DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

I hate and I mean HATE engineers

Postby DarkMere » Tue May 09, 2017 9:21 am

Because I am totally lazy.

I could never be bother to grind in this game since it went live, preferring to simply enjoy it and let the credits come at their own pace. I have also never traded, never bought or sold a single unit of goods, although my trading ranking seems to increase at a steady pace just by selling the goods I am given as part of completing a mission.

I have a ship for going out into the deep, a ship for passengers, and so I never do anything for very long otherwise I get bored. When I am not in the deep or taking passenger runs, I only ever take data transfer missions or goods convoy missions, except for special occasions like buying medical supplies for oom. So I have avoided having to actually work at anything.

Now we come to engineers. You realise that eventuality using the services of engineers is something you have to be a part of. So having recently taken delivery of my Python and improved it as much as possibility by outfitting means, I decided to bite the bullet as the Python is clearly going to be a 'keeper' ship. I did not fancy putting a fuel scoop on it for the 21 hop journey to Mt Blaster, I wanted something quick, so I bought a couple of class 6 fuel tanks, which was as it turned out a massive overkill as they got me there and back barely touching the main tank. So there I am with Mr Blaster only to find that I don't have the materials required for the basic upgrades. So now I am going to be forced into actually doing some work to go around getting them, and like I said, my nature is to be a lazy sod.

However all that will have to wait, there is a war about to begin and so I am heading back in time join in, but yes I hate engineers.

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orochimaruh
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: I hate and I mean HATE engineers

Postby Orochimaru » Tue May 09, 2017 9:55 am

DarkMere wrote:Because I am totally lazy.

I could never be bother to grind in this game since it went live, preferring to simply enjoy it and let the credits come at their own pace. I have also never traded, never bought or sold a single unit of goods, although my trading ranking seems to increase at a steady pace just by selling the goods I am given as part of completing a mission.

I have a ship for going out into the deep, a ship for passengers, and so I never do anything for very long otherwise I get bored. When I am not in the deep or taking passenger runs, I only ever take data transfer missions or goods convoy missions, except for special occasions like buying medical supplies for oom. So I have avoided having to actually work at anything.

Now we come to engineers. You realise that eventuality using the services of engineers is something you have to be a part of. So having recently taken delivery of my Python and improved it as much as possibility by outfitting means, I decided to bite the bullet as the Python is clearly going to be a 'keeper' ship. I did not fancy putting a fuel scoop on it for the 21 hop journey to Mt Blaster, I wanted something quick, so I bought a couple of class 6 fuel tanks, which was as it turned out a massive overkill as they got me there and back barely touching the main tank. So there I am with Mr Blaster only to find that I don't have the materials required for the basic upgrades. So now I am going to be forced into actually doing some work to go around getting them, and like I said, my nature is to be a lazy sod.

However all that will have to wait, there is a war about to begin and so I am heading back in time join in, but yes I hate engineers.

Totally understand the being lazy part. I get enough grinding and serious stuff in work, so when I play I do it for fun.

I do the same in other games: I never achieve 100%; I'd rather have a 3rd Age Legendary Bow and enjoy exploring in LotRO, than to grind for weeks to get the 1st Age Bow.
I play Skyrim and will (never) unlock all steam badges.

If it's not fun, I do not do it.

But fun is different for every person and I respect those that reach higher levels than I do. They have my respect.

I will get to Elite, eventually, but I focus on the journey. No deadlines or milestones. I will get there, when I get there.

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk
//"ye meet orochi crazy ass vulture pilot" ^^

John Tenzer
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Gunnar Hagedorn

Postby John Tenzer » Tue May 09, 2017 10:12 am

Well, you are playing in an open Universe and within a PvE-Group. There is not really a competition around here (except for the higher tiers in Community Goals), the interaction is reduced to be cooperative or informative.

Thus you don't have to feel forced into doing stuff you don't like to do, or into accelerating your pace further than you like.

So, if engineers and their grinding mechanisms aren't your thing, skip them and play the game you like.

It's really as simple as that. 8-)

DarkMere
Master
Master

Postby DarkMere » Tue May 09, 2017 10:29 am

John Tenzer wrote:Well, you are playing in an open Universe and within a PvE-Group. There is not really a competition around here (except for the higher tiers in Community Goals), the interaction is reduced to be cooperative or informative.

Thus you don't have to feel forced into doing stuff you don't like to do, or into accelerating your pace further than you like.

So, if engineers and their grinding mechanisms aren't your thing, skip them and play the game you like.

It's really as simple as that. 8-)

True but then I am committed to fighting for the oom in its wars, as being a part of this community has ticked a few boxes for me. I find myself running for cover a little too often and not being able to have the weapons loadout I would prefer, all of which can be aided by the help of engineers.

Lanceor
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Lanceor

Postby Lanceor » Tue May 09, 2017 10:53 am

The trick is NOT to grind for Engineers - not much anyway. Just get the basic upgrades. Grade 3 everything on your ship is enough to make it overpowered for anything that NPCs can throw at you. Grade 5 stuff is for when you want to PvP, or want to build the ultimate ship.

If you do a variety of different tasks and missions without worrying about the engineers, you'll end up hoarding a lot of materials without realising it. If the mood strikes you, then go and hunt down that elusive component to get the mod that you want. But most of the time you should be doing stuff that you enjoy instead.

Also, do yourself a favour and get a long ranged Asp or DBX for moving stuff around - it will save your sanity. You can swap modules between ships, so where possible use your long-ranged ship for engineer runs.
Very little game time, but often chatting at work.

John Tenzer
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Gunnar Hagedorn

Postby John Tenzer » Tue May 09, 2017 11:26 am

DarkMere wrote:True but then I am committed to fighting for the oom in its wars, as being a part of this community has ticked a few boxes for me. I find myself running for cover a little too often and not being able to have the weapons loadout I would prefer, all of which can be aided by the help of engineers.

Well, that's called: "Priorities", then...!

;)

I honestly wonder a bit about the issue you have with the grinding thing.

Regarding your signature you are a player of the first generation of ELITE, which was one of the first games with the basic concept of grinding ever released on home computers.
You flew through the galaxy hauling stuff around and thus grinding as much money you needed to buy the modules you wanted. And I remember it involved quite some time and lots of running away and trucking around until you got a half decent ship during that era. (At least it did on my version on the STE.)

This concept didn't change during the following incarnations but was merely extended to being able to buy different ships and having more options you could grind money from.

That's all there was and all there is to ELITE.

The trick is not to get drawn into the chest-thumping competitive society of "professional" players, showing off their achievements (by just having had more dice rolls, due to them having spend more time than you on whatever was needed to do, or simply more luck in the lottery).

Focus on yourself and do what you like to do, and be happy if you sometimes find a shortcut to what you wanted to achieve.

Kind of a life lesson you should have incorporated by now, anyway...! ;)
Last edited by John Tenzer on Tue May 09, 2017 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orochimaruh

Postby Orochimaru » Tue May 09, 2017 11:28 am

John Tenzer wrote:
DarkMere wrote:True but then I am committed to fighting for the oom in its wars, as being a part of this community has ticked a few boxes for me. I find myself running for cover a little too often and not being able to have the weapons loadout I would prefer, all of which can be aided by the help of engineers.

Well, that's called: "Priorities", then...!

;)

I honestly wonder a bit about the issue you have with the grinding thing.

Regarding your signature you are a player of the first generation of ELITE, which was one of the first games with the basic concept of grinding ever released on home computers. You flew through the galaxy hauling stuff around and thus grinding as much money you needed to buy the modules you wanted. And I remember it involved quite some time and lots of running away and trucking around until you got a half decent ship during that era. (At least it did on my version on the STE.)

This concept didn't change during the following incarnations but was merely extended to being able to buy different ships and having more options you could grind money from.

That's all there was and all there is to ELITE.

The trick is not to get drawn into the chest-thumping competitive societyity of "professional" players, showing off their achievements (by just having had more dice rolls, due to them having spend more time than you on whatever was needed to do, or simply more luck in the lottery).

Focus on yourself and do what you like to do, and be happy if you sometimes find a shortcut to what you wanted to achieve.

Kind of a life lesson you should have incorporated by now, anyway...! ;)

Good point.
For having indulged in grindfests in previous times, I stay away from it now. Enough is enough.

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk
//"ye meet orochi crazy ass vulture pilot" ^^

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Tue May 09, 2017 11:45 am

As someone who has now practically unlocked and ranked with all the engineers available.
I'd say there are about three I would highly recommend.

Farseer:
That FSD increase is nearly a must, it's the difference of my corvette doing 14ly, or 18-19ly with full battle fit.
She also does thrusters to lvl 3, and the increase between lvl 3 and lvl 5 that require Palin, probably the worst unlock in the game.
, and reactors to lvl 1 if you are prudent with power management, that's plenty.
She's a basic one stop shop for general utility and QOL upgrades.
For combat you have Lei Chung who does shield generators to 5.
Getting rid of the thermal resist hole on shields is like trippeling your shield strength, well worth it.

The rest is really just nice to have's.
As for nice to have's though, I can mention that an A rated stock imperial courier boosts at about 370ms.
My DD 5 corvette does 337ms in boost and that's a mediocre roll....
I also have a quite well upgraded vulture, just from using "crap in my pocket" that jumps 20ly, pumps pulse lasers like you wouldn't belive and tanks like an old conda build.
All the while almost handling like a Taipan fighter and boosting at 470ms.
Like lori said a little while ago.

"I'm in cobra. Why am I being passed by a vulture?, going backwards!!"

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

DarkMere
Master
Master

Postby DarkMere » Tue May 09, 2017 12:30 pm

John Tenzer wrote:I honestly wonder a bit about the issue you have with the grinding thing.

Regarding your signature you are a player of the first generation of ELITE, which was one of the first games with the basic concept of grinding ever released on home computers.
You flew through the galaxy hauling stuff around and thus grinding as much money you needed to buy the modules you wanted. And I remember it involved quite some time and lots of running away and trucking around until you got a half decent ship during that era. (At least it did on my version on the STE.)

I think we tend to become less grinding animals between the age of 30 and mid 60's :)

evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria

Postby evovi » Tue May 09, 2017 1:04 pm

TorTorden wrote:As someone who has now practically unlocked and ranked with all the engineers available.
I'd say there are about three I would highly recommend.

Farseer:
That FSD increase is nearly a must, it's the difference of my corvette doing 14ly, or 18-19ly with full battle fit.
She also does thrusters to lvl 3, and the increase between lvl 3 and lvl 5 that require Palin, probably the worst unlock in the game.
, and reactors to lvl 1 if you are prudent with power management, that's plenty.
She's a basic one stop shop for general utility and QOL upgrades.
For combat you have Lei Chung who does shield generators to 5.
Getting rid of the thermal resist hole on shields is like trippeling your shield strength, well worth it.

The rest is really just nice to have's.
As for nice to have's though, I can mention that an A rated stock imperial courier boosts at about 370ms.
My DD 5 corvette does 337ms in boost and that's a mediocre roll....
I also have a quite well upgraded vulture, just from using "crap in my pocket" that jumps 20ly, pumps pulse lasers like you wouldn't belive and tanks like an old conda build.
All the while almost handling like a Taipan fighter and boosting at 470ms.
Like lori said a little while ago.

"I'm in cobra. Why am I being passed by a vulture?, going backwards!!"

Was thinking of getting a vulture up and running again, Can I trouble you for your rng build?

--------

As for grinding, I've been loathed to do some things but, I've ended up doing it, mainly when I knew I had a good few hours spare, I sorta knew which direction I wanted to head in so using the blueprints in ed engineer if I had an hour I'd dedicate it to planet exploring, tag it together with arsenic for example and then I'd find the highest yield planet closest using eddb, then I'd land, deploy srv, climb mountains, fall down canyons, get stuck in rock fields, basically have a giggle with a disposable srv - any outcrops along the way I farmed, an hour would give me 15 arsenic on a good run and likewise I've hit the big zero on others

The only time that the grind has really annoyed me to the point of logging off (until I found a trick out) was scanning for the 50 data things - once I'd learned of convoy beacons it gave me the data things and also chemical manipulators so win win

But, in about done now, party of yoru gets my attention when I'm at a loss what to do, other than that I just now need to move my fdl into its next stage of life :)

Return to “General Discussion”