Baelydon
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Baelydon
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

DIY rubberizing HOTAS...

Postby Baelydon » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:41 am

Howdy!

When I started playing E:D (in July), I naturally wanted to maximize my experience and bought a hotas, as I have always been a KB & mouse gamer and haven't played any sort of flight sim since... I think... Homeworld/Aquanox/Freelancer.... era.

I started cheap and bought a T-Flight Hotas X, and as many are probably aware, it's pretty slick, as in it has no grippy grippy! I don't know how many sticks/hotas models out there have a rubber grip or not, but I'm willing to bet some of you ;) ;) have managed to get a nice DIY rubber coating of sorts going on?

Currently I use 'Plasti Dip' on any of my .... anything really... that I want a nice and inexpensive rubber coating on, from my hotas, to my mouse, keyboard, the plastic housing on my tablet, cell phone, my laptop (which has/had a very glossy finish that I absolutely hate due to infamous finger prints), I even use this stuff to rubberize my keys/keyfob/keychain and would ya belive... my coffee mug! (stanley stainless steel green thing).

Anyways.... Although this stuff is easy to apply, easy to make it look like the item was manufactured that way, and just as easy to peel it off and start over... this stuff doesn't seem to last very long on my stick & throttle or my mouse.

Within about 2 weeks of playing E:D every day, at least 8 hrs a day, that nice rubber coating started to gum up and turn shiny, gooey, and sticky right where my hands are gripping. I'm not sure what the cause is, if it's my white-knuckle death grip, my hand lotion, or just natural palm sweat (I know, gross, but it's a known problem right? right guys?.... guys? ..... lol ).

So, has anyone else used this stuff? Has anyone ran into a similar issue? Does anyone use something else similar to this, somewhat, at least something that doesn't represent something that 'Jim-bob the camo wearing, guns and ammo toting, duct tape whoring, backyard mechanic/attic scientist' might construct in his garage. No Frankensticks... :)

Before spraying it on, I sanded the surface down with a medium grit sandpaper, wiped it clean with iso-alcohol, gave it about 4 powder coats for a base coat, drying decently in between, and then ultimately applied 5 very thick wet coats with drying time in between again, followed by 3 more spit-powder coats (to give it a good even but textured feel).

I didn't use any primer because it says it's not required, and I know this stuff is suppose to be able to be peeled off somewhat easily, which it is... just not in the areas where it's started deteriorating.

I thought about going to an auto part store and looking at the rubber coating/undercoating type sprays, but I'd be willing to bet that most of them are nothing more than a heavier spray version of Plasti Dip. (With the exception of the thicker & more malleable "under coating" spray which comes out like a wax with the consistency of tar, and never really dries hard, can dig your finger nail into it once it's cured) That stuff would probably turn hands blackish-brown with use.

If anyone has used this stuff and has figured a way around it gumming up, OR, if someone has found something better to use or something to add to it, like some sort of additional top coat...whatever, I'd REALLY appreciate the feedback!!!!

I really can't stand the slick, no-grip feel of these things. (Does the X52, 55, or whathog have any sort of grip to them? I can always upgrade in a month-ish and just re-coat my current hotas until then...)

*As far as the yaw spring fix... as it's non-adjustable, I simply played around with the spring until I accidentally bent it so the hooks were now swapped places & facing opposite directions. I'd have to take it apart and show you a picture to explain it, but my mod also require the use of (either) a dremel or a file to make room for the now-deformed spring. It's a whole lot easier to twist now but still provides good snap to center still. If anyone's interested in that, let me know! I'll gladly pop it open and snap a few pics of it.

Alrighty then, thank you all in advance for anything anyone has to offer!

Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: DIY rubberizing HOTAS...

Postby Avago-Earo » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:11 am

When I saw the title of this thread I thought Thrustmaster and a condom :D.

I have a T-Flight too and use it with an after market PS3 controller and agree a nice rubberised Stick and
Throttle would be good. I remember when I had a racing cycle there was some good rubber handlebar grip but I think that's probably the 'Frankenstein' approach you were trying to avoid.

Maybe there's some rubber compound that can be painted in layers and heat shrunk on with a hair dryer?

Good luck with the project and keep us posted.
"Wibble"

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:20 am

Avago-Earo wrote:When I saw the title of this thread I thought Thrustmaster and a condom :D.

Taking the word "joystick" literally are we?

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO

Postby Avago-Earo » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:25 am

TorTorden wrote:
Avago-Earo wrote:When I saw the title of this thread I thought Thrustmaster and a condom :D.

Taking the word "joystick" literally are we?

'Thrust'...'Master'...'Hot'...'Ass'...'Joystick'

Now I understand why why my girlfriend at the time was so eager to see me un-box my T-Flight after reading the delivery notes. Her smile soon went when she saw it. That'll teach her to read my emails ;)
"Wibble"

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:03 pm

Avago-Earo wrote:'Thrust'...'Master'...'Hot'...'Ass'...'Joystick'

Now I understand why why my girlfriend at the time was so eager to see me un-box my T-Flight after reading the delivery notes. Her smile soon went when she saw it. That'll teach her to read my emails ;)

Ok, this got to me, I lost it!

Bazinga! Well Played!
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:13 pm

Good luck on your project.

I am just going to post this link here and wait for the temp ban I'm sure it earns me...
I recommend not reading that anywhere someone can see your face..
funny as all hell though.
http://www.gizmag.com/nsfw-review-realt ... men/26804/
I recommend the follow up article as well for a review of the real "joystick"..

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:25 pm

*shakes head and walks away*

Kids today... I remember when we used to have to hide our "Sensory Elevating" material under the mattresses..... Now they are weighing them on the kitchen counter....

At least all I had to worry about was papercuts, not having your body parts wrenched from your body due to an error in "Programming".
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:20 pm

Think more than me raised an eyebrow over the prospect of shoving my member into a self heated 4 pound device with that much wattage.

They have gone bust from I read so if you want one you would have to get one second hand..
Now I'm probably more open minded as the next guy but that's a bridge slash giant pile of DNA too far..

Any hoo, my work in this thread is done I won't be bringing it further off track. .

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:21 pm

In a vague attempt to bring this back on topic...

You could take a look at Frost Liquid Wrap

https://youtu.be/QS1rMoSVgBs
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Baelydon
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Baelydon

Postby Baelydon » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:08 pm

Thanks for the replies.....guys.... O.o

Xebeth, thanks you for the suggestion, sadly it appears to be almost exactly like what I'm using now just a different brand. It goes on thin and had a very small amount of grip, smells like the rubber that balloons are made of once it's dry, peels off easily (before it gums up anyways). It's nice stuff, it feels and looks almost exactly like the rubber coating that is already found on some mice and keyboards and whatnot, just not nearly as permanent.

Fortunately, my internet has been wonky most of the day, enough so I couldn't stay in the game but can at least read forums... so, I took this day off-line to strip my hotas down and recoat it all over again...until I can find something better that is.

I'm going to try to spray it on much much thicker in total this time, may even add some mild grit to it (pumice dust works great). I also found out that Plasti Dip makes some sort of top coat spray to go with the colored sprays, maybe that's what I'm missing lol.

As far as USB toys are concerned...ehem...

rechargeable is better :p

Return to “Off-Topic”