Xerx
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: C.Nilsson
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Vive graphics settings

Postby Xerx » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:29 am

Hi everyone
iv been learning the basics for the past few days, and feel im ready to test out elite with my vive.

What video settings does everyone use?

My rigs fairly powerful with a 1080 @ 2100 and a i5 4670k@4.4

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Re: Vive graphics settings

Postby Relix Typhon » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:53 am

When you plug the Vive in, you'll get more stock options in the settings, related specifically to VR. You should be able to run on VR Ultra with thos specs.

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby smartroad » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:06 pm

I have an older 2500k i5 with a 1080GTX. I end up running at VR high.
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

AmazingPaper
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: AmazingPaper

Postby AmazingPaper » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:52 pm

The VR High preset is excellent for people who meet the recommended specs and beyond. Also, don't forget to opt-in into the SteamVR beta since it introduces "Asynchronous Reprojection" which does a good job to prevent dips below 90FPS. I have to test it properly, but I've been able to play the game on Ultra without any dips in FPS with the Vive. Be sure to check it out if you're not in the beta for SteamVR, it's worth it.

Fescue
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Fescue

Postby Fescue » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:56 pm

After a ton of messing around, I decided to land on VR Medium and then adjust individual settings. I can RUN in VR Ultra, but there is a lot of judder in stations or in places with a lot of assets. In the end, I went with text clarity and smooth screens over anything else but I will probably end up tweaking more in the future.

I'm using the Steam VR beta build with Async reprojection on and Steam SS back to the original 1.0

In game, I have turned ss back to .65 with my HMD quality at 2.0. This setting alone has been a huge part of getting clear text.
Shadows, AA, blur and bloom set to OFF.

Everything else is probably up to you. I'm running a 980ti, so your 1080 will see better results. In the Steam VR settings under Performance, take a look at the Display Frame Timing. I used it quite a bit to determine how different settings created issues for my card.

Prior to Steam ASW and ED 2.2, I changed the HUD color to this scheme to help with text clarity. It was tough to adjust at first, but now it looks fine to my brain.

Good luck, hope that helps a bit.

AJH
Competent
Competent
CMDR: AJH

Postby AJH » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:43 pm

I have a 1080 as well. I ended up using VR Ultra with a SteamVR based super sample of somewhere between 1.25 and 1.5 (I forget exactly what I used.) Without super sampling in SteamVR, VR Ultra worked fine even on my old 980.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:19 pm

Fescue wrote:<snipped>

Thanks for posting this! Great detailed information on your VR settings. I will be trying your recommendations this weekend when I have time to put the alien face hugger on and give it a go! 8-)
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Xerx
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Xerx » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:28 pm

This is what i ended up with for now. Its relying on the new Async reprojection in stations though.

http://i.imgur.com/GjX3TOc.png
Would have loved to run 1.75 as its super crisp, but its way more then a 1080 can handle. Frankly 1.5 is pushing it a bit if i look at the frame timing spikes.

Vr amazing in Elite, I really need to get a proper exploration ship. A hauler and viper mk3 just doesn't cut it for that.

Fescue
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Fescue

Postby Fescue » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:37 am

Xerx wrote:Would have loved to run 1.75 as its super crisp, but its way more then a 1080 can handle. Frankly 1.5 is pushing it a bit if i look at the frame timing spikes.

Are you running Steam super sampling at 1.0? Did you try to dial down the in game ss to .65 or .75 and increase the HMD setting to 1.75? In my experience, lowering the other ss values to get the highest HMD value has created the best image for me.

Xerx
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Xerx » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:56 am

I diddnt notice any difference when lowering ingame ss and raising hmd resolution. So thats why i settled for 1&1.5. well if anything 0.65/2.0 looked a bit worse then 1&1.5.

Steams own ss is set to 1.0 for the games, and 1.3 for the dashboard.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”