Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Opinion: "Best" Large Combat Ship?

Postby TorTorden » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:09 am

StaticRadion wrote:
TorTorden wrote:
Trinity Star wrote:A corvette with lv5 dirty drive tuning runs rings around an anaconda and can dogfight small fast ships.

Who needs to?

Deploy fighter, tell it to engage target and go make a sandwich.

Then I kill eagles fine with my vette, granted I have dirty lvl 3, but the manoeuvrability boost is negligible.

Glad you joined the conversation Tor, help a brother out. When I fly I like to drift and I love the FDL but the way you fly corvette is surgical and sterile in my opinion it does not have the whip I feel in the Conda. Will engineer drives make the Corvette really that much more superior to the Conda? Also what weapons do you use on your Corvette and what is the hump range?

There is absolutely nothing sterile about what I do, and with fa-off you can drift as much as you want and more probably. I also have ano fdl, a courier an eagle and I intend to take the conda into a longer range combat vessel.

It's not by much, but just a stock vette is at least as nimble as a grade 5 tuned conda.
But maneuverability and speed put all aside, the weapon placements on the vette and the visibility out of the cockpit is far far far better than a conda.
And of course two huge weapons.

And since last week I switched from two beam turrets on the class 1 slot and took off the mc on the class 3 , swapped them all for fixed pulse lasers, on top of this Toby, the old fart, is running a fixed beam Guni (my slf).

I just found the spoolup time for the class 3 mc to be far too long, most targets would be dead before it started firing, I'm better off with a laser on that point, for the rest it is 2 class 2 multicannons, and same for the class 4s. All gimballed and modded with an effect.
One class 2 and 4 with incendiary, one class 4 corrosive, and a signal booster on the last mc, cause it was a freebie.

All mods where lvl 1 overcharge, I can't be bothered with anything more, it's done for the effect but also being just lvl 1 I can spam them, so they are good lvl 1 mods.
Those particularly cost a nickel and Tod the blasters planet is 16% nickel, you almost can't roll over a rock without collecting nine rolls worth.

So far the only mods I have found to be worth the hassle of getting lvl 5 where FSD, distributor and shields. For the rest a little bit goes all the way.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion

Postby StaticRadion » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:53 pm

TorTorden wrote:All mods where lvl 1 overcharge, I can't be bothered with anything more, it's done for the effect but also being just lvl 1 I can spam them, so they are good lvl 1 mods.
Those particularly cost a nickel and Tod the blasters planet is 16% nickel, you almost can't roll over a rock without collecting nine rolls worth.

So far the only mods I have found to be worth the hassle of getting lvl 5 where FSD, distributor and shields. For the rest a little bit goes all the way.

Good to know about the trick for nickel, but I went ahead and kitted out the Anaconda and I am flying it for now just because I still cant get over how powerful the Advanced PA's that I got from Patreus are. I kept the Corvette in storage and once I have all the internals on the Anaconda full upgraded I plan to transfer them to the Corvette and see if it can wow me again.

I fell in love with the Corvette the first time after flying the Anaconda for a long time so maybe the same thing will happen again. This is what she looks like right now without any mods and I will probably try to get a bunch of class 1 mods first, any recommendations?

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:16 pm

All the level 1 mods are actually quite good, but for the Multi I favour the short range blaster, the range is only reduced to something similar to the lasers and has a decent damage increase.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion

Postby StaticRadion » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:32 pm

Xebeth wrote:All the level 1 mods are actually quite good, but for the Multi I favour the short range blaster, the range is only reduced to something similar to the lasers and has a decent damage increase.
Wait so the gun that is almost useless past 2km has a damage mod that still gives it an over 2km range. That is a win-freaking-win. :D

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:10 pm

Xebeth wrote:To me both are great combat ships when correctly configured, but the Vette wins out for being more combat focused, whilst the Conda is more multi-role.

I completely agree. The Vette is combat focused and the Conda can do many, many things well. But, I'll take my battle ready Vette into a RES long before I'll take a conda in there. A stock Vette is far more maneuverable than a stock Conda, and having 2 huge hardpoints rocks! (IMO)

TorTorden wrote:So far the only mods I have found to be worth the hassle of getting lvl 5 where FSD, distributor and shields. For the rest a little bit goes all the way.

I disagree, if a guy is willing to put in the time and effort for lvl 4 or lvl 5 upgrades. For instance, my Vette's DPS would be 92.9 with vanilla weapons, roughly 102 with lvl 1 upgrades, but it's 151.2 with lvl 5 upgrades to the multi's and pulses. Can you say Devastating? :evil: You gain around 10% for each level of mod, assuming that you get reasonably good rolls.

For my non-combat ships, lower level upgrades are fine.... if they get any upgrades at all (other than lvl5 FSD which is mandatory in my book)
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:35 pm

Ok, so things die in 3 seconds instead 4.5 seconds.

Is that difference worth 60 hours hunting for mats ?
Not to me, not even close.

I tried it all in beta, and yes the number are there, but the real in game impact was barely negligible.
And honestly I thought the fish was wasted there to.

A bit like Audio/Video in that regard, you'll pay 90x for the last 10 percent as you would for the first 90% of performance (granted in this case it's 50%)
Is it worth it?

If it's yes then by all means go for it.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:39 pm

The engineer grind gives me a short term goal in the game, and the pay off is a better, nastier ship. :evil:

So for me, yes it's worth it. For others, probably not. ;)
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:51 pm

JohnLuke wrote:The engineer grind gives me a short term goal in the game, and the pay off is a better, nastier ship. :evil:

Well I just want drink, talk piss.

If I can't do it drunk and belligerent I want no part of it ;)

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:05 pm

I see you're on form today......

:lol:

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Dudley
Master
Master
CMDR: Dudley_Dawg

Postby Dudley » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:43 pm

TorTorden wrote:
JohnLuke wrote:The engineer grind gives me a short term goal in the game, and the pay off is a better, nastier ship. :evil:

Well I just want drink, talk piss.

If I can't do it drunk and belligerent I want no part of it ;)

Makes sense to me.. :D
As a tribute to Tor, my CMDR has small feet too! o7 Dawg

Return to “General Discussion”