Ryzen 7 is great with Elite and VR

Not related at all to the game or group
User avatar
smartroad
Master
Master
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:14 pm
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)

Ryzen 7 is great with Elite and VR

Postby smartroad » Wed May 17, 2017 7:06 pm

Recently I upgraded my i5 2500K to a Ryzen 7 1700. After some teething issues, Winblows kept putting almost everything onto CPU0 causing the system to crawl, Elite works brilliantly in VR now.

With my GTX 1080 I can run Elite in VR Ultra settings with no dropped frames and a processor usage of a little over 30%. Compare that to my i5 where I had to use VR Med/High depending on if I was on a planet or in space and I would often have the frame rate drop below the magic 90fps for VR, causing stutter in the game.

My next thing is to try the software allowing you to display video (well any desktop window) in VR so I can play Elite and watch a movie in VR lol
Image
Image
Image
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

User avatar
Orochimaru
Expert
Expert
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 6:17 am
CMDR: Orochimaruh

Re: Ryzen 7 is great with Elite and VR

Postby Orochimaru » Wed May 17, 2017 7:10 pm

smartroad wrote:Recently I upgraded my i5 2500K to a Ryzen 7 1700. After some teething issues, Winblows kept putting almost everything onto CPU0 causing the system to crawl, Elite works brilliantly in VR now.

With my GTX 1080 I can run Elite in VR Ultra settings with no dropped frames and a processor usage of a little over 30%. Compare that to my i5 where I had to use VR Med/High depending on if I was on a planet or in space and I would often have the frame rate drop below the magic 90fps for VR, causing stutter in the game.

My next thing is to try the software allowing you to display video (well any desktop window) in VR so I can play Elite and watch a movie in VR lol

Sounds great.
What VR set do you use?

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk
//"ye meet orochi crazy ass vulture pilot" ^^

User avatar
smartroad
Master
Master
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:14 pm
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)

Re: Ryzen 7 is great with Elite and VR

Postby smartroad » Wed May 17, 2017 8:09 pm

Orochimaru wrote:Sounds great.
What VR set do you use?

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk


Running a Vive. Couldn't get into Oculus as I can't stand Facebook LOL
Image
Image
Image
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

TorTorden
Dangerous
Dangerous
Posts: 3254
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:13 am
CMDR: TorTorden

Re: Ryzen 7 is great with Elite and VR

Postby TorTorden » Wed May 17, 2017 8:57 pm

smartroad wrote:
Orochimaru wrote:Sounds great.
What VR set do you use?

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk


Running a Vive. Couldn't get into Oculus as I can't stand Facebook LOL


Having both I take solace in the fact that Facebook subsidize the rift price, expecting you to buy software as well.
I haven't.
Image

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

User avatar
Orochimaru
Expert
Expert
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 6:17 am
CMDR: Orochimaruh

Re: Ryzen 7 is great with Elite and VR

Postby Orochimaru » Thu May 18, 2017 3:12 am

TorTorden wrote:
smartroad wrote:
Orochimaru wrote:Sounds great.
What VR set do you use?

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk


Running a Vive. Couldn't get into Oculus as I can't stand Facebook LOL


Having both I take solace in the fact that Facebook subsidize the rift price, expecting you to buy software as well.
I haven't.



Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk
//"ye meet orochi crazy ass vulture pilot" ^^

TorTorden
Dangerous
Dangerous
Posts: 3254
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:13 am
CMDR: TorTorden

Re: Ryzen 7 is great with Elite and VR

Postby TorTorden » Fri May 19, 2017 4:16 pm

Yeah I too suspect my 2014 series is keeping a bit of my setup back.

But I'm waiting to see what Intel releases with coffee lake, possibly this summer.
And I honestly can't justify the cost of a full systems upgrade.
Besides if I am bottlenecked it's not by a lot, after having upgraded from an i5 to an i7.
And that was a noticeable difference.
Another noticeable upgrade was moving from 1600mhz RAM to 2400mhz.
Image

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

PSEUDOSOUL
Harmless
Harmless
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:14 am
CMDR: PSEUDOSOUL

Re: Ryzen 7 is great with Elite and VR

Postby PSEUDOSOUL » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:33 am

smartroad wrote:Recently I upgraded my i5 2500K to a Ryzen 7 1700. After some teething issues, Winblows kept putting almost everything onto CPU0 causing the system to crawl, Elite works brilliantly in VR now.


What did you do to use more cores? I upgraded from a 2600k OC'd to 4.8ghz and no issues, to a 1700 OC'd to 3.9ghz. I now have grey flickering when I look around. Maybe SMT should be turned off?

!!!GREAT NEWS UPDATE!!!
A new nVidia Driver was released (384.96), and once I clean wiped and installed it, the game runs better than ever.
Oculus Rift CV1 3 Sensor
Mobo - MSi X370 Gaming Pro
CPU - AMD Ryzen 1700 3.9Ghz
GPU - MSi 1080 Ti 2,075/12,200
RAM - Flare X 16gb DDR4 3200 CL14
SSD - PNY SATA3 240GB
SSHD - Seagate Firecuda 2TB/8GB


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

i