Hey CMDRs have a few quick questions

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
kilketay
Harmless
Harmless
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:07 pm
CMDR: Kilketayy
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC
Contact:

Hey CMDRs have a few quick questions

Postby kilketay » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:53 pm

Myself and 2 friends have been playing again and finding it hard to wrap our head around the new factions and engineers and all this that has changed from initial launch ( last time we played).

What are faction benefits, and do we as a group have a common faction alliegance?

What are engineers and are they worth it?

And this may be the wrong place for this but, still waiting on an invite to PVE America, still in the old Mobius PVE group from the old days.

User avatar
SonicAlpha
Competent
Competent
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:38 pm
CMDR: SonicAlpha
CMDR_Platform: PlayStation
Contact:

Re: Hey CMDRs have a few quick questions

Postby SonicAlpha » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:19 am

kilketay wrote:And this may be the wrong place for this but, still waiting on an invite to PVE America, still in the old Mobius PVE group from the old days.


If you haven't done so already, you need to resubmit your details. The join page has the steps you need to follow :)
Image

kilketay
Harmless
Harmless
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:07 pm
CMDR: Kilketayy
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC
Contact:

Re: Hey CMDRs have a few quick questions

Postby kilketay » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:49 am

SonicAlpha wrote:
kilketay wrote:And this may be the wrong place for this but, still waiting on an invite to PVE America, still in the old Mobius PVE group from the old days.


If you haven't done so already, you need to resubmit your details. The join page has the steps you need to follow :)
All 3 of us have done so already. I should have learned patience in the past 30 years i guess lol

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

User avatar
Saberius
Admin
Admin
Posts: 689
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 10:15 am
CMDR: SABERIUS
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC
Contact:

Re: Hey CMDRs have a few quick questions

Postby Saberius » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:27 pm

kilketay wrote:What are faction benefits, and do we as a group have a common faction alliegance?

Do you mean the PowerPlay factions?

kilketay wrote:What are engineers and are they worth it?

They allow you to enhance ship modules. Weight, firepower, ammunition usage etc

kilketay wrote:And this may be the wrong place for this but, still waiting on an invite to PVE America, still in the old Mobius PVE group from the old days.

If you have filled in a form and sent an in-game approval request. it should be done soon.

TorTorden
Dangerous
Dangerous
Posts: 3757
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:13 am
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified
Contact:

Re: Hey CMDRs have a few quick questions

Postby TorTorden » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:56 pm

As for factions there are two main systems.

Primary is power play, and if you get enough merit points you get a moderate payment and varying with each power some other benefits.
My personal opinion is you will spend so much time grinding merits the payout doesn't come close to what you could make just playing normally.
The only real bonus to power play was Li Yong Rui has a 15% discount on all ships and modules in his stations with no requirement, regardless of how you play just go to his stations and the prices are slashed by 15%.

The other is the BGS, which are just local factions playing a statistics game.
There is no benefit what so ever to really partake in this, you can take advantage of boom or other states to make more money but you can do that with any faction and spending a week or three to gain one or the other is far more work than just going to a system already in the desired state.

Now mobius has an in game faction based out of Azrael but there is only a very small subset of players working it.

One thing to mention are the power play bonus modules that you can buy after being pledged for a few weeks.
After engineering I would say they are a waste of time. Any normal module after decent engineering will do you far better.
Yes of course you can apply engineering to these modules as well, but they also tend to have other larger drawbacks.
A popular is the prismatic shields.
They get lots of points but weigh a lot and consume significantly more power.
They also take for ever to recharge, like 20 minutes from broken.
Bi-weaves which are not locked charges quickly.
Yes they have a lot less points but you can be back to 100% in less than five minutes.

Engineering is fairly straight forward, it just looks very convoluted.
Fulfil stat requirement x and source a bunch of stuff.
If you take your time and don't stress it, it could actually be a bit fun.
Image

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

kilketay
Harmless
Harmless
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:07 pm
CMDR: Kilketayy
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC
Contact:

Re: Hey CMDRs have a few quick questions

Postby kilketay » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:15 pm

Saberius wrote:
kilketay wrote:What are faction benefits, and do we as a group have a common faction alliegance?

Do you mean the PowerPlay factions? - Yes i ment power play factions, sorry getting used to the new terminology.

kilketay wrote:What are engineers and are they worth it?

They allow you to enhance ship modules. Weight, firepower, ammunition usage etc

kilketay wrote:And this may be the wrong place for this but, still waiting on an invite to PVE America, still in the old Mobius PVE group from the old days.

If you have filled in a form and sent an in-game approval request. it should be done soon. it seems we have all been approved already, thank you.

kilketay
Harmless
Harmless
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:07 pm
CMDR: Kilketayy
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC
Contact:

Re: Hey CMDRs have a few quick questions

Postby kilketay » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:17 pm

TorTorden wrote:As for factions there are two main systems.

Primary is power play, and if you get enough merit points you get a moderate payment and varying with each power some other benefits.
My personal opinion is you will spend so much time grinding merits the payout doesn't come close to what you could make just playing normally.
The only real bonus to power play was Li Yong Rui has a 15% discount on all ships and modules in his stations with no requirement, regardless of how you play just go to his stations and the prices are slashed by 15%.

The other is the BGS, which are just local factions playing a statistics game.
There is no benefit what so ever to really partake in this, you can take advantage of boom or other states to make more money but you can do that with any faction and spending a week or three to gain one or the other is far more work than just going to a system already in the desired state.

Now mobius has an in game faction based out of Azrael but there is only a very small subset of players working it.

One thing to mention are the power play bonus modules that you can buy after being pledged for a few weeks.
After engineering I would say they are a waste of time. Any normal module after decent engineering will do you far better.
Yes of course you can apply engineering to these modules as well, but they also tend to have other larger drawbacks.
A popular is the prismatic shields.
They get lots of points but weigh a lot and consume significantly more power.
They also take for ever to recharge, like 20 minutes from broken.
Bi-weaves which are not locked charges quickly.
Yes they have a lot less points but you can be back to 100% in less than five minutes.

Engineering is fairly straight forward, it just looks very convoluted.
Fulfil stat requirement x and source a bunch of stuff.
If you take your time and don't stress it, it could actually be a bit fun.



Thanks so much for all the information. so basically hang with a powerplay faction for the cred boost and 1 month reward of a module, then they are kind of bleh?


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], ScruffyWolf and 8 guests

i