1. Space stations always face the planet or moon they are orbiting.
2. Look at the holo representation of the station when you are approaching from way out. Rotate and tip your ship while aimed for it to see where the slot is. Tilting up pulls it down and so forth.
4. Adjust your line up based on the location of the mail slot in holo on your final approach. This should allow you be in a better position when you drop from cruise.
5. Once out of cruise, target the station, then look at the gunsight to the left of your scanner. If you are too low, dip your nose down until the solid dot is sitting right at the top of the 12 o'clock position on the gun sight. Stay at 75% speed. ( you can set that in options > controls ) I use the up arrow for 100%, left arrow for 75%, down arrow for 50% and right arrow for 25% thrust. Allot easier to keep your eyes on the screen and press one button than fiddle with your thruster keys.
6. Slowly nose up lining up the solid dot in the center of the gunsight. Once you hear the telltale ping of the mass lock from the station, press the 50% thrust button. It’s much easier to line up to the rotating slot at a slow speed. Ask for landing clearance now!
7. Tap your 'S' key to get your speed down to 99. Oddly they say the speed limit is 100 but it still shows you are speeding. There are no fines for speeding but slow and easy while you are learning is best.
8. Your gunsight is your friend, not the one on your guns lol The one to the left of the scanner! That solid dot is your pad. Sure know your number but you really don't need it. Watch your gunsight. Where is the dot? Left, right, up or down? Rotate to position that dot at the 6'oclock line of the gunsight.
9. If the dot is 'hollow', Your landing pad is behind you. Press X to stop, then tap the Z key to nudge backwards until the dot is solid. The “Q” key nudges you forward. As far as I know, the Z and Q are the default key binds. When pressed you move, when released you stop. Works in combat as well
10. Slowly go forward until the dot just touches the beginning of the ring of the gunsight. Press X to stop and then whatever key you used to bind your landing gear. I think the default is the 'L' key. I use the 'insert" key because it’s easier for me.
11. Carefully tap the 'F' key to begin your descent. Once the holo of the landing pad appears you can use the direction keys ( A and D) to line up and then make your landing.
With 1600+ hours in Elite if I said I've made thousands of landings it would be true lol
Using the above procedure I line with the slot about 90% of the time and after getting landing clearance I am on the pad and getting some hot chocolate in the station lounge in under a minute.
Good luck Commander and maybe I'll see you in the black