CMDR: SABERIUS
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

10% DISCOUNT AT SIMPIT FOR MOBIUS MEMBERS

Postby Saberius » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:16 pm

███▓▒░░ OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT ░░▒▓███
Dear all,
You may have heard of SIMPIT, http://www.simpit.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/simpittech

Mobius admin are please to announce that for the Christmas to New Years period 2017,
SIMPIT are offering a 10% discount for Mobius Community members!

In order to get the discount send an email to tomas@simpit.co.nz with header "Mobious Group Discount" ,
with an email address for invoicing and shipping address with phone number.

Offer ends 31st December 2017

███▓▒░░ OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT ░░▒▓███
Attachments
simpit.jpg
simpit.jpg (112.49 KiB) Viewed 3402 times

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo

Re: 10% DISCOUNT AT SIMPIT FOR MOBIUS MEMBERS

Postby GlobusDiablo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:35 am

I'll take two!

Damn. I don't have the space, or the cash to splash.

Wish I had though.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:53 am

End resolution isn't that much better than a rift either, the aliasing I see on the screen is actually very similar, unless you can splurge for the sony 4k projectors at the low starting price of about $6-7000, and for a proper immersion rig, you would need three of them..

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:07 pm

TorTorden wrote:End resolution isn't that much better than a rift either, the aliasing I see on the screen is actually very similar, unless you can splurge for the sony 4k projectors at the low starting price of about $6-7000, and for a proper immersion rig, you would need three of them..

You actually have one of these bad boys? Damn...

That's not fair TT. I'm not sure I like you anymore now...

:)

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:53 pm

GlobusDiablo wrote:
TorTorden wrote:End resolution isn't that much better than a rift either, the aliasing I see on the screen is actually very similar, unless you can splurge for the sony 4k projectors at the low starting price of about $6-7000, and for a proper immersion rig, you would need three of them..

No I don't.
But I have researched it and can tell from the pic, regardless how poor it is, and others that the resolution honestly compares more than one would think, and the cost of something like this is just nuts.

Not just initial purchase but also upkeep.
Yes you get significantly wider FOV than VR, that will change with the next generation of HMD's most likely.

But even some cheap DLP projectors like the Benq 1090st is only 1080p and would still cost twice that of a rift, and you kind of need three of them, althoug there are DIY projects and whatnots that pree-distorts the image rendered for a wide screen, but again, still will run at the expense of resolution.

Then it's image matching the three, inow you need a full calibration on all gear, this is not cheap, and will need to be repeated as each projector bulb ages, easily another grand every year with decent use.
Then there are bulbs on the projectors, on these cheap ones it's almost like printers, so expensive it almost becomes tempting to get a new projector instead.

Off brand bulbs sounds like a good idea but is really not an option, they either burn at the wrong colour temperatures and thus the entire image will look wrong, or even better, burn at higher temperatures the cooling for the projector isn't meant for, so using cheap bulbs tend to break the projector.
And of course doing so means loosing all warranty.

Another thing to consider, DLP flimmer, the colour wheel on single chip DLP projectors induce rainbowing artefacts and strobing.
Some can't see it, but if you are of the people who can tell the difference between 60fps and 100fps, you will probably fall into this category. And for us, it's a one way bullet train to migraine city.

Going LCD projector sorts that but doubles, if not tripples the cost of each projector, and adds input latency, although DLP projectors are getting slower as well :\

Then there is noise, expect at least a 40-50db hum of fans just from the projectors themselves.

Yes, there are reasons to go for this over VR, like using cockpit display panels etc, but ED doesn't really need these.
And now that more and more sims.
And with the now, from last night, oculus Dash beta, we are a 'mere' API implementation away from having the ability to pin desktop windows in VR and position them freely.
Or just simply click a button and have an immediate view of your desktop.
And you can get a CV1 for about $400 or less.

If I was contemplating something like this I would much rather recommend going for a flat screen and projector, and a HOTAS chair you can move around, it would then be possible to double as a Home Cinema and be a great way to watch movies and tv series with your significant others.
A sim-pit, although cool and all would honestly have all the cost and expense of great home cinema, and be almost useless for anything but simulations.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:31 pm

TorTorden wrote:
GlobusDiablo wrote:

No I don't.
But I have researched it and can tell from the pic, regardless how poor it is, and others that the resolution honestly compares more than one would think, and the cost of something like this is just nuts.

Not just initial purchase but also upkeep.
Yes you get significantly wider FOV than VR, that will change with the next generation of HMD's most likely.

But even some cheap DLP projectors like the Benq 1090st is only 1080p and would still cost twice that of a rift, and you kind of need three of them, althoug there are DIY projects and whatnots that pree-distorts the image rendered for a wide screen, but again, still will run at the expense of resolution.

Then it's image matching the three, inow you need a full calibration on all gear, this is not cheap, and will need to be repeated as each projector bulb ages, easily another grand every year with decent use.
Then there are bulbs on the projectors, on these cheap ones it's almost like printers, so expensive it almost becomes tempting to get a new projector instead.

Off brand bulbs sounds like a good idea but is really not an option, they either burn at the wrong colour temperatures and thus the entire image will look wrong, or even better, burn at higher temperatures the cooling for the projector isn't meant for, so using cheap bulbs tend to break the projector.
And of course doing so means loosing all warranty.

Another thing to consider, DLP flimmer, the colour wheel on single chip DLP projectors induce rainbowing artefacts and strobing.
Some can't see it, but if you are of the people who can tell the difference between 60fps and 100fps, you will probably fall into this category. And for us, it's a one way bullet train to migraine city.

Going LCD projector sorts that but doubles, if not tripples the cost of each projector, and adds input latency, although DLP projectors are getting slower as well :\

Then there is noise, expect at least a 40-50db hum of fans just from the projectors themselves.

Yes, there are reasons to go for this over VR, like using cockpit display panels etc, but ED doesn't really need these.
And now that more and more sims.
And with the now, from last night, oculus Dash beta, we are a 'mere' API implementation away from having the ability to pin desktop windows in VR and position them freely.
Or just simply click a button and have an immediate view of your desktop.
And you can get a CV1 for about $400 or less.

If I was contemplating something like this I would much rather recommend going for a flat screen and projector, and a HOTAS chair you can move around, it would then be possible to double as a Home Cinema and be a great way to watch movies and tv series with your significant others.
A sim-pit, although cool and all would honestly have all the cost and expense of great home cinema, and be almost useless for anything but simulations.

Also known as; a good answer. :)

Thanks TT.

Return to “News and Announcements”