Community Support for the machines running the game
hawkpilot
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Hawkpilot
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Warning for GeForce Experience Users

Postby hawkpilot » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:20 am

Launch the experience app, click on the cog (left of your username) and click settings on the share tab. Alternatively, if you're in game, press ALT-Z.

o7

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:Probably a bad idea, but I decided to give this a go - it must be better by now, right?

No - it sucks.

I didn't really set out to try it, but when I tried checking my Gforce Experience settings for the first time in several months, I was only given the option to upgrade. I may have been able to skip it, but instead said WTF. I can live with the login, but I can't figure out how to change the recording settings. They say you can record up to 4k and that the standard is 1080p 60FPS, but I don't see where you can change the settings. I tried a sample recording, and it's still recording at 720p 30FPS, so it remembered that from before. So that's good, because I'm not interested in uploading gigabyte files to youtube (assuming I ever do that again). I haven't tried it with VR yet, but I assume it still may have issues.

It's also very forceful about trying to get you to broadcast and automatically upload huge screen shots. No thanks. I'm not interested in twitching, and if I upload a pic, I want to reduce it's size and quality - both for faster uploads and more friendly user views. Oh well, I use SSC for screencaps anyway.

Meh, I'll live with it for a while and see how it goes.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Loriath » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:23 am

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:Probably a bad idea, but I decided to give this a go - it must be better by now, right?

No - it sucks.

Although I have not used it much, I installed OBS studio and have it available to me if I need it. It's configured and I have the basic settings enabled to do a local record. With the new GTX1050 I barely notice it when its running. In the New Year I plan on getting more into it.

Maybe if I can see a setting in Twitch to Flag for Mature Asshat audiences, I will even start a Basic A-Team Twitch Channel.God help us all if I do that. We will have to tone it down about 500% for even a Mature Audience. I mean, we can't say what we normally would about other people, Like How we feel about Xebeth and how JohnLuke is actually a Deanna Troi wannabe :P

And no one wants to hear a drunken debate about if Mobius's Tuxedo is actually body paint and he spends his friday nights performing Karaoke Show Tunes at a club in Watford...... Unless people do want to hear that??

:P
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master
CMDR: Murhapuro

Postby JustSomeGuy » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:34 am

Tried that OBS studio loop recording too, told it to save the last 10 minutes of gameplay. But for me it kept crashing, so I'll wait for the next version, hope for a fix, and keep using the non-looped recording as that works perfectly and I do not notice any performance hit. Using nvenc instead of cpu for encoding.
I play on PC, in the Mobius PVE Eurasia group.

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master
CMDR: Murhapuro

Postby JustSomeGuy » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:41 am

And for A-Team twitch, I would probably watch it. I do want to hear all that stuff :)
Even tho now I have a permanent mental image of Mobius in a body paint tuxedo. I wonder when will be the next time I can sleep well.. :P
I play on PC, in the Mobius PVE Eurasia group.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:44 am

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:I didn't really set out to try it, but when I tried checking my Gforce Experience settings for the first time in several months, I was only given the option to upgrade. I may have been able to skip it, but instead said WTF. I can live with the login, but I can't figure out how to change the recording settings. They say you can record up to 4k and that the standard is 1080p 60FPS, but I don't see where you can change the settings. I tried a sample recording, and it's still recording at 720p 30FPS, so it remembered that from before. So that's good, because I'm not interested in uploading gigabyte files to youtube (assuming I ever do that again). I haven't tried it with VR yet, but I assume it still may have issues.

I've been using the newer version of GE Experience for a month or more now. It took some poking around to find the video settings (hotkeys, buffer length, quality, etc) but I got everything set where I want it. I've used it in 2D and when running the Vive, with no trouble at all. I don't stream or have it set to upload to any cloud.... just save a file on my hard drive. I will continue to use GE Experience.

Loriath wrote:
Roger Wilco Jr wrote:Maybe if I can see a setting in Twitch to Flag for Mature Asshat audiences, I will even start a Basic A-Team Twitch Channel.God help us all if I do that. We will have to tone it down about 500% for even a Mature Audience. I mean, we can't say what we normally would about other people, Like How we feel about Xebeth and how JohnLuke is actually a Deanna Troi wannabe :P

How do you know about my ... um... er.... 'special interest' in Deanna? I'm pretty sure I've never talked with anyone on the A-Team about that.

Damn internet... all of your secrets get out at some point. :lol:
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:40 pm

hawkpilot wrote:Launch the experience app, click on the cog (left of your username) and click settings on the share tab. Alternatively, if you're in game, press ALT-Z.

o7

I guess I'll need to check that again. I did check it once, but only remember seeing Twitch, Youtube, and etc (and a way to disable it, which I did). I wasn't interested in streaming settings, but in recording settings. And on the recording tab, all they had was file locations. :P I assume you can have different settings for streaming and recording. I don't know, but I guess they must mean "records" - why not just call it file locations like everyone else!

Anyway, the test recording did look good - better than I remember - and didn't cause any crashing so far. I only ever use the last 20 minutes feature. It looks good using various Microsoft players, but looks like shite with VLC, which is odd because I use VLC for everything ( :roll: ) and it usually looks really good.
It's time to give this another go.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:50 pm

hawkpilot wrote:Launch the experience app, click on the cog (left of your username) and click settings on the share tab. Alternatively, if you're in game, press ALT-Z.

o7

Nope - that doesn't work for me. Clicking the setting button on the share tab just brings up some basic enable/disable, settings, and locations, but nothing about detailed recording settings like resolution, FPS, bitrate, record time, and etc.

I may be using a newer version - 3.2.0.96 :|

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:18 am

After you have set your file locations etc and have hit the done button...You should see a screen with big instant replay and record buttons...

Left click on the record button and a sub menu will appear with start and customise....Click on the customise and you will find your record settings there....

The same goes for the instant replay....You can set length and resolution etc

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:30 pm

Oh FFS! I've r-clicked on those over and over and never thought of l-clicking them as I thought they were just start/stop buttons. Duh! :roll:

Thanks!

Another thing - I suppose I can test, but when changing settings, the estimated file size only changes with the bit rate. So increasing the resolution 4x and doubling the FPS doesn't affect file size if they have the same bit rate? That doesn't sound right. :P

***edit***
For the record, a few quick recordings (just sitting in the hangar). Bit rate was set to 40 Mbps, the actual recorded bit rate varied. Estimated file size was 1.50 GB for 5 minutes.

1280x720p, 30 FPS, 29.7 Mbps, 1.03 GB.
1280x720p, 60 FPS, 39.6 Mbps, 1.38 GB.
2560x1440p, 30 FPS, 40.1 Mbps, 1.40 GB.
2560x1440p, 60 FPS, 40.1 Mbps, 1.40 GB.

Seems strange that those last 3 are about the same size. I'd think one would be about 1/4 the size of the last, and the other about 1/2 the size of the last. :geek:

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:11 pm

No, not really.
Bit rate is defined as how much data is in one seconds worth of video.
Compression handles the rest, so regardless of frame rate or resolution, bitrate dictates filesize.
If it's to low the video looks like grainy mess.

Personally I prefer a variable rather than fixed bitrate, can both save space and improve quality.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”