The New Dr Who

Not related at all to the game or group
Myrm

The New Dr Who

Postby Myrm » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:57 pm

I see that there are a lot of unhappy Dr Who fans now that the new Dr has been revealed to be a woman. Many are saying it's political correctness gone mad.

Personally I don't have a problem with a female Dr Who. I stopped watching it after Sylvester McCoy. It seemed to go downhill from there. My only hope is that whoever chose the new Dr to be a women, didn't do so because they were too scared not to choose a woman. That they were scared of being branded as sexist if they didn't choose a woman to play the part.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: The New Dr Who

Postby Xebeth » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:11 pm

I've quite enjoyed the re-boot of Dr Who, I stopped watching during the Peter Davidson era and was pleasantly surprised by the new versions.

As for having a woman as the Dr, being someone who favours a story's lore over the misogynistic views of small minded bigots, there is no reason why not. There has been more than one reference to Time Lords changing sex, and of course The Master regenerated as Missy (played by the fantastic Michelle Gomez), so statistically it had to happen eventually.

Is there a degree of PC in it? Probably. Does it fit with the story? Yes. Was it a surprise? No, not really.

As long as Jodie Whittaker can pull of the quirky, slightly disorganised humor, coupled with the underlying darkness, and the writers get past the whole "but you're a woman" bit quickly and then never mention it again, then I have no doubt it will be an interesting new chapter.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:20 pm

I loved her in Broadchurch.....

Something different about her......Seemed slightly off the wall.....

If she can crack it I'll think she'll be a blinding doctor.......

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

IronDuke
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Iron Duke
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby IronDuke » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:08 am

Personally don't have problem with it, I hope she does well. I stopped watching in the Tom Baker years but have fond memories of the series, scaring the pants off me as a kid. On the subject of previous Dr.'s any one remember John Pertwee? Now if he played Dr. Who as Worzel Gummage THAT would have been newsworthy :lol:
Distant Worlds Expedition 3302 | 65000 LY From SOL Club

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:52 pm

Is it Dr Who fans who are complaining? Is there a reason the Dr couldn't be a woman? Doesn't the Dr regenerate, so why not into a woman? Was it done for PC reasons? Probably. But after decades of evolving storylines and new doctors, I have no problem with the Dr being played by a woman.

Similarly, I don't have a problem with Watson being played by a woman in Elementary, or if they want to have a black James Bond. That is, as long as they are modern takes on the characters. But don't try going back into the 1800's and make Watson a woman, or back to England in the 50-60's and make Bond a black guy - or a woman.

My guess is that they'll have the new Dr hidden under such frumpy clothing that you'll be hard pressed to even tell that she is a woman. :roll:
It's time to give this another go.

Myrm

Postby Myrm » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:17 pm

It's the die-hard Dr Who fans that are not happy. Interestingly, a number of women have said the new Dr should not be a woman.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:27 pm

Yea well that's just the women being un-pc.......

Do they get hung out to dry over it.......

Do they fuck.........

If people are gonna make standards......Don't make them double.......

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:43 pm

I don't think it's necessarily for PC reasons.
I suspect it's more about, that after half a century or so they are either out of ideas or bored, so why not change the one thing they haven't.

Then again I probably couldn't care less.
This thread is the only Dr who related news I have bothered with this decade.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:48 pm

There are other Time Lords that are women. This will be no difference as long as she has the chops to pull it off. The last one did nothing for me so I hope this rekindles my interest.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Return to “Off-Topic”