Community Support for the machines running the game
tinnitus
Master
Master
CMDR: Nar Nar Goon
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Rest in Pieces Colonia.

Postby tinnitus » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:44 pm

TorTorden wrote:The thargs are only in the Pleiades.

And a bugged mission system aren't exactly new.

Hi Tor, Mr GPU Wizard, I'm thinking about buying this GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING, 11GB GDDR5X, or this one EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 ELITE GAMING, 11G-P4-6796-KR, 11GB GDDR5X, iCX Technology - 9 Thermal Sensors & RGB LED G/P/M my reading tells me they are good GPU for VR I know there are others ones that are lower in cost but it has been a good month at the Hold'em tables and I plan on building a new Threadripper or Intel PC. So your thoughts are appreciated.
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Re: Rest in Pieces Colonia.

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:08 pm

Should have really slapped this in the hardware section......

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Hi Tor, Mr GPU Wizard

Postby Xebeth » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:15 pm

And now it is :)

Moved topic to harware
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Hi Tor, Mr GPU Wizard

Postby TorTorden » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:54 pm

There is very little difference between competing 1080ti's.
The only thing really setting them apart would be cooling solution and factory overclock.
If you have seen reviews on both I'd go with the coolest running one or what include get cheaper.
Now there was a few very odd ducks launched that as very cheap comparatively but also used a cooler taken from a 1070 in the same lineup.
In short that cooler was not up to snuff and the cards would hit thermal throttling FAST!
Now if you however where prepared to replace the included cooler with something like a water block they where brilliant value, but that was an added cost of $150 or so just for the you block.
But if this was your intent to begin with you could save almost $100 getting one of those.
Don't know if these are still in play and I don't remember what supplier either.
Simply Google each card and read reviews, if there aren't any major red flags l. Two thumbs up for either.

As for new build.
I wouldn't go threadripper for gaming at all, it's good for content creation and that's it.
Like the i9 series from Intel, it's not built for gaming.
And even most high thread count enabled games aren't coded for more than eight threads, so why spend the extra for a slower 16core behemoth?
I too wanted food things for AMD with Ryzen, but it's only close but far from a cigar for gaming purposes, they make certain design concessions that just ensure it will be less responsive and adds more latency to the chain. And for VR you do not want that.
As for Intel, They will launch the replacement for the 7th series next week!
This new 8th series will be at least 10% faster for singlethread tasks, hardly any games are singlethread these days.
So how much better will the i7 8700k be vs a i7 7700k be when running all cores?
At minimum 50% better.
They are achieving this by upping cores on the i series for the first time from 4 to 6 physical cores, the i7 is hyperthreaded as usual giving a total count of twelve threads.
As well a more tier one cache and secondary cache.

I'm am very excited for what is going to come out in reviews next week once the NDA's drop.
Now I wish truly AMD could step up, and they did manage a huge leap from their previous line, but as far I'm concerned they still fall short in execution.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:45 pm

Xebeth wrote:And now it is :)

Moved topic to harware

Fuck me......

That's efficient and the most work you've done in years.......

:lol:

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

tinnitus
Master
Master

Postby tinnitus » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:51 pm

TorTorden wrote:There is very little difference between competing 1080ti's.
The only thing really setting them apart would be cooling solution and factory overclock.

Thanks a bunch Tor, am going with GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING will order it in a bit, not cheap but what the heck. As for CPU will be doing intel, (been reading a few postive and negative things about the Ripper, most WOW gamers), and maybe an ASUS Mobo or EVGA leaning towards ASUS with a little luck have a new rig before end of October.

Thanks again Mr. GPU Wizard, when I need a 95" 4K TV I will give you a jingle. :) Regards
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:30 am

WOW..
Is that still running ?

what is the comments they make on the ripper?
"Dude, I'm only getting 554 fps what a rip".

Now the ripper is an awesome behemoth, and you wouldn't be missing for heat when winter comes either.
If I was doing serious Blender renderings, or hardcore data crunching I would be all over it, it's virtually the same as an i9 monster build and doable for nearly half the price.
Of a top line Intel workstation build.

The Ryzen is a scaled down version, technically it's the other way around, the ripper is practically two Ryzens welded together, I suspect that cpu is bigger then my phone...

But I don't need a monster workstation, I'm mostly aiming for gaming performance.
And I'm betting the i7 8700k is going to rule the roost for a while there.
At least for the next 10 months or so, But two more cores and four more threads at a TDP of 95w. And pricing estimates point to a price about $50 more than a i7 7700.

Anyhoo. October 5th should be interesting.
Not that I'm buying...

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

tinnitus
Master
Master

Postby tinnitus » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:31 am

TorTorden wrote:WOW..
Is that still running ?

Yes it is have a few friends that play it all day long, not me.

what is the comments they make on the ripper?
"Dude, I'm only getting 554 fps what a rip".

Some poor souls only hit 144 :(

Comments are it is the best thing since slice bread, other are saying stuttering in NASCAR style sims, since they switched CPU, and some are seeing the Windows Repair Screen 1 in 7 Boots comparing it an overclock type problem.

Anyhoo. October 5th should be interesting.
Not that I'm buying...

I'm buying, the GPU arrives Tuesday, still working on my new system - it is going to be a game rig, new everything once I make my mind up. Have to make a trip back to Eastern Canada may as well shop in Toronto seeing that I'm going to spend a few days there each way.

Regards
Image]

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Postby thebs » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:35 am

TorTorden wrote:If you have seen reviews on both I'd go with the coolest running one or what include get cheaper.

Good, well thought out, case airflow and cooling can solve a lot of thermal issues, beyond just the card. The ambient temp in the case is what really matters most ... unless you're using water cooling, and the radiator is elsewhere, of course.

Years ago I stopped doing SLI and realized a double-slot, Mini-ITX case (technically Mini-DTX), with the GPU fans right up against the side with cool, intake air, was the best. The hard drives at the front (with a 120mm+ intake), and the CPU on the other side (with at least a 80mm intake -- although a fan vertical, on the CPU, facing that open side is best), with its own, intake air, also stay cool too. As a bonus, it's portable. But that's just me (since 2009).

TorTorden wrote:I wouldn't go threadripper for gaming at all, it's good for content creation and that's it.
Like the i9 series from Intel, it's not built for gaming.

The more cores, the lower the base clock, although the L3 cache size does increase, but that is tertiary. Also, the Intel i9 series is merely the Xeon E-series put in a desktop socket. It's literally a hack job, although it requires a major VRM (Voltage Regulator Module) spec upgrade (hence the new boards).

The Ryzen processors are typically 8% slower than Intel 7th generation, MHz for MHz, when using less cores for gaming. And the new, Intel 8th generation is a crapshoot. It's looking more like the new, 8th generation i3 (4 core) will best the i5 (6 core), as the new i3 (w/4) may be able to run 2-4 cores at higher turbo rates than the new i5 (w/6). We'll see once the reviews come out.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

tinnitus
Master
Master

Oculus Rift Debug Tool

Postby tinnitus » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:36 pm

FYI, while using the Oculus Rift debug tool to view in game performance using the Visible HUD option.
I could not remove the Hud after turning it off, after some reading I had to
edit Windows Regedit and make the change there to turn it off. Not sure why the
bugger did that but anyway it is working.
Attachments
ordbt-reg.PNG
ordbt-reg.PNG (3.75 KiB) Viewed 2840 times
ordbt.PNG
ordbt.PNG (9.16 KiB) Viewed 2840 times
Image]

Return to “Hardware and Technical”