Community Support for the machines running the game
Lanceor
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Lanceor
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Saitek X-56 Rhino

Postby Lanceor » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:22 pm

It was the grey castle hat. The down direction lost its "click" within a fortnight of the last RMA. Since then it has been producing multiple clicks and stuck in the down position on occasion. Last night it just stopped working completely.

The failed spring mechanism appears to be inside a black-box component that can't be pulled apart (circled red in the picture from a Redditor below - ignore the text though).

Pulling the stick apart and putting it back together tightly seems to have fixed the hat temporarily, but it still doesn't click and it's a matter of time before it fails again.

http://i.imgur.com/0kvwtpL.jpg
Very little game time, but often chatting at work.

Lazlo Thon
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Lazlo Thon
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Lazlo Thon » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:07 pm

Lanceor wrote:It was the grey castle hat. The down direction lost its "click" within a fortnight of the last RMA. Since then it has been producing multiple clicks and stuck in the down position on occasion. Last night it just stopped working completely.

The failed spring mechanism appears to be inside a black-box component that can't be pulled apart (circled red in the picture from a Redditor below - ignore the text though).

Pulling the stick apart and putting it back together tightly seems to have fixed the hat temporarily, but it still doesn't click and it's a matter of time before it fails again.

http://i.imgur.com/0kvwtpL.jpg

I'll send out a word to a fellow friend and wait for reply. In the meantime here is a link for a switch company . I'm located in the U.S. and he is in Canada please forgive the delay. Any numbers on the switch would help. I'll look into it for you and let you know as soon as I can.

http://www.digikey.com/products/switches/en

I should ask do you have any soldering and or circuit repair experience?

Lanceor
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Lanceor

Postby Lanceor » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:39 pm

Nope, no soldering or circuit repair experience, not that this is a problem in these days with the internet at your fingertips. ;)

But the main problems are a lack of time and tools and the cost of getting parts shipped to Australia; I'm better off just buying new stick rather than attempt any repairs that require more than a screwdriver.
Very little game time, but often chatting at work.

Lazlo Thon
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Lazlo Thon

Postby Lazlo Thon » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:10 am

I totally understand. Real life is the priority. I was in a high demand job and required a lot of hours both at work and home. I'm now retired and have a lot more time for my hobbies, Wife, music home ownership and bucket list and of course Elite. Not in that order necessarily. Except of course Wife. I still dabble in electronics and the repair for your job would take about 1 hour and not very difficult. however you do need the proper tools. preferably a solder station, solder remover, working space and good light. and of course the switch. it would have to be the 8 way rotary and not one of the more simple single tactile switches. But still not a difficult job. I'm guessing solder station $50.00 solder remover tool just to make it easier and may not even be required $15.00 solder $5.00 switch $20.00, shipping? Time-Priceless. The biggest cost is in the initial equipment.
Any way good luck with what ever you decide and if I can be of help, please ask. o7 commander and hope to see you in game!

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Postby thebs » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:24 am

Lazlo Thon wrote:Any way good luck with what ever you decide and if I can be of help, please ask. o7 commander and hope to see you in game!

Love this community! Right on CMDR. o7

Off Topic
Lazlo Thon wrote:I totally understand. Real life is the priority. I was in a high demand job and required a lot of hours both at work and home.

A major reason I took an US$60K/year pay cut after 2015, said 'no' (more than once) during the 'Tech Surge' before that, and (just today) turned down the semi-annual inquiry from Facebook (and don't get me started on Google either), is that I'm tired of high demand jobs, let alone dealing with people who are causing the unnecessary issues.

Heck, if you document well, including all their screwups, they hate you even more, all while they expect you to clean up after them too.

I like 45 hours/week, max, and being on-call only a few weeks a year. I also like having a flexible boss that lets me take off mid-week because my Alma Mater made a tourney, and I came back a day later because Deadmou5 was in town too. I could never get any time into Elite before, and now I play whenever I feel like it.

Lazlo Thon wrote:I'm now retired and have a lot more time for my hobbies, Wife, music home ownership and bucket list and of course Elite. Not in that order necessarily. Except of course Wife. I still dabble in electronics and the repair for your job would take about 1 hour and not very difficult. however you do need the proper tools. preferably a solder station, solder remover, working space and good light. and of course the switch. it would have to be the 8 way rotary and not one of the more simple single tactile switches. But still not a difficult job. I'm guessing solder station $50.00 solder remover tool just to make it easier and may not even be required $15.00 solder $5.00 switch $20.00, shipping? Time-Priceless. The biggest cost is in the initial equipment.

Agreed.

That and screwing up the first, few times, although the sheer number of videos on-line these days does help reduce the learning curve. I've never been the best at handling small tools and components, and it's only getting more difficult with age.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

MadAzmo
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: MadAzmo

Postby MadAzmo » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:37 am

GlobusDiablo wrote:
Taranava wrote:
GlobusDiablo wrote:Thrustmaster for the win. :) I've got the cheap T-flight HOTAS-X, and very pleased with value for money.

LOL That's the one I'm replacing. Though after seeing so many reviews on all the different setups. I think I might stick with the Thrustmaster for a little longer to see if build quality improves or another stick pops up that appeals to me more.

:) Unless you need a lot more switches (I don't), I wouldn't swap it for the world.
You know that it detaches right? Some don't know this. Oh, and I glued an old gamepad knob to the sticks hat switch. Made a huge comfort difference.

:shock: could you elaborate that, please?
I'm interested in tinkering and modding my Flight-X

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:26 pm

MadAzmo wrote: :shock: could you elaborate that, please?
I'm interested in tinkering and modding my Flight-X

The standard hat switch was killing my thumb. I had an old faulty ps3 controller lying around (any controller with decent thumb switches will do). I cut off one of the analogue thumb controller knobs, took a knife and coned out a hollow much like the shape of the hat switch in it (as deep as you dare without breaking through to the other side). Added super glue and stuck it on the hat switch. This turned it from a more or less useless digital switch into my favourite up/down/left/right thruster solution.

Do it! You won't regret it. :)

Edit: And the throttle and stick detach from each other so you can place them either side of your keyboard/chair or whatever. (I use double sided tape to mount them on a board either side of my keyboard). I have a recliner setup.

MadAzmo
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: MadAzmo

Postby MadAzmo » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:55 pm

Oh I knew it was detachable and indeed, I am using the HOTAS hooked on a chair support.

Thank you for the tip bout the hat!

Inviato dal mio UMI_SUPER utilizzando Tapatalk

Return to “Hardware and Technical”