CMDR RookieBill

Welcome Commander! Introduce yourself in here.
wrmiller
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: WilliamTell
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

CMDR RookieBill

Postby wrmiller » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:37 am

Hello Commanders,

Received this game as a present last Dec., so been playing for almost 4 months now.

In real life I'm an older engineer type in Arizona, US who likes flight sims and FPS games. This is my first MMO game and honestly, thought it had a single player mode. Oops... :)

No biggie. I've been playing Solo doing missions, gaining rank (Feds), the occasional jaunt out to a nebula or something, and occasionally pop into a RES site for a change of pace. I signed up for Mobius a couple of months ago, and promptly forgot I had signed up. Just got back in yesterday and have been flying in Mobius PVE since. I've seen a few open squares but have not attempted to contact anyone (I assume by using the #2 key and typing something), nor has anyone tried contacting me. Hopefully it was not because I was buzzing around in a Corvette.

I can also be seen flying around in my Python or my AspE depending on what I am doing at that moment. I was trying to grind out the last two Imperial ranks so I can get a Cutter (no...I can't afford it yet), but since 2.3 arrived everything seems to have been cut back quite a bit. Hopefully that will change after things settle down a bit. I've not tried pirating, bounty hunting, smuggling, or anything other than missions. The 'life on the edge' stuff hasn't really interested me yet. Closest thing I do is go find a nice ringed planet and babysit/watch over a miner or two and blow up any NPC pirate that tries to mess with them. That's kinda fun. However as I barely engineer my ships, I will refrain from taking on a wing of 'condas. :shock:

Look forward to saying "Hi" to some of you folks out there.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: CMDR RookieBill

Postby JohnLuke » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:36 am

Greetings and welcome to the message board, Commander RookieBill.

Not sure if "Rookie" should be in your alias, since you own a Vette. ;)

I'm also in sunny Arizona.... east valley of Phoenix to be more precise. Hi neighbor!

I don't know that E-D is really an MMO, but we have about 38,000 members in our little community. Glad you've seen some signs of life in your travels. If you want to communicate more with the gang, check out some of the links below.

Feel free to add your name to one of our 'In game friends lists'

In game friends list for PC
Xbox EU and Xbox US

and check out our TeamSpeak servers or Discord (voice and text chat) servers to easily chat with, and possibly wing up with other commanders.

Also, make sure to check the Policy page if you haven't already Image.

On top of all of that, we also have a Facebook group and Twitter feed.

Finally, if you are interested in being involved, go here to see information about our player group faction, the Order of Mobius (based at Rafferty's Mobius station in the Azrael system). We have our own Order of Mobius Twitter feed.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Boses
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Boses

Postby Boses » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:46 pm

If you're ever in the Azrael neighborhood and need a wingman hit me up. I'm West coast (Cali) so timezones are close enough to work...

wrmiller
Harmless
Harmless

Postby wrmiller » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:09 pm

Thanks for the welcome JohnLuke. :)

I changed my commander's name when I did an early reset to my character after fumbling around for about a month, and have had that name since. I don't think I can change it without resetting my player? It might still be appropriate since there are many aspects of the game I am unfamiliar with. I don't even know how to interdict someone, or use a SCB. And I'm not sure what TeamSpeak is, although it sounds like I could use my headset to talk to folks. Maybe. It's kinda sad really: I've been an engineer in the high-tech world almost my whole life and have designed/built some aspects of that world, but am a complete noob when it comes to PC gaming with others.

And "Hi neighbor" back at ya! We lived for a while in Mesa, but now we're in Sierra Vista and 'becoming retired'. Son and daughter both have their families up there though, and the wife is driving up today to spend the weekend with our daughter. So I'm a bachelor for the weekend and will have to get some 'game time' in. :D

I will give the hyperlinks you posted a look see, thanks. I am currently hanging out at FoundersWorld (and have seen about a half-dozen open squares already), as the other areas I had allied with all see to have dried up mission and RES wise. For buying/outfitting ships I have not found a better place than FoundersWorld. Maybe someone could point me towards a new home? I'd still like to eventually finish up my Imperial ranking...

Oh...and I'd like to apologize to whomever was attempting to leave the station at FoundersWorld last night in an Asp. I had just finished running a few missions and was blasting sideways towards the mail slot when I noticed a real player attempting to leave as I was flying in. I had too much speed to stop/slow down, but we managed not to hit one another (I was in the purple Python). Not used to playing with other real folks, so I will tone down the flying antics as I get near a station. Again, sorry.

Looking forward to meeting some folks, and maybe joining up for missions or whatever you guys do. I'm 'fair' at PVE combat (Master ranking) although the only ship I currently have set up for PVE RES sites is my Corvette. It's not a engineered 'tank', but I have managed to take out a wing of three (conda, two vultures) with him. They did almost get through my shields though. Guess I need to figure out how to use a SCB. My Python will hold her own in an inderdiction, but I use her mostly as a 'armed trader'. She managed to take out a Dangerous FDL the other day, but took some serious damage doing so. My AspE is my 'lets fly around and see things' ship. Lightly armed. I am going to refrain from taking on any more Dangerous or Elite pirates unless I am flying the Big Guy. That's why I got him of course.

Maybe, one of these days, I will find someone who is interested in showing a new guy how to really play this game. :)

wrmiller
Harmless
Harmless

Postby wrmiller » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:25 pm

Boses wrote:If you're ever in the Azrael neighborhood and need a wingman hit me up. I'm West coast (Cali) so timezones are close enough to work...

That is something I've never done, but sounds like fun. I think we are only one hour apart?

I'll have to look up Azrael and see how far it is from FoundersWorld where I'm currently hanging out. I'll be playing a fair bit this weekend because the wife is headed up to our daughters. :D

I can bring either my Python or my 'Vette, depending on what we're going to do.

Oh, and how do I get one of those cool INARA signature bars? :)

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby JohnLuke » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:52 pm

wrmiller wrote:Thanks for the welcome JohnLuke. :)

<<snip>>

Maybe, one of these days, I will find someone who is interested in showing a new guy how to really play this game. :)

If you want to change your commander name, you can submit a ticket with FD and request the change. I know of a few guys who have done that. You don't lose your progress in the game.

Sierra Vista, eh? Had to fire up Google maps to see where that is. :roll: You're WAY down south! I look forward to retiring in a few years (well.... 7 really), then I can move to wherever the hell I want. :D

TeamSpeak is for voice comms.... which can be in the form of the social chat rooms, or more specific areas used for wing comms. Discord is great too.... for text chat areas as well as voice chat for wings. Both have far superior voice quality when compared to in-game comms.

Founders world has everything and is 10% off, so it's a great place to call home. You can get ships and modules at 15% in LYR systems, but the convenience of one stop shopping in Founder's may be worth the 5% difference.

You asked about Imperial sysems. I call Wong Guin home. It's in empire space, and is pretty close to the Order of Mobius systems (about 30-50 ly away). Dvorsi is (IMO) a great Imperial system to run missions out of. Lots of action on the mission board (I haven't checked since 2.3 though), pretty good outfitting, and a few RES in system as well. There are several other great choices of systems in the area. Let me know if you want a list. ;)

I do quite a bit of Haz-RES hunting in Wong Guin and surrounding systems, and am up for winging with players of all skill levels. Me and my Battle Vette can run interference pretty darn well. :evil: The catch is that I work kinda weird hours. Because of that, my game times are on the weekends mostly, and early.... early morning (3:00-6:00AM) and afternoons. Feel free to add me to your friends list if you want to wing up, or just chat in game sometime.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

wrmiller
Harmless
Harmless

Postby wrmiller » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:20 am

Thanks JL, I will take you up on that offer to 'wing up' one of these days when we can synch schedule-wise. Would be cool to see a couple of 'vettes drop into a RES site and start making noise. :D

I may just stay at Founders for a bit, even though I've bought/tried pretty much every ship I have been interested in (tried a 'conda three different times, but couldn't get comfortable with it), except for the Cutter. I may never get the rank for that *sigh*, but that's OK. I should probably just go scavenge some credits and put some decent armor in my 'vette and call it good. With the ships finished, I can start looking for other things to do. :)

Return to “Introductions”