Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Thinking of throwing the towel in

Postby DarkMere » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:49 am

Commanders and friends that I have made here. I am thinking the time might be right for me to throw in the ED towel. Over the previous months I have had a few short notice stays in hospital, but thats not really the problem. The problem is my condition is making it difficult to control my fingers, in particular on my right hand. Mostly not a problem but a very big problem when quick reactions are required, as is often the case in many instances in ED.

I Joined ED when it was in Beta, and as of the time or writing am still not Elite at all three, not that I am bothered about that, but as you will see, despite the length of time and my eagerness to play the game. I keep having long periods out of the game. When I come back, even if its only been a month, you are seriously 'ring rusty', not to mention very frustrating. My life is too short to keep being frustrated even if I have another 30 years to go.

I keep coming back to ED, devoting time to it, making some progress and then have to stop. But there are other games I enjoy, albeit not to the same extent as ED. I have no problem driving my truck in Euro Truck Simulator. I am enjoying Eleven Tennis in VR, you don't use your fingers you swing your arm and flip your wrist. I am thinking that I should devote my time to the games that I have no problem playing and not keep devoting time to a game that is now proving to be out of my reach.

I am not being negative as I write this, I am a very positive guy. If not playing ED is the worse thing I will have to deal with then hey its not so bad, but yes I think the time has come when I have to cherry pick what games I play to fit my condition. I know that being part of Mobius in no way obligates you to support oom, but I do feel bad that I am very lacking in this department over the last 3 months. I am thinking I would like to stay on the forum, but not sure thats appropriate when I no longer play the game.

I am writing this mostly for the commanders I have come to know here, and more so the friends I have made. I could have simply made a silent withdrawal but thats not something I could do. I really did want to write this post and say thank you for putting up with my friendly fire :D

raorn
Competent
Competent
CMDR: raorn
CMDR_Platform: PlayStation

Re: Thinking of throwing the towel in

Postby raorn » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:08 am

That sucks, but it's great that you are positive. Get well.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:48 am

Hey bud. I hate to see you leave the game, but I completely understand. It sounds like E-D is a source of frustration now instead of enjoyment, and that isn't why we play video games.

I have truly enjoyed the time we have spent hunting down pirates in various RES sites, and our chit-chat along the way. If you feel like you want to give E-D another go with a wingman sometime I hope you'll send me a PM.

Remember...... games are supposed to be fun. If it's not fun anymore, then it's time to move on.

Take care my friend, and keep in touch.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:09 am

Very sorry to hear of your troubles.
And wish you and yours as much health and good times as possible and more going forward.

You have to do what you have to do, and I believe games should be a source of fun and relaxation, especially after my stint in eve online which ended up becoming a soul crushing chore of stress and drama.

I can't speak for the board in general, but I believe friends are friends.
Making them over a singular game should not necessarily mean it all goes away when someone needs to stop.

Again. whish you and yours all the best forwards and I certainly wouldn't mind if a retired space jock hung around the boards.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:32 pm

DarkMere wrote:...The problem is my condition is making it difficult to control my fingers, in particular on my right hand. Mostly not a problem but a very big problem when quick reactions are required, as is often the case in many instances in ED...

Turrets are your friend. :)

Anyway, just wanted to comment that you should never feel obligated to contribute or progress in Elite: Dangerous/Mobius/OoM. Just fly your spaceship when it suits you. That's what I do. Not so often now, but I like to jump in my Asp now and again just to fly a few trade runs.

Oh, and feel free to stick around the forum. Playing the game is not a requirement. :)

Hope your situation improves bud. Fly safe.

DarkMere
Master
Master

Postby DarkMere » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:51 pm

Thank you for your comments commanders and yes, I will probably stay around the forums to pester you all.

DarkMere
Master
Master

Postby DarkMere » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:54 pm

JohnLuke wrote: If you feel like you want to give E-D another go with a wingman sometime I hope you'll send me a PM.

Thats a done deal JohnLuke, likewise if you ever get Eleven Tennis and want some not so friendly fire, give me a shout :D

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:11 pm

Sorry to hear that DarkMere, it goes without saying that you are always welcome here, and you never know, as ED changes, you may find there are other aspects of the game that you may be able to take up in the future.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

raorn
Competent
Competent
CMDR: raorn
CMDR_Platform: PlayStation

Postby raorn » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:42 pm

DarkMere wrote:Thank you for your comments commanders and yes, I will probably stay around the forums to pester you all.
I guess you have some "Tales From The Void" to tell. I'd read it.

Echo32
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Echo32
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Echo32 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:48 pm

There is a program available that enables some of the actions in Elite to be controlled by voice, eg ‘activate frameshift drive’ etc. I’ve not used it so not sure what it is called but maybe it could help you? Best wishes.

Return to “General Discussion”