Please put the "Cookies accept" message somewhere else ...

Questions and suggestions welcome!
uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Please put the "Cookies accept" message somewhere else ...

Postby uvelius » Sun May 24, 2015 9:10 am

Just one thing, could you put that Accept Cookies-box somewhere decent like in the header or wherever it doesn't get always into the way when visiting the forums without log-in? That would be very, very pleasing and practical, thanks so much!

Just to let some general anger loose, not against anyone here of course but against those behind that web legislation:
These messages are bloody annoying anyway, don't know which full-blown ar******* has had the brilliant idea to make that stupidity compulsory on web pages. Please be careful, your coffee may be hot. Idiotic lawyers.
Anyway, does someone know the legal background that new trend? in which countries is it compulsory, when, etc?
I mean, seriously ...

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Please put the "Cookies accept" message somewhere else ...

Postby Loriath » Sun May 24, 2015 9:37 am

It should say

" THE INTERNET USES COOKIES TO TRACK YOU. DON'T LIKE? GET OFF THE INTERNET"

That's how it works. It is supposed to be shown by any website in the EU. Not just for people in the EU.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång

Postby uvelius » Sun May 24, 2015 9:59 am

Yes. And I Iaughed about the coffee pot warning lables in the US. Ridiculous ballpoint pen bureaucrats thinking of the people as dribbling apes, and ruining the last bit of respect for the EU in their drive-by shootings ... Or which lawyer lobby may have paid best for such a law?
And what next? Wall of warnings? "Life can be deadly"? "You may choke when breathing"? "Don't go out, you could fall"?
Sometimes it is hard to keep your temper.

Wolf
Master
Master
CMDR: Dexter Wolf

Postby Wolf » Sun May 24, 2015 2:32 pm

Well, the sad truth is: I don't really have a choice here. :(
As others have already pointed out, it is EU legislation.

Regards
Wolf

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Sun May 24, 2015 10:35 pm

uvelius wrote:Sometimes it is hard to keep your temper.

That made my day! :D
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Tue May 26, 2015 6:39 am

Wolf, is there any way to make it less obtrusive? Such as a banner line as uvelius suggested? I understand it has to be there, but most sites make it a one line banner line so it makes it easier to deal with than a pop-over that blocks the main content.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

Daniel Dakota
Expert
Expert
CMDR: DanDak

Postby Daniel Dakota » Tue May 26, 2015 6:43 am

Sometimes.... it's just hard

Life that is !
:)

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)

Postby smartroad » Tue May 26, 2015 7:25 am

Ironically I found this sites solution to be some of the less intrusive. Most sites have it at the top and it demands attention, which haveing the smallest cross to close it with. Here at least it is easy to close.

That said I hate being in the EU for this sort of mindless bureaucracy, now EVERY site (nearly) tells me this and I have to click to close it. But what does it actually do? I mean the EU done it for the right reasons, to try and stop too much privacy being eroded, but if I want to use the site (and in some instances have to use) then what difference does it make? I have to accept the cookies or I can't use the site. And just about every site uses cookies! Which leads me back to having to click close every time I go to a site.

For this site, if they click 'accept' could the site store a cookie that remembers that choice so doesn't need to ask again even if you aren't logged in?
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Wolf
Master
Master
CMDR: Dexter Wolf

Postby Wolf » Tue May 26, 2015 8:18 am

smartroad wrote:Ironically I found this sites solution to be some of the less intrusive. Most sites have it at the top and it demands attention, which haveing the smallest cross to close it with. Here at least it is easy to close.

That said I hate being in the EU for this sort of mindless bureaucracy, now EVERY site (nearly) tells me this and I have to click to close it. But what does it actually do? I mean the EU done it for the right reasons, to try and stop too much privacy being eroded, but if I want to use the site (and in some instances have to use) then what difference does it make? I have to accept the cookies or I can't use the site. And just about every site uses cookies! Which leads me back to having to click close every time I go to a site.

For this site, if they click 'accept' could the site store a cookie that remembers that choice so doesn't need to ask again even if you aren't logged in?

Well, it does store it and it is not related to being logged in or not. On the three devices I usually use, it does not pop up anymore, even if I am logged out. (One of it is mobile, so changes IP all the time, so that can't be it) Do you have some strict cooky setup, or a anti-tracker plugin installed that prevents the cookie being stored correctly?

Wolf

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Tue May 26, 2015 9:23 am

I have my browser dump cookies and cache on close due to the fact that Facebook, Advertisers, and all sorts of villainous scum are using tracking to profile everything/everyone. So, yes it pops up every visit unless I am coming back in the same browsing session. I also run a blocker that blocks all and I have to whitelist for sites I want to support.

For me it is the Visual pop-over modal that perturbs me. But I am a special flower that blooms alone :)
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

Return to “Forum Support and Suggestions”