The place for you to catch the latest news
Blackfoxx
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Blackfoxx
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: PvE group growing daily

Postby Blackfoxx » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:04 pm

I'd say it is a great show of hands that there is a lot of people who play games in multiplayer to be social, not to merely flex their muscles and prove who has the better ship. There is plenty of fun in Elite Dangerous and no reason for you to be forced into a play style that simple is not your choice.. so to have a dedicated pve group just means people can concentrate on having fun in game and well, if you truly wish to pvp in the combat zones, then you know precisely where to find them. Just follow the rules of engagement for those if you do. I've read the code of conduct for this group, and it's more than agreeable. I joined today and am glad i did!

Ameena
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Ameena
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Ameena » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:59 pm

I still haven't actually had a conversation with anyone, but since I've been back around Shinrarta Dezhra the past couple of days I've seen a lot of players around there (most often docked and out of sight in the space station, though). If I fly past someone I flash my lights at them a couple of times as a way of saying hello :).

Hrdina
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Hrdina

Postby Hrdina » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:17 am

Ameena wrote:I still haven't actually had a conversation with anyone, but since I've been back around Shinrarta Dezhra the past couple of days I've seen a lot of players around there (most often docked and out of sight in the space station, though). If I fly past someone I flash my lights at them a couple of times as a way of saying hello :).

I've actually said "hello" to a couple of other commanders, but have only flown alone.

I've seen a lot more of them since moving my base of operations closer to Lugh. :D Like you, I've frequently seen a handful who seem to be docked in station at the time.
Jameson & Son are my copilots

Emanon
Master
Master
CMDR: Emanon

Postby Emanon » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:36 am

Well the Lugh community events are still going on but may be starting to wind down. I for one am still supporting the Crimson war effort in CF zones and regularly say hi to other commanders and ask if they want to Wing up for some fighting. It's OK if you don't want to though.

On another note - congrats Mobius and this awesome community for 6k+ members! :D
CMDR Emanon

Ameena
Competent
Competent

Postby Ameena » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:59 pm

I haven't dared venture near any combat yet, lol. I've been interdicted a few times by pirates but always just run away (my thrusters are now as good as I can get 'em so this isn't hard). But at some point, when I've upgraded as much of my ship (Cobra) as I want to and have got myself a nice stash of money (for insurance payouts in event of unwanted explosions ;)), I might give it a go, swapping out my cargo holds and stuff and equipping some weaponry. So far I haven't touched that aspect of my ship - it still has the (presumably crappy) pulse lasers it came with :D.
It would be nice to have a chat with a fellow player though, even if we don't do anything much except chat. That used to be one thing I liked about EQ - you could log in and spend your whole session just chatting with friends about stuff and never actually get around to going hunting anywhere :D. I might post a generic "Hello, commanders!" tell in the Local channel some time when I'm in Jameson Memorial (or any other space station where I notice other players) and see if I get a response :).

Mobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Mobius

Postby Mobius » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:33 pm

be careful within combat zones as it is open ground, if you was to enter a zone keep an eye on other players, if you see red players then there is a chance that you will be attacked, especially in the Lugh system.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo

Postby GlobusDiablo » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:59 pm

Ameena wrote:I haven't dared venture near any combat yet, lol. I've been interdicted a few times by pirates but always just run away (my thrusters are now as good as I can get 'em so this isn't hard). But at some point, when I've upgraded as much of my ship (Cobra) as I want to and have got myself a nice stash of money (for insurance payouts in event of unwanted explosions ;)), I might give it a go, swapping out my cargo holds and stuff and equipping some weaponry. So far I haven't touched that aspect of my ship - it still has the (presumably crappy) pulse lasers it came with :D...

If you want to try your hand at combat, you could visit the nav points (located in every system) and research extraction sites (RES). Plenty of things to shoot at (after you scanned them for wanted status - or not if you're planning to be an outlaw), and these areas are PvE not PvP. :)

Ameena
Competent
Competent

Postby Ameena » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:33 pm

I was planning on maybe just letting myself get interdicted or something, I've not really looked into combat just yet. But when I do, I want to have swapped out cargo-gear for fighty-gear. So I'll probably sell my cargo holds and anything else I don't think I'll need, and then look into buying some weapons, swapping out the pulse lasers I already have (since if they're anything like pulse lasers in Frontier, they're gonna be rubbish ;)). There's all these other guns I've seen on a skim-through the list like multi-cannons and railguns and stuff so I'll need to check which looks like it does the most damage for the best value. And see what the difference is between gimbal and turret and stuff like that. And probably upgrade my shields again. And if ECM/Naval ECM is still a thing I'll get one of those as well so I don't have to worry about missiles (hopefully) :D.
But that's a while away yet - I want to finish upgrading my FSD and stuff first :).

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:29 pm

I wish you could lend people ships to try out......

Forget rails.....they're crap.....

Beams and multi cannons both gimballed are good....Fixed if you know what you are doing....As they pack a bigger punch.....Also remember on a cobra the underwing mounts have limited tracking.....You will have raise your nose to lock on most of the time.....

Fragment cannons are good, but you have to get in real close and they run out of ammo quick.

Fixed cannons are also good.....But again you have to be accurate in aiming.....

Max out your power.....shield gen and power distribution.....

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Ameena
Competent
Competent

Postby Ameena » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:58 am

I think I've got the best power coupling thingy I can but I'm a little way off maxing the actual power plant, if I remember rightly - that and the best FSD I can get are just under 1.5 million each, which is roughly how much I've got atm so I need to earn some more cash so I actually have enough to buy cargo after I upgrade one of 'em (will get the FSD first - more distance means more trading!).

It'd be nice if there was a way to try out various weapon types before buying them. A "combat simulator", basically - I know there's the single-player scenarios (I've done maybe four or five of them before I kept getting destroyed horribly/got bored if I remember rightly ;)) but those are in predetermined ships. If I'm gonna practice combat I sort of need to be doing it in my ship, so I know how it feels and stuff. It'd be cool if some systems had a sort of obstacle course/firing range where you could dodge "asteroids" and fight "enemy ships" which were actually holographic or something, and had sensors so you'd get feedback if you hit them and stuff. I mean, the various military components of each faction must train somehow, right? ;)

Another thing I wish you could do is have a thingy telling you what the contents/prices of the stockmarket are in a system you're not actually in atm - like it could give you what the prices were the last time you were there and you'd need to go there again in order to refresh it. That'd make knowing what cargo to buy so much easier in the event of being unable to remember what's in high demand in the system you're about to go to. I'm resisting the urge to just scribble it down in my notebook as I like to try and remember stuff rather than rely on notes, but might get bored at some point soon and jot stuff down anyway ;).

Return to “News and Announcements”