Community Support for the machines running the game
thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: GPU reccomendations?

Postby thebs » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:29 am

Pam Demonium wrote:I use a 970, and it runs ED wide open with no problems.

The GTX 970 / GTX 1060 are really the solid card level for Elite, even up to 2.5K/1440p, and very likely 144MHz at 2K/1080p ... basically all but 4K or VR.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Greylock3491
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Greylock3491

Postby Greylock3491 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:57 am

Pembroke wrote:I ended up going with the MSI rx 470 8gig model, mainly because I was able to pick it up for $160 But, I am pretty sure I already immediatly regret it... 35 fps on low settings is a real let down. Sorry for my time away, but to bring everyone up to speed, the PSU tested fine, but I bought a new one anyway because modular is nice, motherboard and cpu are both solid and fairly new. So after 200 dollars on new ram and a gpu, I have come to the conclusion that fate says I am not allowed to play games.

Sorry to hear about all the problems you are having! I know how disheartening it can be as my new i7 died under warranty after 45 days :-( I bought an i5 to use while I waited for the replacement i7.

The good news is I can play Elite on my i7 / 1070 combo on ultra settings, and it also plays great in vr.

BUT when I'm on the road I also play Elite on my i3 / Intel integrated graphics netbook with the only downside being the initial load time of about 2 minutes - after that the game plays fine and looks ok.

Pam Demonium
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Pam Demonium

Postby Pam Demonium » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:01 pm

thebs wrote:
Pam Demonium wrote: basically all but 4K or VR.

According to Alienware this is 970 is 4k. Cant do VR, oh well, there is a money hole I didnt fall in.

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:53 pm

Pam Demonium wrote:
thebs wrote:
Pam Demonium wrote: basically all but 4K or VR.

According to Alienware this is 970 is 4k. Cant do VR, oh well, there is a money hole I didnt fall in.

A card that is able to display an image in 4k resolution is most likely still too slow to display E:D gameplay in 30+ FPS, especially on planets and near stations.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:24 pm

I'm sure the 970 can do both 4k and vr, just not for Elite and honestly not really any VR experience that hasn't been straight ported from gear vr.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:45 am

Kinda scratching my head on why people didn't see the clear context. Highlighting for effect ...

thebs wrote:The GTX 970 / GTX 1060 are really the solid card level for Elite, even up to 2.5K/1440p, and very likely 144MHz at 2K/1080p ... basically all but 4K or VR.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Pam Demonium
Competent
Competent

Postby Pam Demonium » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:21 am

Just was in Elite, in 4k, took off, got to 8k, did a hammerhead, and landed. Said before, it wont do VR, and I have no intention to ever get any.

thebs
Master
Master

The choice is yours, I'm just expectation setting ...

Postby thebs » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:13 pm

Pam Demonium wrote:Just was in Elite, in 4k, took off, got to 8k, did a hammerhead, and landed. Said before, it wont do VR, and I have no intention to ever get any.

What is your frame rate? And with what settings? That's key.

To me, a median of 60fps is required. This is often a mean (typically what people pun-mean-pun by "average") of 45-50fps.

To have a median that is under 60fps, let alone closer to 30fps, with a mean under 30fps, is garbage for most people. And if I'm going to have to turn down settings to low/medium to get a median of 60fps, mean >45fps, then I might as well not play at that resolution.

Again, here are two OpenGL 4.x / Vulkan benchmarks from the GTX 1060 3GiB review I posted, with the Zotac Mini card (of which I personally own two 3GiB cards), the reference GTX 1060 3/6GiB cards, and the GTX 970 4GiB, among others like the GTX 980, 980 Ti and GTX 1070.

We're looking at a theme here for OpenGL 3+ and Vulkan games ...

For 2K at 60fps+ median, the GTX 970/1060 is more than enough, with the GTX 980/1070 (or 1080+) being best for 144MHz+ G-sync/Freesync
    For 2.5K at 60fps+ median, the GTX 970/1060 does the job, and GTX 980/1070 definite does, although I'd look to GTX 1080 (if not 1080Ti) for 144MHz+
    For 4K at 60fps+ median, you're talking usually at least GTX 1080

The choice is up-to-you. I'm just setting the 'expectations.' That's what I do in my job, day-in, day-out, in corporate enterprise networks and clusters. What 'works' to functional requirements and what 'works' to expectational ones, is not for me to decide.

I'm going to give the information so when someone makes a 'choice,' I'm not going to be the one they blame if the results don't match their expectations. I'd rather be 'the pisser' that keeps bringing this up, annoyingly so, than for people to say, "You didn't warn me!"

Luckily this is just a game disappointment, not a C-level office, when people don't want to 'get into the details', and 'think Bryan is wrong.' ;)

Pam Demonium
Competent
Competent

Postby Pam Demonium » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:34 pm

Lucky for me, Ive got old eyes, and have to make text big enough to see. So My 970 is run maybe half way up the resolution scale.
So Im not running it at 4k, fore I need to see what Im doing.

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:14 am

Pam Demonium wrote:Lucky for me, Ive got old eyes, and have to make text big enough to see. So My 970 is run maybe half way up the resolution scale.
So Im not running it at 4k, fore I need to see what Im doing.

I only use 4K (28") and, to a lesser extent, 2.5K (27"), for my desktop work (and have since 2014 and 2011, respectively). But I'm running at 150-200dpi via Cairo-based GTK+ and Qt (X-Server, aka Linux).

Apple and Linux are much, much better than Windows, even 10, when it comes to font scaling at 4K+ (and even 2-3K). Especially since so much crap was built on WinForms and other things in the '00s that are still around, and some vendors haven't bothered, whereas Quartz (Mac) and Cairo (X) vendor presentation have been 'the standard' in each since '01 and '03, respectively.

People constantly ask me at work, just on 2.5K (my dual-4K is at home, 2.5K at office), "How do you get your Windows to look that good?" And I always say, "It's not Windows."

Return to “Hardware and Technical”