Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

The simplicity of ED

Postby Falcon_D » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:33 am

Hello,
Just went to the Star Citizen website today, just to check out its progress and on the progress of SQ42.

I was really hit by this realization:
The more features CR pumps into SC/SQ42 to more I appreciate the simplicity and beauty of ED.

<Rant>
Just let me fly the dem ship and blast my enemies. Why do I need to get out of a perfectly good ship to go pew, pew on the ground as a grunt? SC you have a choice, but seems that SQ42 (the one I was looking forward to) is going to be mandatory part of the gameplay.
</Rant>

Have fun, fly safe.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Re: The simplicity of ED

Postby TorTorden » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:32 am

There's a reason I haven't backed star citizen,

Cause a I was around for how flaky Roberts was back when (seriously he did the same with freelancer, until Microsoft bought digital anvil, fired him and pushed the game out the door).
People had been mentioning freelancer with the same breath as duke nukem forever for some time at that point.

Seriously under the Wikipedia article for "feature creep" they should have a picture of this guy.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria

Postby evovi » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:56 am

I've not really followed SC but I certainly don't like how you can "buy" the ships - and at the prices some of them go for, if I was backing or supporting it I'd be demanding something more than what's being talked about now... WIP fail!

For elites flaws, and as everyone states we are playing a beta, well, at least it's content is there for us to test and play, at a fraction of what SC is extracting from it's followers

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Loriath » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:00 pm

I backed it with the purchase of an Aurora. $45 USD. I wanted to get a Squadron 42 and some space sim, but this is gone way beyond and I doubt will ever be something I want to play. I will hang in there and try it, but I am not hopeful. Not at all.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Feldspar
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Feldspar

Postby Feldspar » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:25 pm

I payed what I probably would have payed for Squadron 42, figuring if that's all that gets released in the next couple of years I won't have lost anything. I certainly wasn't going to pay more than I have to just to get fancy ships, I don't getting a leg up in games, the first shaky footsteps are often the most fun (I still have never visited my freagle). Anything after that is a bonus.

However, given that the kickstarter was at the same time as ED, it is disheartening to hear they've recently thrown their flight model out and replaced it, there's talk about letting players be farmers (in space!) and all other kinds of things that makes me feel that if SC does get released, it will be a big wobbly mess that will take years to balance. Frontier might have it faults, but they knew they had to get a game out of the door and add to it from there. People may whine, feeling that they are perennial beta testers, but SC has people who have payed thousands to be alpha testers.

When people on the forums talk how SC will blow ED out of the water my response is that they should come back when SC is released, who knows, it could be everything that it is promising, but if I have to spend 10 minutes manually loading my cargo for a trading run, I don't care how immersive it is, there's a reason I only load trucks at work when absolutely necessary.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:09 pm

I read somewhere that in SC there will be a .72% chance of having no paper in the loo. What do you do? :P

ED may be simple, but it's kept me pretty well hooked for about 1 year now. The only thing that kept me interested longer were various flavors of Flight Simulator, but even that was off & on with plenty of submarine simulators (read that as every) thrown in to break up the monotony. Even though ED can be a grind at times, I still don't find it monotonous - and I doubt I will with new "seasons" of ED always on the "horizon". ;)
It's time to give this another go.

Silverwolf
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Silverwolf

Postby Silverwolf » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:02 pm

By the time SC comes out, I would probably need to upgrade my PC to play it.

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:57 pm

By the time it comes out, we’ll probably be able to upgrade our brains. ;)
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:05 pm

Falcon_D wrote:Just let me fly the dem ship and blast my enemies. Why do I need to get out of a perfectly good ship to go pew, pew on the ground as a grunt?

Start to worry - it's coming to ED: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... ost3117506

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:36 pm

I'm torn on that idea......

I can see it would vastly improve the scope of missions......And I've always liked the finding alien shit idea......

But I would advise them to get the flying around in space sorted out first......

Before introducing some more buggy shite to extend the list even further.....

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Return to “Off-Topic”