Damn Pirates

Not related at all to the game or group
smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Damn Pirates

Postby smartroad » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:13 am

Not the ones in the game, modern electronic ones who steal your card details and then use them to make fraudulent transactions!

Thankfully my bank is well on top of it and have refunded the transactions :), although I now have no plastic to pay for things for a couple of days :(

Bloody pirates...
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

AndyB
Master
Master
CMDR: Andy Bulman
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Damn Pirates

Postby AndyB » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:52 am

did you have your details copied by a scanner at a cash point? had that happen to me, thankfully the charges were so outside my usual spending patterns that the bank picked it up and put a stop on the transactions before the money came out of my account.

when i got my new card the first thing i did was take the info sticker that was on it and use it to cover the three digit code on the back. if my card gets scanned in a cash point again it will be useless to them as without that number, no absent card holder purchases can be made.
Combat: Elite Trade: Elite Exploration: Elite

Mobius PvE Group Facebook Admin,
Mobius PvE Group Forum Moderator,
Mobius PvE Lead Admin,
Mobius PvE America Lead Admin,
Mobius Factions Assistant Admin,
Mobius PvE Eurasia Assistant Admin,

clivewil
Master
Master
CMDR: clivewil + clivus

Postby clivewil » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:08 pm

no cards for me. cash for everything face to face, paypal for everything else. it doesn't grant immunity from theft but it does lessen the chances
-- Fly safely, shoot straight, kill quickly, land softly --

Gorf
Master
Master
CMDR: Hardy

Postby Gorf » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:20 pm

AndyB wrote:when i got my new card the first thing i did was take the info sticker that was on it and use it to cover the three digit code on the back. if my card gets scanned in a cash point again it will be useless to them as without that number, no absent card holder purchases can be made.

Brilliant idea!

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:48 pm

Gorf wrote:
AndyB wrote:when i got my new card the first thing i did was take the info sticker that was on it and use it to cover the three digit code on the back. if my card gets scanned in a cash point again it will be useless to them as without that number, no absent card holder purchases can be made.

Brilliant idea!

Unfortunately, there are still a lot of places online that will tkae just a number, name, and expirery date without the security code to do transactions.

If it is a mastercard, take a look at the mastercard site. They have an app that will send you an alert every time your card is used, and you can okay it or not. Perfect when you are ordering online and you only get charged when an item ships. Its an early warning shipping system. Also handy when you charge a hotel stay with the card. You get confirmation of the exact charge on your phone. May not be available in all countries. Visa may offer the same, I am not sure.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:35 pm

I use a Visa from my bank, and have it configured to text me for every transaction. It's good peace of mind.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Return to “Off-Topic”