Community Support for the machines running the game
Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Help With Joystick Settings Please

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:25 pm

I've been using the Logitech 3D Extreme Pro for about a year and I really like it. Good feel, nice weighted base, lots of buttons. I can't use rudder pedals so I need the twist axis. If CH made a twist joystick I may think about changing, but for now I'll stick with the Logitech.
It's time to give this another go.

Myrm

Postby Myrm » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:59 am

Once again, thank you to everybody who supplied their answers and thoughts.

I have to admit I really do like the 3D Extreme Pro; perhaps I'll stick with that for a while. I want to save up to buy a sim-free BlackBerry Priv that BB have just released.

Anyways, I now have to learn how to play the game all over as I have forgotten much of it. At the moment I am just tacking about in the Sol system trying to get back to the competent level of playing I was at before.

Black Rose

Postby Black Rose » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:45 am

I see from your photo that you don't have a dead zone set for the Yaw axis, could that be the problem?

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Schmobius » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:40 pm

Myrm wrote:Joystick calibration it was! Thanks everybody!

I might get a new joystick. Any suggestions?

I have an X-55, and absolutely love it.

You'll want a powered USB hub for it if you're not plugging directly to the PC, it does make noises when twisting the stick, sometimes, and maybe once every 3 hours I'll get a ghosted input (Usually one bump to power distribution, or sensor range, no big deal.). These are well-documented issues, but very minor, in my opinion.

The throttle is utterly magnificent, and the stick is very nice. I have taken to using a silicone-teflon spray lube on the stick after several months (it pretty much has to be this type, petroleum based will eat the plastic), but that's just because I like it to be silent. With that, everything is still smooth as butter ~6 months out.

The configuration software is very powerful, even if miserable to work with (things are not at all intuitive, but there are some youtube videos of people setting it up which help tremendously), but you really only need to mess with that once, and only for a few buttons on the programming side. (I have the slidey-switch mapped to a repeating Num-+ key, which I use as my reverse on the throttle. That was a pain to get set up correctly. I also have one of the metal switches set to bring up the Steam overlay with a shift-tab, and getting the timing of button presses and releases was harder than you'd think. That, and one of the rotary controls my system volume. That's all I've had to set up.)

The calibration end of things is pretty simple and effective. The different springs on the stick and the adjustable tension on the throttle make them both feel great.

Myrm

Postby Myrm » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:20 pm

Hi

I have had to reconfigure all my joystick settings. Grrrr!

One thing I can't figure out is how to use the mouse for the head-look. Before I had to reconfigure everything I would right click my mouse and the head-look would activate. Movements of the mouse would then allow me to free roam on head-look. I have found the head-look settings in the options/control menu, but for the life of me I can't see where you configure what button you want to use to activate head-look. Could somebody help please?

Thank you. :)

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby JohnLuke » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:10 pm

I'm not at home to be able to check, but I think it's in the Miscellaneous section.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Myrm

Postby Myrm » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:37 pm

Found it. Thanks JohnLuke

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke