Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Weapon Size Compared

Postby DarkMere » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:55 am

I have been wondering when I have looked at different ships weapon points, about size versus number. We all know that in the case of weapon size, size really does matter ;)

Firstly let me nail my colors to the mast and say that I am asking because I really do not have a clue what I am talking about here, and would like to be able to draw better comparisons. So for example.

Is one class 4 beam laser better than, equal to or worse than two class 3 beam lasers? Likewise one class 3 beam laser v two class 2 beam lasers.

I have often wondered if was was a case of class 4 being worth 4, and class 3 being worth 3, so two class 3 = 6, and so being better than one class 4. However I am probably looking at it all wrong. So how can they be compared?

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orochimaruh
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Weapon Size Compared

Postby Orochimaru » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:00 pm

Hello CMDR

Check this post below with DPS and DPE graphs, that might answer some of the questions you have. https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... Shield-DPS)

Fly safe
o7
//"ye meet orochi crazy ass vulture pilot" ^^

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Postby Relix Typhon » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:08 pm

Yeah, as the linked forum post suggests, its not as simple as that. There are kinds of variables, not to mention the damage penalty that small weapons have on larger ships etc

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere

Postby DarkMere » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:17 pm

Orochimaru wrote:Hello CMDR

Check this post below with DPS and DPE graphs, that might answer some of the questions you have. https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... Shield-DPS)

Fly safe
o7

Thank you for that Commander, very interesting

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:42 pm

RD-83 wrote:Yeah, as the linked forum post suggests, its not as simple as that. There are kinds of variables, not to mention the damage penalty that small weapons have on larger ships etc

Exactly

Small weapons do 33% of their damage to large ships, and 66% of their damage to medium ships

There is a penalty against a weapons base damage, so if a small weapon's base damage is say 12 (a made up number for illustration purposes), then against a small target it does 12 damage, 8 damage against a medium target, and 4 against a large target.

But, if a large weapons base damage is say 36, it will do 36 damage against small, medium and large targets.

So in essence you loose more that the 33% reduction when dropping from large to medium weapons, you in fact loose the difference between the large and medium's base damages and 33% of the medium's base damage when attacking a large target.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas

Postby de Carabas » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:37 pm

Wow, you really do learn something new every day!
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master
CMDR: Murhapuro

Postby JustSomeGuy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:56 pm

Xebeth wrote:Small weapons do 33% of their damage to large ships, and 66% of their damage to medium ships

There is a penalty against a weapons base damage, so if a small weapon's base damage is say 12 (a made up number for illustration purposes), then against a small target it does 12 damage, 8 damage against a medium target, and 4 against a large target.

But, if a large weapons base damage is say 36, it will do 36 damage against small, medium and large targets.

So in essence you loose more that the 33% reduction when dropping from large to medium weapons, you in fact loose the difference between the large and medium's base damages and 33% of the medium's base damage when attacking a large target.

And according to the pictures on the official forums, this damage reduction is against the hull only, not shields.
I play on PC, in the Mobius PVE Eurasia group.

William Wolfen
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: William Wolfen

Postby William Wolfen » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:26 pm

JustSomeGuy wrote:
Xebeth wrote:Small weapons do 33% of their damage to large ships, and 66% of their damage to medium ships

And according to the pictures on the official forums, this damage reduction is against the hull only, not shields.

Correct. This is why I have medium lasers and a huge multi-cannon on my FDL. Keeps the hull damage penalties away from my primary hull damage gun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar

Postby Falcon_D » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:55 am

I believe also that not all ships are equal. I seem to have read somewhere that even though the FDL is a medium ship when calculating damage taken it is treated as a large ship.

William Wolfen
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: William Wolfen

Postby William Wolfen » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:20 pm

Falcon_D wrote:I believe also that not all ships are equal. I seem to have read somewhere that even though the FDL is a medium ship when calculating damage taken it is treated as a large ship.

My current understanding is that the system is a little more complicated now. The penetration number of the weapon is compared against the hull hardness of the target ship to determine the damage penalty. Some ships have higher than expected hull hardness, and some weapon types have higher penetration than others.

As to the fer de lance, it has a hull hardness equal to the corvette and cutter, which is the highest available IIRC.

Return to “General Discussion”