Community Support for the machines running the game
thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Gone GTX 1080

Postby thebs » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:48 pm

I pulled the trigger on a Black Friday special, with rebates and some AmEx promoitions.

Ended up getting the MSI GEFORCE GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G, which had the best reviews of cards US$550-575 after all incentives.
- https://us.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForc ... -X-8G.html

We'll see how much of a difference it makes with Horizons with the Oculus.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Gone GTX 1080

Postby Walter » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:31 pm

Just what I've got my eye on.

But I fear it's just too big for my case - and I would have to buy a new monitor. Problems, problems.

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:32 pm

No benchmarks yet, but with my Oculus Rift ...
- I put it at "VR Ultra" and then tuned everything up to High/Ultra, whatever the top level is
- I got some reduced framerate, so I moved Supersampling from 1.25x and SMAA to FXAA
- Now it's buttery smooth, although I haven't tried an ice ring ... yet

Walter wrote:Just what I've got my eye on.
But I fear it's just too big for my case

I've fit a ~10.4" long video card in my tiny little Silverstone SG05 that is 7x9x11".

However, this is a bit longer, so I put it in a deep CoolerMaster Elite 120, which is my default 'go-to' inexpensive case for gaming. In reality, with 2.5" devices, from NAND SSDs to Seagate's newer 7mm high hybrid 8GB+2TB NAND+platter and even 15mm high 5TB platter, I don't need as much storage space any more. So I'll probably look at one of those thin ITX cases that are under 10L of volume, as low as 7L.

Walter wrote: - and I would have to buy a new monitor. Problems, problems.

???
Basically a GTX 1060 or an older GTX 970 is quite good for near-Ultra settings at 1080p.
No reason to go GTX 1080 for that.

Also, remember the "Mini" sized GTX 1070 cards out there too. A GTX 1070 will do everything.

There is the Gigabyte Mini-ITX one that is only 6.7" (170mm) long, the depth of a Mini-ITX (6.7x6.7") board.
There is also the Zotac Mini one that is only 8" (203mm), the depth of a typical, short MicroATX (8x9.6"), and will fit in most Mini-ITX cases too, like the boxy CoolerMaster Elite 110.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Walter » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:05 am

It's not the length, it's the height - I'll probably have a problem getting a PCI-E power cable in - right-angled plugs seem to be non-existent in the UK and not that common in the US, yet many people must have the same problem.

My current 1080p monitor serves the PC through the VGA socket and an ancient but essential Mac through the DVI. Putting a DVI to RGB converter on a GTX1080 seems sacrilegious somehow, even if I could get one that works.

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:09 pm

Walter wrote:It's not the length, it's the height - I'll probably have a problem getting a PCI-E power cable in - right-angled plugs seem to be non-existent in the UK and not that common in the US, yet many people must have the same problem.

My current 1080p monitor serves the PC through the VGA socket and an ancient but essential Mac through the DVI. Putting a DVI to RGB converter on a GTX1080 seems sacrilegious somehow, even if I could get one that works.

Oh yeah, that would be a problem. Wish more cards would put the power connector at the end -- or the option to connect it in either location, end or top.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... x?pid=5923

Return to “Hardware and Technical”