be future seasons down the line - to protect future income (assuming the bulk of future income will be from existing playerbase buying DLC). Complete guesswork (just made sense in my head - even though I would much prefer PVE)

Maybe there will be a compromise - like the rules Mobius already runs: PVP being allowed in CZs after choosing a side and so on...

James Razor
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: James Razor

Postby James Razor » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:36 am

Frontier is a company with limited resourcess and with the current state of the game i definatly belive that they tryed to swallow a chunk that is too large for them.
There is a lot of basic stuff this game is missing any half way decent WoW clone offers in terms of multiplayer gameplay. A decent group management system and a useful chat system are very low on their list i am afraid. They need to put out new content to give people a reason to keep bying their DLCs to keep the cash flowing. Polishment seems pretty low on their list as a whole.
Just to name a few things that bother me:
Orca and lack of passenger missions even 1 1/4 years after release.
Halfway bug free ranking and mission system that scales beyond medium ships.
NPC *cheating* and extremly annoying repetitive behaviour (Good Job if found you first, Big Haul, Havent written my vows, etc etc).
The questionable ship balance (i.e. jumprange for combat ships).
The fullmouthed promises regarding a lot of stuff that is yet to come and the general dissatisfaction with the bits that are allready here and last but not least:
The waste on resources on non game assets (CQC).

I have no problem with CQC, but i have a problem with the fact that it has never been properly been integrated into the game (i.e. to do CQC u would have need to fly to the CQC System and dock at the CQC Station where than u can fight in a inuniverse location where i get to watch in my Cutter from the outskirty of the arena and make bets on who will win. (U know, like passenger missions to bring them to the arena and let them watch the game and than afterwards deliver them back to the station).
At least they now came to their senses and seperated it from the main game, because it always was a seperate game that only used some of the game assets from the main game but had otherwise no real connection to it.
My System:
Intel i7 4790K @4,0 GHz
Gigabyte Z97 X Gaming 5
16 GB Team Group Inc. Extreme Series White DDR3@2800MHz
2x Gigabyte Geforce GTX 770 4GB (GV-N770OC-4GD) SLI
Samsung SSD 840 Evo 250 GB + Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:08 am

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar

Postby Falcon_D » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:57 am

Flip wrote:Image

Awesome!!! :D

And by what I've understood due to the problem accepting new commanders recently, that's this number means nearly 20k active players.

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar

Postby Falcon_D » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:05 am

I did post on the main forums a suggestion:
Don't change Open/Group/Solo as it stands. Instead, allow groups to have a PvE flag. When set, commanders in the group cannot target each other, stray shots do no damage to other commanders hull or shields, commander to commander ramming does no damage. All other forms of griefing, e.g. pad blocking, entrance blocking, purposely kiting NPCs to take on a commander (although in this game this is not very easy to do), kill stealing (happens anyway, cause of game mechanics). Can be reported to admin as per current procedure and be dealt with by them.

I believe that group admins have an easier time banning players from private groups, than FD has in banning players from the game.

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Flip » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:49 am

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous