Community Support for the machines running the game
RyanCaleb
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Need Help Finding Case for New Build

Postby RyanCaleb » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:33 pm

Hello,

I am looking for a new case for my new build and can't anything that stands out at me and works with everything I want to put in this case. I am going to water cool this build so this would need to fit 2 radiators with a few configurations and a water pump/reservoir combo. I would like to go with at minimum 1 and 2 if possible triple 120 or 140. If 2 isn't possible I would go with then a dual 120 or 140. The other few features I would need is hard drive space for two 3.5 inch hard drives and 1 SSD. One feature I would like to have but can do without is Usb C on the front of the case.

For more details: 2d character animation

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Need Help Finding Case for New Build

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:36 pm

https://www.ebuyer.com/388851-cm-storm- ... 5000w-kwn1

Expensive.......

But massive..............

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:09 am

And you would need extra long psu Carles.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:56 am

RyanCaleb wrote:Hello,

I am looking for a new case for my new build and can't anything that stands out at me and works with everything I want to put in this case. I am going to water cool this build so this would need to fit 2 radiators with a few configurations and a water pump/reservoir combo. I would like to go with at minimum 1 and 2 if possible triple 120 or 140. If 2 isn't possible I would go with then a dual 120 or 140. The other few features I would need is hard drive space for two 3.5 inch hard drives and 1 SSD. One feature I would like to have but can do without is Usb C on the front of the case.

For more details: 2d character animation

Fractal Design Define S is what I got. Love it to bits. Ticks all the boxes and more:

http://www.fractal-design.com/home/prod ... s/define-s

Review:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fra ... ,4300.html

Amazon.uk:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fractal-Design ... n+define+s

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:02 am

Also a fan of the fractal design cases.
Great flexibility, and got room for various AIO coolers, and if you don't use one there are lids as to not puncture airflow and decrease noise.
(r5 myself)
It is the quietest case I have had so far.

Only problem I had with mine was it's internals where black, and most of the screws and hardware I had was also black...
Hunting around for a run away black screw in a black case wasn't very fun.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Your neighborhood Mini-ITX Wennie

Postby thebs » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:22 am

With the availability of 210mm (8.3") or shorter "ITX" sized, US$530 GTX 1080 (as well as the new, US$450 1070 Ti), or even low-cost US$140 GTX 1060 video cards, I'm still buying Elite 110 (full ATX PS) and SilverStone SG05 (SFX PS) cases for portability. But that's just me.

Heck, they even have a 210mm (8.3") long GTX 1080 Ti now ...
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Naulta
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Naulta

Postby Naulta » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:13 am

IMO you can not find a better all around case than the Cooler Master Cosmos II

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6811119252

There is more than enough space for anything you could use it for (save maybe some of the 6+ GPU crypto currency mining rigs). Very durable doors and toolles hardware instillation. There is even a separate divided compartment for hard drives / 120X240 radiator. Beware that it is really heavy though at 42 LBS. Good luck on the hunt!

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:02 pm

Naulta wrote:IMO you can not find a better all around case than the Cooler Master Cosmos II
There is more than enough space for anything you could use it for (save maybe some of the 6+ GPU crypto currency mining rigs). Very durable doors and toolles hardware instillation. There is even a separate divided compartment for hard drives / 120X240 radiator. Beware that it is really heavy though at 42 LBS. Good luck on the hunt!

Ouch! You guys spend so much on your cases that you reach the point where you can upgrade from a GTX 1070 to a GTX 1080 Ti for the difference.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Naulta
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Naulta

Postby Naulta » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:56 pm

thebs wrote:
Naulta wrote:IMO you can not find a better all around case than the Cooler Master Cosmos II

Ouch! You guys spend so much on your cases that you reach the point where you can upgrade from a GTX 1070 to a GTX 1080 Ti for the difference.

Ha! Just bought a 1080 TI last night. Not an upgrade from a 1070 though, was using an AMD 390 and it was overheating to the point of total system shutdown when running ED in VR. I don't like to buy bleeding edge gear, but i do believe in future proofing. In terms of the house that you are going to build your gaming universe from, that case is a very solid foundation. (I had to make do with a cheap case for awhile and it is just not worth it to put superior gear in a inferior housing.)

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:02 pm

Naulta wrote:I don't like to buy bleeding edge gear, but i do believe in future proofing. In terms of the house that you are going to build your gaming universe from, that case is a very solid foundation. (I had to make do with a cheap case for awhile and it is just not worth it to put superior gear in a inferior housing.)

In my personal view (for me), US$300 isn't "futureproofing." I also remember spending nearly US$200 on one case many years back. Just never got that much use out of it. And that money has no guarantee of adequate cooling either, sometimes it's the opposite.

It's been a long time since I spend more than US$60 on a case (not including PS). And when it comes to PS, I wait for a sale+rebate, and stock up. I usually get 3 PSes for US$100, usually from 450-650W, although I did spend US$100 for a SilverStone 600W SFX, to fit in an 176x222x276mm (US 7x9x11") SilverStone SG05 case.
► Show Spoiler

About 7 years ago I figured out the best cooling solution was a small, Mini-ITX (really Mini-DTX) case, where the drives get the cool air directly from the front, the CPU gets cool air directly from the side, the GPU gets cool air directly from the other side, and hot hair is blown out the back.
Last edited by thebs on Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:57 am, edited 6 times in total.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”