Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

3.0 Beta

Postby JohnLuke » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:26 pm

I'm very surprised that nobody has started a beta thread yet.

Our FB beta page and discord beta channel have been blowing up with posts today.

Here's some info to get things started

FAQ:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... e-Beta-FAQ

patch notes:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... atch-Notes
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Re: 3.0 Beta

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:50 pm

I would just advise anyone who has some engineering to do make it top priority and do it NOW......

Before this drops.........

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:00 am

Cmdr Kharma wrote:I would just advise anyone who has some engineering to do make it top priority and do it NOW......

Before this drops.........

Oh, I don't know. I thought RNGineers were total bullshit - more the process than the results. From the livestreams I watched, it looks like it will be a lot easier and make more sense than it did before.

But one thing is for sure, I've forgotten more about Elite than I remember, and now there will be a lot more to learn. And from the livestreams, it sounds like this is just a tip of the iceberg. I think I'll still hold off playing until after a few more beta releases. Then I'll really be like a noob again - and have some damn fun!
It's time to give this another go.

wrmiller
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: WilliamTell

Postby wrmiller » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:30 am

After spending a couple of hours with the new beta, I have come to a few conclusions:

One, I have no use for the new ship. It's just another pew-pew ship, and I already have the ones I want.

Two, the engineer changes are terrible. IMO. I like to play with different loadouts on my four ships, and this new system is going to be a real PITA. One good thing is the extra material capacity. You're gonna need it.

And three, I REALLY like what they've done with the planets. Real terrain, to see/run around on! :) I was out at Dav's Hope and the differences are day and night. Literally. The lighting is more subdued, and really gives a good impression of what I think it would be like on a airless planet. Elevation changes are more pronounced, edges sharper on the mountains, and the colors look really good.

Lastly, after I bought the new ship, and discovered that I need materials to finish engineering it, I realized that what I was doing is a total waste of time. Nothing I do will carry over to the release, so why spend days or weeks gathering materials for nothing? So I'm basically just going to hang out in the released game and do some bounty hunting or mission running to pass the time until the real release. 8-)

pargyrak
Master
Master
CMDR: pargyrak

Postby pargyrak » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:51 am

What you should do, if you need to buy a new ship is check out the components you require, Get a ship that you can install them in, Engineer them and store them to be ready for use after the 3.0 goes live.

For Example for the Chieftain, I am using one of my Condas, one of my Asps and got a Vulture just for the Sensor array.
I loaded up the Conda as I want to have the Chieftain and when I have time I will go around the engineers to G5 the modules as I have all the material.

I only hope that the Beta will stay Beta for another two Powerplay ticks so I can get and engineer prismatics for my combat ships.
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:17 am

The chieftan carry the same core mods as the python apart from a class lower pds.
Python is probably not the closest comparison. it was more like a fer-de-lance/FAS that didn't suck eggs.

A little light on the shields though.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

pargyrak
Master
Master
CMDR: pargyrak

Postby pargyrak » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:18 am

BTW if you have a T10 with an engineered 6A PD get a ship (Python/Conda etc) that can handle a 7A PD and engineer it.
The T10 is getting a buff to class 7 PD.
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:23 am

wrmiller wrote:Nothing I do will carry over to the release, so why spend days or weeks gathering materials for nothing?

It's a Beta release. It's there for players to hammer, take risks they wouldn't normally take in the live game, try out new things and test them to destruction. Then report back on any faults, errors, gameplay horrors and bugs to be (possibly/hopefully) sorted out by the devs before final release.

Look on it as community service.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:59 pm

Why don't people like the engineering changes. Granted, I have almost no experience. I engineered a multicannon and pulse laser on my Vulture when they first came out (level 1), and the process was so random confusing that I didn't bother with anymore. Now it seems that everybody can just go through the process and end up with "God Rolls". And with the materials trader, it should be easier to get materials (for example, I would never murder a trader or cop just to get some material). And no more slot machine graphics and meaningful RNG!
It's time to give this another go.

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Postby Relix Typhon » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:28 pm

From what I've seen (not played the beta) the engineering has been dumbed down and there is no variance anymore.
Everyone will just end up with a stock G5 module.

It's fine for casual I suppose but it's gonna literally be a case of collecting mats and clicking generate until you have said stock improvement.

Return to “General Discussion”