Community Support for the machines running the game
Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Warning for GeForce Experience Users

Postby Xebeth » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:24 am

I had the same as Blazing, GFE proceeded to remove the old version then failed on the install of version 3.

I tried the 2.4 GFE link but that wouldn't install either, and I kept getting this message

So I downloaded 372.54 directly and did a clean install

GFE has gone back to its old version and everything seems to be working now.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:28 am

blazingmaniac wrote:For those that don't want to trawl through the forums on that link..

<<snipped lots of helpful info>>

Hope this helps people.

Thanks for posting the repair info, Blazing! :D that's awesome!

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:I stopped using G.E. when I went VR. Is Shadow Play working with VR now?

For me.... pretty much 'yes' but it's different than when I ran in 2-D. I configure ShadowPlay to record the desktop. It will record all activity, including the E-D window that is always on top of other things that I may have running at the time. So.... yes it's capturing video, but there is a lot of clutter in the background. If it's a video that I want to share, I'll open it in Avidemux 2.6 that I found on-line. It's a free video editing program that is capable of cropping. I can then crop down the video to just the E-D window and save it. Then just a step or two to format it for YouTube, and you're all set. It took me a bit to learn how to crop in Avidemux, so if anyone else tries it and wants some pointers, let me know.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:13 pm

Damn, I was hoping they fixed it. I can't believe they haven't fixed Shadow Play in VR for 6 months and counting, and longer if it was a problem with the DK1/2 too.
It's time to give this another go.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:32 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:Damn, I was hoping they fixed it. I can't believe they haven't fixed Shadow Play in VR for 6 months and counting, and longer if it was a problem with the DK1/2 too.

It works just fine for me, Roger. I imagine that if you don't want to crop the video after the fact, you could set your monitor resolution to match the Steam VR window, then ShadowPlay would appear to be recording in full screen. I don't do that because I like to be able to see and use other programs on the desktop and cropping the occasional video is a minor inconvenience.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Re: Out of memory errors ... seemingly gone

Postby thebs » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:44 am

thebs wrote:Okay, I've now had no less than 2 out-of-memory errors at inopportune times with my Oculus Rift. I want to roll back the nVidia drivers to confirm it's not the nVidia drivers.

Any recommendations?

BTW, I already uninstalled the GeForce Experience. I never upgraded to v3, but I am on 3.72.70 nVidia drivers.

EDIT: Rolled back to 365.19. We'll see how it goes.

BTW, whenever I tried to open the GeForce Experience, it tried to upgrade to version 3 automagically, no matter what setting I used, so I uninstalled it.

Played for several hours with the nVidia 365.19 drivers and had no out-of-memory errors. So it looks like the problem is neither Oculus nor Frontier code, but the nVidia drivers.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:36 pm

I have had a few of these ram crashes (seem to happen around 8gig consumed)

This for me usually takes the 19 jumps to sothis, a bunch of instance and board cycling followed by 19 jumps back. Usually on first or second delivery I get an error. So before I get one I need to play nearly two hours..

Usually I take a break before then.

I also sometimes glance at my phone through the nose gap and check members usage that way and do a pre-emptive restart of the game.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:34 pm

TorTorden wrote:I have had a few of these ram crashes (seem to happen around 8gig consumed)

Yeah, I'd see similarly, while my Z97 + i7-4790K Mini-ITX system has 16GiB.

But dropping back to the 365.19 drivers, pre-368/372, has solved it, seemingly. I'll keep playing this week on and off, but I think I'm much, much better now. Just wish I could continue using the GeForce Experience and capture, but it just wants to auto-update to v3, regardless of settings.

TorTorden wrote:This for me usually takes the 19 jumps to sothis, a bunch of instance and board cycling followed by 19 jumps back. Usually on first or second delivery I get an error. So before I get one I need to play nearly two hours..
Usually I take a break before then.
I also sometimes glance at my phone through the nose gap and check members usage that way and do a pre-emptive restart of the game.

I played for over 3 hours. I haven't been able to do that for a few months now, without a crash. It's usually been 2 hours before it screws up. It happened consistently. I was in combat one of the times. Not good.

I saw 0 artifacts and other issues. Sometimes I'd see those 30 minutes before the total out-of-memory. Something tells me nVidia has an issue with their DiME (Direct, in-Memory Execution) code in the newer 368+ drivers.

Side Note: Frankly, the GPU being on an I/O bus, instead of the CPU interconnect, is part of the greater issue. But that's Intel's fault, not nVidia's, and a much bigger issue. Hopefully AMD's ARMv8 will solve that for everyone in the 2020s, and we'll get away from the PC's non-sense design.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:45 pm

Oh yeah I have 16gig as well, it just seems something panics somewhere when in reaches 8+ give or take and triggers the crash.

But something is definitely not right, Ed starts fresh using some like 2gb of ram, then as we play it keeps building and building, being the very definition of a memory leak.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:01 pm

TorTorden wrote:Oh yeah I have 16gig as well, it just seems something panics somewhere when in reaches 8+ give or take and triggers the crash.
But something is definitely not right, Ed starts fresh using some like 2gb of ram, then as we play it keeps building and building, being the very definition of a memory leak.

What drivers are you running with?

Again, I haven't seen it since downgrading to 365.19. But I've only had 1 session, although it was a long, 3+ hour session. I saw it once upgrading to 368+, usually within 2 hours. I'm only using a single card, as it's Mini-ITX, my GTX 980 Ti, no SLI possible.

As I said, I'm starting to think it's on the nVidia side, not Frontier (or Oculus).

For textures and other stores, main memory can be utilized.
► Show Spoiler

If I had more interest, I'd debug it further. But I think nVidia has totally screwed up their DiME code, at least with OpenGL, and it wouldn't be the first time. I've seen this many times, especially in combination with the CPU platform, because the system interconnect has to keep coherency between the CPU(s) and GPU.
► Show Spoiler

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:30 pm

Okay, now I gotta step back.

It seems I am on the 'right track' with textures, but it might not be the nVidia driver alone. It might be the updated Oculus driver. I've been doing a lot of memory profiling, and on my 16GiB system, I'm running into it with just 5-6GiB used by Elite. The other 1GiB+ is Ocululs.

The reason I'm saying I'm on the 'right track,' is that it seems to be directly related to planets and their textures. If I do a number of planetary landings, like I do grinding with engineers, it happens within 2-3 hours. If I don't, then it takes a long time.

Now I'm thinking of seeing if I can roll back the Oculus drivers too. That might be far more difficult, let alone the Rift firmware is bundled in the driver package. Sigh ...

thebs wrote: ...
As I said, I'm starting to think it's on the nVidia side, not Frontier (or Oculus).
For textures and other stores, main memory can be utilized.
► Show Spoiler

If I had more interest, I'd debug it further. But I think nVidia has totally screwed up their DiME code, at least with OpenGL, and it wouldn't be the first time. I've seen this many times, especially in combination with the CPU platform, because the system interconnect has to keep coherency between the CPU(s) and GPU.
► Show Spoiler

Return to “Hardware and Technical”