Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Edddelos
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Edddelos
CMDR_Platform: PlayStation

Heavy 9er/T9

Postby Edddelos » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:15 am

So been thinking about purchasing a heavy-9 but, is it me? For the price point why is it only 220t for its size? Real life trucker here, and I've hauled many heavy/bountiful loads. Is heavy 9 really worth it?
Last edited by Edddelos on Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Heavy 9er

Postby GlobusDiablo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:02 am

Edddelos wrote:...Real life trucker here...

I think you've answered your question. :)

It takes a laid back attitude to fully appreciate its serenity. You can't rush it, and everything just takes longer. You'll get there when you get there.

To make it half decent to sail you need to upgrade, so don't buy if you haven't got the cash to splash.

And the view from the cockpit is gorgeous.

If you're looking for tips on the T9 in general, check out 777Driver on the official forum.

Keep on trucking.

Capricos
Novice
Novice
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Heavy 9er

Postby Capricos » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:24 am

To me, the T9 is the ultimate status symbol. You own because you can. It has no purpose.
For the price, I would suggest staying in a Python until you can afford an Anaconda.
Even engineered, my T9 stays under 100 at 90% throttle.
I use my T9 as a passenger liner.
If you have one now, just haul goods until you can afford something else. Hold onto it. Why not.
And again, I encourage folks to head down to the Mobius controlled systems while the Outbreak is still going on. A lot of well paying hauler missions in each system and Medicines are very high profits.

Commander Capricos.

Edddelos
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Edddelos
CMDR_Platform: PlayStation

Re: Heavy 9er/T9

Postby Edddelos » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:22 am

The Anaconda does look very appealing, until I see the price then my stomach turns...Ouch. Took me forever just to get 52mil.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo

Postby GlobusDiablo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:34 am

Edddelos wrote:The Anaconda does look very appealing, until I see the price then my stomach turns...Ouch. Took me forever just to get 52mil.

The Anaconda is a class of its own, and with a price to prove it. Don't care for the cockpit view though. But if you want to truck your way to the Conda, the T9 can get you there. But don't expect a "fun" ride.

As others have said, the Python is the most versatile ship (medium landing pads), so depending on what you fly and where to, the Python would probably be considered more "fun" to fly while grinding your way to the Conda.

While I understand the want to sail the big boats, I personally found myself going back to smaller, more agile ships for the fun factor. But whatever floats your boat. That's the beauty of Elite: Dangerous.

One important note. If you intend to "grind" your way to the Anaconda, remember to enjoy it. Enjoy the grind. Some have complained that after spending weeks "grinding" for one of the big boats, they find it's just a bigger, slower equivalent of the Asp X for example. And this is true. So don't rush it. Enjoy the ride. :)

LeDoyen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Le Doyen

Postby LeDoyen » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:18 am

Don't be fooled by the default cargo capacity of the T9, it's never maxed out.
If you fit only cargo racks it goes up to 528 tons, which is a bit more than the anaconda.
You'll want to engineer its FSD though, the jump range isn't stellar.

Anaconda has less cargo but carries it faster, so it's a thing to consider in the long run ;)

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:07 am

Edddelos wrote:So been thinking about purchasing a heavy-9 but, is it me? For the price point why is it only 220t for its size? Real life trucker here, and I've hauled many heavy/bountiful loads. Is heavy 9 really worth it?

If you are starting out and working up.

Big fat no.

On paper it can carry more cargo than a conda but it will be so slow, so unmanouverable even t7's feel snappy.

You can also get the conda for not a lot more with the purpose of hauling, at it will hold out a lot better virtually any situation and jump farther.

I do however have one for the lulz, fitted with the biggest engines and shields I can get on, armour, two turrets lasers and packhounds on every thing else.
Dubbed her "battle bessie".

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere

Postby DarkMere » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:54 am

A comment I love about the T9 which I read somewhere on either this forum or the ED forum, is that when in a T9 you do not turn the ship, you have to rotate the universe around it. I read that comment and decided to bypass the T9 and wait till I could afford a Conda. I have never owned a T9 but have flown an unmodified Conda. I was told the T9 is a lot less manoeuvrable than that. Does not bear thinking about ;)

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:08 am

DarkMere wrote:A comment I love about the T9 which I read somewhere on either this forum or the ED forum, is that when in a T9 you do not turn the ship, you have to rotate the universe around it. I read that comment and decided to bypass the T9 and wait till I could afford a Conda. I have never owned a T9 but have flown an unmodified Conda. I was told the T9 is a lot less manoeuvrable than that. Does not bear thinking about ;)

Serisouly, max rotation speed on my T9 with beefed up engines and dirty drive 3 is just barely faster than the mailslot on stations...

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

LeDoyen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Le Doyen

Postby LeDoyen » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:37 pm

it's not that bad really, but i have to admit, supercruise star dodging in a T9 is pretty scary. it's the only ship that obliges me to throttle down to turn.
I heard Cutter is not far from that too, but it may take several years before i see it for myself... that's the curse of space trucks

Return to “General Discussion”