The place for you to catch the latest news
de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: 2.3 The Commanders News from FD

Postby de Carabas » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:25 am

I watched the live stream last night. I've got to say that as long as they can get it to work in a stable manner (i.e. better than wings) then it looks like fun. Yes, the realism purists are going to struggle with the gunner's view but it does make that role meaningfull and interesting.
I'm not sure I like the fact that the radar for the gunner role switches to the same sort of system as most other space combat ones with pointers, surely a range indication would be useful for them as well?

Also it was a little odd how concerned the three of them were in a Corvette in taking on much smaller ships. I think there must be some balancing needed.

My key take-away message was that if the A Team are in a multicrew ship, avoid the area at all costs as carnage is likely to follow in their wake. Not through the destruction of NPC foes, more from the confusion around who is flying what...... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEeVParEpeg

https://elitedangerous2016.wordpress.co ... 3-preview/
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:21 pm

Yeah, I watched it too - my first "live" live stream. I guess I'm a purist, but I was very disappointed with the turret gunner implementation. I had no idea how they were going to do it, but I was expecting something clever, not just using the new camera. Maybe they can make improvements, but I guess I'd really need to try it and see how it all works together before I make any final judgements, but the first thing that came to mind was an old 80's arcade game. I don't know, but maybe something like a turret gunner position on the top of the ship controlling the two huge hardpoints, like a B-17 or battleship or something, may have been better.

But three friends, two in fighters, looks like it could be fun (and more realistic), especially if they don't have any instancing problems. Of course, three friends in their own ships would have a lot more fire power, but you have to mess with winging, instancing, separations, interdictions, and etc. Anyway, it may be interesting for a change of pace.

I also love how they warn you that you may be kicked if you do something illegal, but then they have a piracy mode. :roll:

I think the mentoring a pilot may be the most useful, and ultimately fun. Sitting in a Cobra with a newbie next to you, you can show them the ropes - I assume, they didn't show that feature.

And there may be a lot more that they didn't reveal. Overall, I'm more impressed by this update than by Power Play and The Engineers (and let's not forget CQC). I think there is supposed to be a way to hook up with random players, which could be fun for a break while out exploring.

Oh, and the holo-me. I was hoping to see the crew walk to their positions, through the cabin doors, and take their seats. This would have helped realism a lot, especially if all the players were parked at the same station. But I guess that doesn't work with being allowed to be on opposite sides of the galaxy. But rRather than come up with this stupid tele-presense and holo-me crap, just pop them in - it's just a game.

As for the devs, they're shit rubbish. Adam crashed his fighter right after launching it. Sandro can't fly and I think he only had two pulse lasers. And the other guy just seemed to fire off packhound missiles for the visual impact. I'm sure any three random players could do better.
It's time to give this another go.

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas

Postby de Carabas » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:05 pm

Well, I know there's a lot that hasn't been shown yet and I'm sure the beta live streams will answer more but I thought I would start capturing some questions now to come back to/ test in beta

► Show Spoiler
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:23 pm

de Carabas wrote:Well, I know there's a lot that hasn't been shown yet and I'm sure the beta live streams will answer more but I thought I would start capturing some questions now to come back to/ test in beta

► Show Spoiler
It's time to give this another go.

Ready Eagle
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Ready Eagle

Postby Ready Eagle » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:45 pm

I can see an hour of changing modes and jumping in and out of the game to get 3 commanders in the same instance and ship.... :?

but no not for me; I play this game most of the time for the solitude.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:18 pm

de Carabas wrote:Well, I know there's a lot that hasn't been shown yet and I'm sure the beta live streams will answer more but I thought I would start capturing some questions now to come back to/ test in beta

1. Can you join another ship at any stage or do you need to be docked?
2. If not docked then what happens to your ship?
3. If you are the gunner and disconnect, does control of those turrets default back to normal?
4. As gunner could you deploy the turrets and fire at a station while docking and then disconnect leaving the pilot to deal with the flack?
5. If you are mentoring a newbie in your cutter and they can't afford the (reduced) rebuy if it all goes wrong, presumably they have to take a loan?
6. Can the CMDR in the launched SLF claim the bounty on the mothership if it has one?
7. If there's a bounty on the mothership, CMDRs then join and they do more naughty deeds (and get more bounty) - who owes what?

1, Anytime they said. So you could be in Sag A in SC and POOF! you're on my ship in Sol.
2, Handwavium like when you dismiss your ship on the planet.
3. Yes, same as if you stop being the gunner and hop in a fighter they said.
4. No, the Hardpoints deploying is the Pilots responsibility.
5. The PILOT gets a reduced rebuy, the others are not involved from what I have seen, though they may end up having to pay a percentage. Not sure.
6. No. Try that on your own ship, all you do is destroy it and have to pay the rebuy, you or your wingmates cannot collect your own bounty. Multicrew is no different. (Trust me, the A-Team has tried in wing... ummm.. TESTED in wing... Only TESTED....:P ) Wing protects you from fines/bounties on Wingmates. I would think MC is the same.
7. There are several wing mechanics that would probably be the same. If Dawg shoots the cops, they turn on him AND the wing. We are guilty by association. but as long as WE don't shoot, he gets the fine. We just get shot at. So if YOUR ship shoots the cop Regardless of WHO shot, then the ships owner will carry the fines and the wanted status. (Say its a 400 credit 8 minute bounty) So YOU get the bounty and chased, i leave your ship and have the fine after 8 minutes but don't get chased because I am not in that system or area. You jump out, wait the time, come back and pay the fine. I have to wait the 8 minutes as well and then have a fine to pay. Until the timer is up, if I enter the system in my ship, then I am Wanted with a Bounty. If i wait, then jump in, I just have the fine.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:42 pm

Hmmmmm Bounty in wing you all get the full amount......

Interesting......

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

*Al*
Master
Master
CMDR: *Al*

Postby *Al* » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:57 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:Hmmmmm Bounty in wing you all get the full amount......

Interesting......

.......Very interesting....

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:17 pm

I was facepalming as this myself.

But those guys just mostly sucked.
They sucked so bad, I honestly find it hard to believe.

And from what I saw the corvette was also incredibly poorly setup.
Two, class 1 beam turrets and one class 3, or was it? I swear the model looked more like a pulse or burst., And two class 2 packhound launchers.

With two gimballed multis controlled by helm.
And I don't think any of them had any mods, which is fine.

But theye they really didn't have anything meant to strip off shields, class 1 turrets are so weak they might just as well be laser pointers, class 3 turrets are OK I guess but on a vette urrets of any kind is huge nerf.

And the utility slots was wasted on things like chaff, and ecm etc.

Now on top of all this, they managed to present a lack of cordination that would impress me as a member of the A-team.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:05 pm

Walter wrote:
TorTorden wrote:Character creator looks just as much as an awkward character creator has done since Oblivion and featured been every semi RPG for the last 15 years.
Congrats FD you are embracing the norm.

Probably overkill for the current use in game though and some horrendous boy racer leathers.

Obviously, completely wrong and exhibiting a complete lack of imagination.
Roger Wilco Jr wrote:Yeah, I watched it too - my first "live" live stream. I guess I'm a purist, but I was very disappointed with the turret gunner implementation. I had no idea how they were going to do it, but I was expecting something clever, not just using the new camera. Maybe they can make improvements, but I guess I'd really need to try it and see how it all works together before I make any final judgements, but the first thing that came to mind was an old 80's arcade game. I don't know, but maybe something like a turret gunner position on the top of the ship controlling the two huge hardpoints, like a B-17 or battleship or something, may have been better. Obviouslt, exhibiting a complete lack of imagination

I'm struggling to understand how the use of the camera makes any sense at all except as an 80s arcade game unrelated to anything else.
de Carabas wrote:My key take-away message was that if the A Team are in a multicrew ship, avoid the area at all costs as carnage is likely to follow in their wake. Not through the destruction of NPC foes, more from the confusion around who is flying what...... :D

I suspect that we'll all be safe - all the carnage will be occurring on board their ship. Too much imagination - make the thought go away. Think of something nice, like Thargoids or something

Return to “News and Announcements”