A question about engineering concept (in general)

Community Support for the game and it's features
Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: A question about engineering concept (in general)

Postby Relix Typhon » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:49 pm

Shite rolls aside, engineering a module always improves it performance.
The main thing to watch is power usage but you can always overcharge that but it's best to get a good roll on that because thermals can be a problem.

Welcome to engineering :D

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:51 pm

DarkMere wrote: TorTorden said that it was probably partly that my combat skills had improved without me really noticing it, (or something like that :) ). Anyway I bought a standard class A Vulture just to see if he was right, as I did own one way back when, and I remembered how I faired. To cut a long story short, he was right.

Please.......

Please.......

PLEASE.......

Don't humour him......

He's bad enough as it is.........

:D

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Mythtaken
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Mythtaken

Postby Mythtaken » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:38 pm

I don't care for the Engineers. I tried it once; it made me highly irregular and swore I'd never do it again.

In our PVE galaxy, you really don't need engineered ships. You can get anywhere you want, albeit with a few more jumps (but think of what you might miss). You can successfully ward off or destroy any npc with standard weapons and shields. So it really depends on whether you feel like going through the trouble to find everything they want and then spin the wheel to see what you've won.

On the other hand, you can use engineering as part of your personal role-play session, just as you can with PowerPlay, missions, or any other part of the game. That is something I would do, if they had at least tried to disguise the RNG enough to allow my willing suspension of disbelief to kick in.

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere

Postby DarkMere » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:09 pm

Mythtaken wrote:I don't care for the Engineers. I tried it once; it made me highly irregular and swore I'd never do it again.

In our PVE galaxy, you really don't need engineered ships. You can get anywhere you want, albeit with a few more jumps (but think of what you might miss). You can successfully ward off or destroy any npc with standard weapons and shields. So it really depends on whether you feel like going through the trouble to find everything they want and then spin the wheel to see what you've won.

On the other hand, you can use engineering as part of your personal role-play session, just as you can with PowerPlay, missions, or any other part of the game. That is something I would do, if they had at least tried to disguise the RNG enough to allow my willing suspension of disbelief to kick in.

Well each to their own, it would be a boring world if we all had the same outlook. Personally, I hated the whole idea of having to go through the engineer grind, but I am really glad I did. I think its very well worth while.

Yeshe McGermot
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Yeshe McGermot

Postby Yeshe McGermot » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:47 am

Thank you all for your feedback and tips (yay, new bookmarks)!
Thing is, I don't strive to specialize my vessels, yet. I love multi role, hauling, mission running and such. So, I am looking, now and in the foreseeable future, for overall improvements to vessels, not for specialization.
Smells like engineering isn't for me at this point in time. May become more interesting in the future and maybe engineering in general is changed by FD some day.
Thanks again!
Cheers /Yeshe
"I can slump on my couch with a beer and chips and no pants on - the typical uniform of any good space trucker."
Joel Peterson, Destructoid

LeDoyen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Le Doyen

Postby LeDoyen » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:58 am

Engineering is just a way to cut on things you don't like..
I love exploring but i hate doing it at the rate of 1000ly per hour.. engineered FSD makes it better..
I love trading but i hate being slow as ass with all that cargo in my bay.. Engineered thrusters makes it better..
I love combat but it gets boring shooting the same target for 5 minutes even if i know i'll blow it up in the end... Engineers makes it faster.

Another way of seeing them is... you like a particular ship but it has something that really puts you off. One of my favorites is the diamondback explorer but its handling and speed are ass.. Again, dirty drive tuning made it awesome to me.

Not a necessity, but well worth the effort in the end... Just gather material as you go, when occasions arise.. and before you know it you'll have enough mats for a few rolls, without grinding.

Yeshe McGermot
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Yeshe McGermot

Postby Yeshe McGermot » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:08 am

LeDoyen wrote:Engineering is just a way to cut on things you don't like..
Just gather material as you go, when occasions arise.. and before you know it you'll have enough mats for a few rolls, without grinding.

On the one hand, I'll probably go with the goal of getting Anaconda and Corvette and Cutter :D and worry about engineering for specialization afterwards.
On the other hand, I already discarded a lot of data and materials while acquiring ranks and standing with Federation, Empire and Alliance that I think it's time to do some engineering to not let those left go to waste. I think you're right there.
"I can slump on my couch with a beer and chips and no pants on - the typical uniform of any good space trucker."
Joel Peterson, Destructoid

LeDoyen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Le Doyen

Postby LeDoyen » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:12 pm

even if you have low grade materials it's still worthwile to spam engineers with these to unlock upgrades.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:54 pm

It's taken me (in relation to many others) quite some time to work my way through the Engineers, most of the material and data I have used has been picked up as I've gone along, occasionally I'll spend an hour looking for something specific, but only when it's the only thing I need.

There is no need to grind for the Engineers, neither is there any need to obsess over getting 'god-rolls', even level 1 rolls offer an improvement over stock equipment, leave the Min/Max'ing to the obsessed PVP'ers.

The Engineers are now super easy to level, needing only 3 or 4 rolls at each level.

Engineers are far from perfect, but the upgrades they offer are worth it, especially the utility ones like improved FSD range.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Cmdr Schmitt
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: SCHMITT

Postby Cmdr Schmitt » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:19 am

Yeshe McGermot wrote:Hi Everyone,

I'm just trying to get myself acquainted with the concept of Engineers and I already run into a rather important question (for me).

See, I was googling away and found this post on the official forums that seemed to be what I'm looking for, about engineering for exploration.

As I'm looking through the links to inara, I find that all improvements come with drawbacks, some look very hefty to me!
Well, I'm just looking for an all around better FSD (and thruster, and distributor, and...) albeit it may be only a small improvement.

Is the engineering concept in general, that it can only be really used for specific specializations and that you have to rebuild the rest of your vessel around the drawbacks that you inevitably get along with the improvements?

If so, is it really worth grinding for players like me, more on the casual side, PvE heavy, trucking, missions and the occasionally dabbing into fighting NPCs?

Any advice or opinions from players more veteran than me to this aspect are welcome!

Cheers /Yeshe
The drawbacks of increased FSD range means nothing. I would advise you to go for lvl5 at Felicia. When it comes to system and planet scanners, there is a big drawback on weight...and it affects your jumprange. I have chosen not to upgrade those. Go for mostly D rated modules and as low class as your ship can still function. Power plant and distributor dont need to be highest class. As far as I remember you can engineer your sensors to loose a lot of weight (never understood why so heavy anyway). When going to an engineer, if you want lvl5 upgrade, you'll need materials for 3×lvl1, 3×lvl2, 3×lvl3, 3×lvl4 to get to lvl5. And then bring materials for some rolls, as they can come out pretty bad sometimes. If you get a decent roll, apply the upgrade, and try to go higher, that way you are sure to get at least some better performance. GL cmdr!

Sendt fra min SM-G920F med Tapatalk

Return to “Gameplay and Features”