Community Support for the machines running the game
DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

VR Extra Sensor?

Postby DarkMere » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:07 am

How many of you who use VR have three sensors? There was a VR game or application, (can't remember now), that I really fancied some time back but the description said it was 360' only, and that three sensors were essential. Its the only one I have seen that said you had to have three. However they say that many 360' games and applications are greatly improved by having three sensors and I have been looking into buying a third, although I am not too keen on the £70 needed to get one.

So before jumping in with both feet, I thought I would ask the advise of anyone here who has three, or anyone who knows a bit about the pro's and con's as I have very little knowledge when it comes to this.

Thanks

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)

Re: VR Extra Sensor?

Postby smartroad » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:59 pm

Which VR system? The Vive currently only uses 2 lighthouses - which is all that is needed for the space it covers. The new generation will apparently allow additional units to allow larger and more complex spaces but the current one doesn't need them.
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:50 pm

I infer Rift by use of word "sensor".

I don't do room scale and I don't have 3 sensors. Just curious though, have you tried 2-sensor 360 setups on the diagonal? I imagine 360 won't work very well with only 2 sensors located in front for a good sitting position. Not needing to move sensors around and resetting up the play area when changing game styles may be the main benefit of adding the third sensor - as in that may "greatly improve the experience". :roll:

Not sure how sitting game work with sensors located on the diagonal, but I assume it's not as good as both in front.
It's time to give this another go.

DarkMere
Master
Master

Postby DarkMere » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:46 pm

You can give yourself 10 out of 10 for deduction Roger, spot on with the Rift. Personally I have not had a single game or application where I have had a problem, but then I have deliberately not bought the game that said you had to have three. I will try to go back to the Oculus store and find out what game it was. At the time I was thinking, if they are going to keep developing 360' dedicated games/apps, then it might be worth the investment.

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)

Postby smartroad » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:40 am

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:I infer Rift by use of word "sensor".

Ahh right. To be honest I wasn't even aware that the Rift could do room scale/standing. Cool.
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:45 am

only game I have had a problem with so far has been arizona sunshine.
And it wasn't the biggest problem with that game by far.

Mostly due to poor porting, and for me the shortness of the rift cable itself.
But honestly it, apart from VR itself, it was a shit game.

Constant annoying call outs during game play from your first person character.
Dreadful optimisation issues, some areas fps would degrade to the point of near unplayabillity.
Robo Recall is multitudes better in practically every way.

If that's the game you are thinking of, drop it.

As for other room scale titles they work rather well in the rift.
Less difference between the vive and rift than I would have expected, I only have two sensors btw.

But they still rubber stamp "require 360° area" as a matter of fact.
But even most vive games are fairly forward facing, having a horde of enemies sneak up and kill you when your field of view and situational awareness is as limited as it is in VR. It simply becomes poor gameplay.
anyhoo I digress.

If I'm not entirely mistaken I believe oculus has a similar refund policy to steam now.
So you should be able to test a game out a little before fully having to commit.

Wether a game truly needs the third sensor is mostly down to the games own gameplay and design.
But as mentioned I see practically all vive/rift cross titles get the "360°" rubber stamp merely as a method of oculus covering their backs.

For instance mounting the cameras high and angled, like above standing height they gain far more coverage as well and that's probably all that will be needed.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

DarkMere
Master
Master

Postby DarkMere » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:21 am

Thank you people for your input

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:30 am

A friend of mine uses a Rift, and we play a fair amount of play-space games together. After adding a third sensor he found that games which require fairly accurate tracking had improved performance. He started scoring higher in Cloudlands mini-golf, RecRoom disc golf, Sports bar (billiards, darts, shuffleboard) and he says that the tracking is better in Lone Echo (best VR game EVER, IMO).
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Postby thebs » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:08 pm

I was thinking of doing this, as I have issues with two (2) sensors now that I have the Touch. It's almost like it was better with one (1) sensor when I didn't have the Touch.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Postby thebs » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:52 am

thebs wrote:I was thinking of doing this, as I have issues with two (2) sensors now that I have the Touch. It's almost like it was better with one (1) sensor when I didn't have the Touch.

3rd Sensor is working great! Especially in Skyrim VR, but definitely in Elite too. Thanx for the suggestions!
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Return to “Hardware and Technical”