Qpidstunt
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: CMDR Qpidstunt
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Wife will NOT be happy

Postby Qpidstunt » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:32 am

@ thebs
That is really good info, thankyou! Its been quite a while since i bought any new HDs or SSHDs and all of the older ones were SG Barracudas, but those Firecudas look the business.

Just checked on ebuyer and they are out of stock (typically) as I want another 2Tb drive :)

Lanceor
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Lanceor
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Lanceor » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:01 pm

@ Loriath - I was hoping you'd know more about the case than I do. ;) Anyway, I'm just going by internet reviews at the moment, and will pick out a couple just in case the people assembling the machine say that that case is unsuitable for whatever reason.

The wife doesn't have a boat, but she does have a husband who owns a dozen space ships. :D

@ thebs - thanks for the tip! An SSHD looks like a winner to me - I'll grab myself a Firecuda :)
Very little game time, but often chatting at work.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:11 pm

I'm doing the same at the Mo.....Looking for a new box....

But I have decided to wait until Ryzen drops and is benchmarked....

I'm not a great fan of AMD, But seeing as this is a complete new rig and not an upgrade I thought I may as well wait and see what transpires.

At least one thing it should do if it's priced right is drop the price of existing Intel processors.

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:52 pm

Lanceor wrote:@ Loriath - I was hoping you'd know more about the case than I do. ;) Anyway, I'm just going by internet reviews at the moment, and will pick out a couple just in case the people assembling the machine say that that case is unsuitable for whatever reason.

The wife doesn't have a boat, but she does have a husband who owns a dozen space ships. :D

To bad, looking for a Boat. :P

Might want to check This Corsair Case with Filters.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

I always do NAND + SSHD

Postby thebs » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:54 pm

Lanceor wrote:@ thebs - thanks for the tip! An SSHD looks like a winner to me - I'll grab myself a Firecuda :)

It helps that the 2.5" drives have lower failure rates than 3.5" drives, but even the 3.5" SSHD devices have long shown they fail at 1/10th the rate.

Again, on my experiences ...

I've only had one (1) SSHD fail out of over one hundred (100+) and it was nearly 4 years old, basically when the first 1TB 5400rpm + 8GB MLC designs first came out. I remember it because it came out of the NewEgg box unsecured. I should have complained about that, but I didn't.

Just FYI, 100% of all of my SSHD devices are 2.5", no 3.5", but -- again -- various studies show the 3.5" SSHD have much lower AFRs.

I really liked the original Seagate Momentus XT models, the 4-8GB SLC (single level cell) NAND devices that spun at 7200pm in 500GB (4GB) and 750GB (8GB) sizes. I have ones that are approaching six (6) years old, never a failed one yet. They were 9.5mm high, just like the subsequent 1TB 5400rpm + 8GB NAND devices.

But now there are the 7mm high FireCudas, which fit in everything. I have four (4) of them now. Still only 5400rpm + 8GB MLC (which they went to 16GB), but they work perfectly. This system I'm typing on is a Dell Precision m4700 w/1TB Evo 840 mSATA + 2x 2TB 5400+8G FireCudas.

Now, on system layout ...

When I self-assemble/self-install, I usually partition as follows (using a Linux LiveUSB stick first) ...

I've moved this to here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6955
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Return to “Hardware and Technical”