Community Support for the machines running the game
JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Vive graphics settings

Postby JohnLuke » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:49 am

Thanks again for the tips guys. I'll tinker with some settings later in the week when I have more free time.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo

Postby GlobusDiablo » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:02 am

GlobusDiablo wrote:...Btw. I disabled ASW when launching from Steam, as it also seemed to add blurry artifacts. As I understand it, ASW is meant to help weaker GFX with FPS, but running a 1080 I'd rather avoid the added artifacts.

Oh, and you should be able to bump that Model Draw Distance to the max. :)

And I ended up enabling it again. :) It makes performance much more stable. And the artifacts are there no matter. Just like wearing glasses I guess.

Elite: Dangerous in VR is a whole different game/experience. :) Loving it.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:20 pm

GlobusDiablo wrote:
GlobusDiablo wrote:...Btw. I disabled ASW when launching from Steam, as it also seemed to add blurry artifacts. As I understand it, ASW is meant to help weaker GFX with FPS, but running a 1080 I'd rather avoid the added artifacts.

Oh, and you should be able to bump that Model Draw Distance to the max. :)

And I ended up enabling it again. :) It makes performance much more stable. And the artifacts are there no matter. Just like wearing glasses I guess.

Elite: Dangerous in VR is a whole different game/experience. :) Loving it.

Yeah, the vive dropps frames down to 45 regardless of reprojection method, and asynchronous just look at lot better than anything earlier.

As for VR, I just upgraded my TV to a 65" top of the line panasonic uhd (65dx900e) and it looks beautiful.

But when I put the HMD on for some elite the wow effect is somehow bigger.
I don't miss resolution one bit compared to VR.

Sure I would like higher resolution VR, but I'm never going back to a flat panel for Elite again.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:43 pm

TorTorden wrote:Yeah, the vive dropps frames down to 45 regardless of reprojection method, and asynchronous just look at lot better than anything earlier.

As for VR, I just upgraded my TV to a 65" top of the line panasonic uhd (65dx900e) and it looks beautiful.

But when I put the HMD on for some elite the wow effect is somehow bigger.
I don't miss resolution one bit compared to VR.

Sure I would like higher resolution VR, but I'm never going back to a flat panel for Elite again.

We are the front runners. :) Imagine VR a few years from now... Zooming around stations in ultra high definition... :)

Congrats on the TV by the way. Nothing like a good blu ray. :)

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Postby Relix Typhon » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:36 pm

I know this thread is about Vive graphics but imma hijack it and ask about current Rift settings.

For reference, I have a GTX 980

I was playing in a RES tonight and was getting some judder on VR Ultra. Can I leave on Ultra and turn off things like SMAA and Blur (as mentioned earlier) or is the 980 just not cut out for Ultra? I knocked it down to high and it was fine.

Also, I noticed that a lot of the time, my FPS was locked to 45; is this to do with ASW because it seemed really smooth but did jump up to 90 at certain times.

I suppose I am just being lazy but I dont want to spend hours reading/testing, so if there is ideal settings, like "put on ultra but turn down X & Y" or "put on high but you can turn up X & Y", then that would be awesome.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:23 pm

RD-83 wrote:I know this thread is about Vive graphics but imma hijack it and ask about current Rift settings.

I was playing in a RES tonight and was getting some judder on VR Ultra. Can I leave on Ultra and turn off things like SMAA and Blur (as mentioned earlier) or is the 980 just not cut out for Ultra? I knocked it down to high and it was fine.

Also, I noticed that a lot of the time, my FPS was locked to 45; is this to do with ASW because it seemed really smooth but did jump up to 90 at certain times.

I suppose I am just being lazy but I dont want to spend hours reading/testing, so if there is ideal settings, like "put on ultra but turn down X & Y" or "put on high but you can turn up X & Y", then that would be awesome.

I hear the Rift runs faster than the Vive, but I've got a 1080 and I can't run the Vive on ultra. From what I understand most VR commanders are running off of VR high settings, and then messing with in-game SS and HMD quality. I've been going with SS 1.0 and HMD Q at 1.25, but someone just recommended running SS at 0.65 and beefing HMD Q up to 2.0, and it does actually seem to give a smoother overall result with more or less the same fps.

But depending on how and where you play and what your tolerance is, things vary. There is no "one size fits all". Tinker time. :)

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:11 am

RD-83 wrote:I know this thread is about Vive graphics but imma hijack it and ask about current Rift settings.

I have a 980ti and run somewhere between vr medium and vr high.
Ultra is anot absolute no go.

Sure if all I did was ABA trading etc but in combat, especially in a res even 45fps gets to be a stretch even at medium settings.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Postby Relix Typhon » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:15 am

Alright, cheers chaps. I guess I'll do some tinkering and testing!

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:48 pm

TorTorden wrote:...I Like orange...

Hey TT. I know you're not fond of playing with the colours. But try this on for size in the EDProfiler:

<MatrixRed> 0, 0.19, 0.68 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> 0.82, 0.96, -0.24 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 0.51, -0.31, -0.26 </MatrixBlue>

*Al*
Master
Master
CMDR: *Al*

Postby *Al* » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:40 pm

Trouble setting mine up with my Imac (anyone any experience of this please).

Couple of hours trying and I am now going Zen on it.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”