Community Support for the machines running the game
JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Vive graphics settings

Postby JohnLuke » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:56 pm

I took the settings that have been shared in this thread, and tweaked and yelled :x and tweaked some more until I came up with what works for me (at least so far).

I'm using SteamVR Beta, and set the RenderTarget at 1.25.

Running a i7-4770 with a GTX 1080 SC card, here's what I found to give me the sharpest text and graphics without tanking the frame rates too much:

(suggestions welcome!) :D

-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

*Al*
Master
Master
CMDR: *Al*
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby *Al* » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:03 am

JohnLuke wrote:I took the settings that have been shared in this thread, and tweaked and yelled :x and tweaked some more until I came up with what works for me (at least so far).

Running a i7-4770 with a GTX 1080 SC card, here's what I found to give me the sharpest text and graphics without tanking the frame rates too much:

I should have mine arriving today. my spec test suggested it would work but would enjoy a graphics card update so I am hoping it will suffice.
I plan on just using the launcher as I have no experience if Steam, will that be OK?

Any set up tips? (JL if it goes wrong I blame you).

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly

Postby JohnLuke » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:37 am

*Al* wrote:I should have mine arriving today. my spec test suggested it would work but would enjoy a graphics card update so I am hoping it will suffice.
I plan on just using the launcher as I have no experience if Steam, will that be OK?

Congrats on getting a Vive, Al!! Whoot Whoot! 8-)

You'll have to use SteamVR to handle the Vive interface (non-technical terms), but you can launch the game normally once SteamVR is running. You'll have to change your display settings in-game from 2D to 3D if you don't want to use the cool profiler that I linked to above. It's going to take some time for you to get used to the Vive, and your E-D experience will be something totally new and exciting. :shock:
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

*Al*
Master
Master
CMDR: *Al*

Postby *Al* » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:40 am

JohnLuke wrote:
*Al* wrote:I should have mine arriving today. my spec test suggested it would work but would enjoy a graphics card update so I am hoping it will suffice.

Congrats on getting a Vive, Al!! Whoot Whoot! 8-)

You'll have to use SteamVR to handle the Vive interface (non-technical terms), but you can launch the game normally once SteamVR is running. You'll have to change your display settings in-game from 2D to 3D if you don't want to use the cool profiler that I linked to above. It's going to take some time for you to get used to the Vive, and your E-D experience will be something totally new and exciting. :shock:

Thanks JL I will no doubt be asking many many more questions.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly

Postby JohnLuke » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:51 am

*Al* wrote:Thanks JL I will no doubt be asking many many more questions.

Glad to help, as always. :D

There are a lot of resources on-line to get you going. Google Vive Elite Dangerous, and Vive graphics settings to get you started.

Get stuck?

Let us know. There are a lot of guys in our group using the Vive. I'm sure someone will have an answer for you.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:48 pm

I would turn off blur and smaa, that should let you up shadows to medium.
Ambient occlusion also hardly does anything at all in vr and can be dropped completely.

ED is funny with AA, that you actually seem to loose more fps using it than hmd upsampling does.

Also HMD supersampling IS steams render target multiplier, I have yet to figure out how this works with the steam setting though.
Is the steam setting ignored?
Is it added on, so a hmd setting of 1.5 becomes (with a target of 1.25) 1.75.
Or what I suspect might be more likely, the 1.25 becomes the baseline.
And instead of say having 100 pixels. You get 125, and then multiply that with the 1.5 hmd setting.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo

Postby GlobusDiablo » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:32 am

JohnLuke wrote:I took the settings that have been shared in this thread, and tweaked and yelled :x and tweaked some more until I came up with what works for me (at least so far).

EDProfiler saved the VR experience for me (Vive), with pretty much the same settings you got there (chose a different blue colour scheme). I noticed that SS doesn't seem to do VR any good, only adds blurry artifacts. Better suited for 2D I suppose.

Not sure what this RenderTarget you speak of is?

Btw. I disabled ASW when launching from Steam, as it also seemed to add blurry artifacts. As I understand it, ASW is meant to help weaker GFX with FPS, but running a 1080 I'd rather avoid the added artifacts.

Oh, and you should be able to bump that Model Draw Distance to the max. :)

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly

Postby JohnLuke » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:42 am

TorTorden wrote:I would turn off blur and smaa, that should let you up shadows to medium.
Ambient occlusion also hardly does anything at all in vr and can be dropped completely.

ED is funny with AA, that you actually seem to loose more fps using it than hmd upsampling does.

Also HMD supersampling IS steams render target multiplier, I have yet to figure out how this works with the steam setting though.
And instead of say having 100 pixels. You get 125, and then multiply that with the 1.5 hmd setting.

Thanks Tor. I tried it on Sunday with your suggestions to blur, smaa, and shadows. I like what I'm seeing so far. 8-) I don't have an answer for your HMD image quality Vs Steam render target question. Way, way above my head. :oops:

GlobusDiablo wrote:EDProfiler saved the VR experience for me (Vive), with pretty much the same settings you got there (chose a different blue colour scheme). I noticed that SS doesn't seem to do VR any good, only adds blurry artifacts. Better suited for 2D I suppose.

Btw. I disabled ASW when launching from Steam, as it also seemed to add blurry artifacts. As I understand it, ASW is meant to help weaker GFX with FPS, but running a 1080 I'd rather avoid the added artifacts.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try running with your suggestions.

I got the render target stuff from this thread.

What is ASW and how do you disable it in Steam?
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:12 am

JohnLuke wrote:
TorTorden wrote:I would turn off blur and smaa, that should let you up shadows to medium.

Thanks Tor. I tried it on Sunday with your suggestions to blur, smaa, and shadows. I like what I'm seeing so far. 8-) I don't have an answer for your HMD image quality Vs Steam render target question. Way, way above my head. :oops:

GlobusDiablo wrote:EDProfiler saved the VR experience for me (Vive), with pretty much the same settings you got there (chose a different blue colour scheme). I noticed that SS doesn't seem to do VR any good, only adds blurry artifacts. Better suited for 2D I suppose.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try running with your suggestions.

I got the render target stuff from this thread.

What is ASW and how do you disable it in Steam?

ASW is oculus term for asynchronous spacewarp.
Valve and steamvr is a fair bit less fruity about it and call it asynchronous reprojection. And should be a setting in the steamvr options/settings or whatever.
Unlike with oculus, no obscure keyboard command or registry hacks.
I even think they moved it out of beta already.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo

Postby GlobusDiablo » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:10 pm

JohnLuke wrote:...What is ASW and how do you disable it in Steam?

When you launch E: D through Steam you get a little "VR box" telling you all is ready. At the top left you'll see "Steam Vr" hit that little down arrow and scroll to settings. :)

TorTorden wrote:...I even think they moved it out of beta already.

Indeed they have. :)

But hold your horses lads. Cause I'm pulling my hair here. So:

Don't adjust your settings while in training missions or on the main VR menu. They tank when you enter the main game.

And!

Don't think you can adjust your settings while docked in a station (good place to study artifacts), because they too will tank once you fly to the next station!... :shock:

I've had to roll my settings back, based on in-game: VR-High setting, SS-1.0, HDM Quality-1.0, AA-SMAA (seems to help with the grid at the letterbox).

I'm getting a bit cross eyed now, trying to optimise this bugger. At least the colour scheme change made text legible... :)

Return to “Hardware and Technical”