Community Support for the machines running the game
DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Too hot for a graphics card?

Postby DarkMere » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:33 am

I have recently boxed my tower unit in a little bit to hide all the wires and make things look neat. I am a little concerned about causing heat problems as the back of the tower unit, which by design is where the hot air escapes and is now more restricted than before.

I do intend over the weekend cutting a hole into the side wall of the unit I have built and fitting a 120mm USB fan to draw the warm air out. I was looking at my graphics card (Nvidia GTA 1080) temperature while running a high intensity VR game and it was up around 75c. That looked very high to me. What temperature should graphics cards run at?

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Too hot for a graphics card?

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:26 pm

Imo, that's not too bad. I believe 90 is the max safe limit. That being said, the cooler the better and the longer the card will live.
It's time to give this another go.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo

Postby GlobusDiablo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:58 pm

DarkMere wrote:...I was looking at my graphics card (Nvidia GTA 1080) temperature while running a high intensity VR game and it was up around 75c. That looked very high to me. What temperature should graphics cards run at?

75 celsius under load is actually quite good and well within working parameters:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvi ... 72-11.html

That being said, ventilation is always a good thing as heat is the number one killer of most of the components in your PC. Securing decent air flow is always a good idea.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:59 pm

10x series Nvidia cards will start to downclock when they hit 81-82c.
This is well within safe limits for the card and so 75c is perfectly fine.

To get lower while running something demanding like VR you would need excessive cooling like moving to a water block or something.

75c is nothing to worry about.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

ezra01
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: ezrakuipers01

Postby ezra01 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:17 pm

I bloody well hope that 75°c is alright xD
My laptop (not what I play elite on for obvious reasons) runs at around 70-80 per definition.
Granted that thing is basically dead, but still.

75°c while under heavy load is absolutely fine however, heck that temperature isn't that bad in general though extra cooling can always help if noise isn't a problem.
CMDR Ezrakuipers01
Basically a space taxi driver/tourist bus
Usually flying an Asp Explorer

DarkMere
Master
Master

Postby DarkMere » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:46 am

Thank you commanders for your input. I fitted the extra cooling fan to the side of my unit, so I am content that warm air cannot be trapped at the back of the tower unit. However if I am being honest, with the new fan turned on, its only making at best a 2 degree (optimistic assessment :) ) difference to the average temperature, that said with all the comment you have made above, I am happy with the situation.

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master
CMDR: Murhapuro

Postby JustSomeGuy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:22 pm

I've limited my fps to 60 as I only have a fixed 60hz monitor (no freesync / gsync). No point in trying to push 200 fps on it. By doing this my graphics card won't need to work at 100% load all the time, and that helps with the heat. Plus saves in electricity too. :)
I play on PC, in the Mobius PVE Eurasia group.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:12 am

For gpu's I find that a side panel fan is the most effective.
The gpu fans are practically always facing down and with a large card able to create a seperate air space below the CPU, RAM etc.

When I first replaced my 960 with a 980ti, I noticed the card was hitting thermal throttling at bout 80°C. I popped a case fan into the side panel in the slot that aligns with most GPU locations and push some fresh air into this pocket.

This promptly knocked the temps down from 80°C to hovering around 75c at fill load.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

LeDoyen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Le Doyen

Postby LeDoyen » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:26 am

My 1080 rarely exceeds 65°C on full load, but that rack has enough fans to takeoff on full speed :p

From all the tests i did over the years on several cases, i've always found that pushing cool air in was way more efficient than drawing warm air out (aka positive pressure in the case).

If yours is a bit limited in fan mounting possibilities, maybe it's worth looking for a new case in the long run. Those graphics cards tax the power supplies a lot more too, so these too tend to get warm, all in all, new computers run hot.

(For the curious, it's a 3U rack case that is too shallow to be closed because of the 1080, but i mounted a 3U fan plate atop in the front side with 3 Noctua 12cm fans tamed by a fan controller that pushes air into the case, effectively cooling the PSU and 1080. Two 80mm fans are mounted in front of the SSDs and RAM/chipset heatsinks, again, tamed by the fan controller. Lots of fan but no noise.)

DarkMere
Master
Master

Postby DarkMere » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:36 pm

I think I might have confused people by using the word unit to describe the cabinet I have made. What the situation was, my tower unit has been put into a (kind of) cabinet that I have made, and while I have been careful to ensure that I had adequate space around the tower unit and also vents at the back, I felt that that warm air was not being extracted from the back of the cabinet, which is why I fitted a fan into the side wall of the cabinet at the back.

Like I said the heat of the graphics card was not exceeding 75c anyway, which everyone has assured me is fine, and now that the fan is fitted I feel confident that the warm that is pushed out of the tower unit, is then extracted from the cabinet.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”