Community Support for the game and it's features
evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Mining

Postby evovi » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:56 pm

So I've started my step towards 500 units refined, currently at 205 after one trip to the roids, and I've learned a few things...

Limpets are very stupid..

Small roids are far quicker to extract from as you can get close in and your limpets don't have as far to travel

When it's depleted point your belly at the roids and again the limpets tend to not get confused as easily

And it's something I would never ever entertain without 10 bins... It would be horrible having to manually allocate ore every X seconds

It takes ages to kill npcs with three pulse lasers (from what I'm now used to)

It is a nice break from jumping, hauling, grinding engineer shizzle and killing npcs... Which yielded approx 350kcr without being too picky, basically I discharged anything less than 800cr galactic average - that was about an hours worth - which right now, I'm not bothered how Many credits per hour I earn doing whatever task, it's the variety and fun I seek, credits come second
Last edited by evovi on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sinxar
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Sinxar

Re: Mining

Postby Sinxar » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:38 pm

Yay another new miner. I learned how to do it a few weeks ago and i'm addicted. I was seriously considering outfitting my cutter or vette for mining, no joke, and not for the reason people might think. I wanted to do that for the epic cargo hold and more limpet controllers. Right now I use a shieldless Clipper but a Python is considered the best all-rounder since it can land on outpost and still fit a shield. If you want to fight the NPCs go with at least an Anaconda IMO. It has enough slots to not be totally gimped when outfitted for mining.

It isn't worth mining anything other than Painite, Platinum and Palladium. The three P's they call em, located in pristine metallic rings. They are common enough that you can fill up 200t cargo in about an hour for a value of about 10 mil or more depending on how much painite you find. The other stuff is garbage unless you need them for mining missions.

If you have to wait for your limpets, you don't have enough. In my Python I need about 6 active collector limpets to keep up with two medium mining lasers. With my current loadout on the Clipper, the shield is replaced by collector limpets, giving me 5 active. Someone stated that for best speed, position your cargo hatch about 50m above the cloud of fragments, seems to be about right but the angle matters too. If done right they go super speed.

Haz res mining is a different beast though. I haven't done that yet because I don't want to mess with NPCs while mining allowing me to leave out things like guns and shields. So here is something I learned, when ring mining (not in a res site, just random spot) NPCs will spawn when you drop out of SC, they may not spawn right away though. So don't start mining until they leave. If you have a fast ship like a Clipper, you can just run until they disappear. Reinstancing makes them spawn again so be wary of that, you will have to outrun them until they disappear from radar or they will attack you if you have any cargo other than limpets.

I am by no means an expert on mining. These are tips given by the guys over at https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteMiners/

You prolly know all this stuff, hopefully it will help somebody else who happens to stumble across this. But I don't see the point of mining garbage for pennies when in the same time you can come out with millions. You can have fun and make money at the same time.

ps: don't waste your time looking for low temperature diamonds. They are extremely rare and are not worth much more than painite, which is significantly more abundant. In fact, don't waste time mining ice rings at all unless you need the stuff for a mission. Perhaps the most important thing for a new miner is this: never use any prospector less than A rated, the rating affects the fragment count.

evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria

Postby evovi » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:47 pm

I'm mining out the area I got my last modules for the Python, I needed it to unlock an engineer, but I will be keeping the mining barge for now until I want to venture into anaconda territory, I'll relocate it where the mining is plentiful once she's done her job here

I've had an NPC "gimmie your cargo" even tho I was just carrying limpets, shoot past me and drop out of sc, then randomly drop in on me 15 minutes later in my random ring, I drop into the ring then fly about 5 minutes away from my drop point so god knows how he found me.. Anyways he was toast from my lasers but it seemed to take an age to kill him...

I don't like flying without shields so 2 collector controllers is all I can carry...

Mining will never have the same impact as it did in eve, so the bonus from haz res is redundant as getting a wing together to protect will be near impossible - who wants to protect a miner for little reward??

It would be nice to go mine some stuff and stick it somewhere where mobius group could all benefit from it..

Anyways lol, this is elite not eve!

Wonder how much of a challenge it would be to protect a miner in a high res area? Would the bonus be worth getting swarmed? Wanna be the Guinea pig lol?

Sinxar
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Sinxar

Postby Sinxar » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:53 pm

Right now if you are in a wing you get double the fragments and each person gets their own roid. So for max profits you want to map the painite roids in a haz res and be in a wing, each person gets the haz res bonus in addition to the wing bonus.

When i go out hunting, i load up with a bit of gold. It causes the entire res site to aggro. Can't imagine trying to protect somebody in those conditions.

CMDR 3D PLAGUE
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: 3D PLAGUE

Postby CMDR 3D PLAGUE » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:03 pm

another little tip, if you drop into a ring outside a RES and boost a little distance away from the initial ships that spawn in you can mine in complete peace till you are done.

also if you are in the bubble "HIP 27528" planet 5A has a pristine metal ring and it's uninhabited space with stations as close as 7-8Ly away in a nearby system named Gurabru, it also has 3 planets with Major deposits as close as 29Nm from the station.

you could also use the following site to find nearby pristine rings: http://www.hozbase.co.uk/elitedangerous
unsure how accurate it is but so far i haven't found an outdated ring.

• All-round troublemaker.
  • Unus pro omnibus, omnes pro uno!

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby JohnLuke » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:22 pm

evovi wrote:IWonder how much of a challenge it would be to protect a miner in a high res area? Would the bonus be worth getting swarmed? Wanna be the Guinea pig lol?

I'm up for it, bud. As long as your chosen mining site is within a reasonable distance for my battle vette to travel to. :evil:
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Capricos
Novice
Novice

Postby Capricos » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:56 am

Personally, I use my Anaconda for mining. The two front medium slots are perfect for mining lasers. The rest of the ship is easily armed. PLENTY of room for cargo, refinery, tons of limpets, decent shields, and even a fighter bay. As well as system and detailed scanners. PLENTY of room.
The only time I got into a res is a haz res and that's only to bounty hunt.
Use eddb to find a pristine system. Any pristine ring, you don't have to go into the resource zone. The entire ring is pristine. Darker rings, and closer to the planet has higher yields of precious metals, in my experience. I tend not to mine ice, when mining.
As was stated,when you drop into the rings away from res's, you may have to take out one or two pirates and then you'll be left in peace. And, in an anaconda, taking them out is nothing.
I tend to do most of my mining and even planet element stocking in the Delkar system. It's not far from Founders World.

Pam Demonium
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Pam Demonium

Postby Pam Demonium » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:01 am

Got a Asp for exploration, hated it. It does make a dang good mining barge.
Im in mine 5 days a week

The trick on limpets is to find the rotation centre of the roid and shoot it at an angle so the shards fly out into space. Depending on your lasers, dont put out more than 10 shards at a time. My 3 collector limpets seem not to run into the roids as often. Oh yeah and dont move your ship. They take the shortest route back to the cargo hatch.

Return to “Gameplay and Features”