Community Support for the machines running the game
TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Is the Oculus dead? Harsh words by LinusTech

Postby TorTorden » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:01 pm

That is pretty much the crux of the matter.

It has to be experienced.
These videos are even less demonstrative to the experience when they made commercials for HDTV's when everyone just had a standard definition TV.

I am one of those who get absolutely nothing from 3d blueray, and I have a $3500 Sony hw50 projector and 90" screen to watch them with.
People I have over absolutely love the 3d but I get absolutely nothing out of it.
All I see is the loss of fidelity, blacklevels and the washed out colours. I experience more "depth" from a good 2d picture than any 3day movie I have ever seen.

But VR.
I absolutely cannot get enough of it, even if it is low resolution and rather experimental.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Darr Valen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darr Valen
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Darr Valen » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:20 pm

TorTorden wrote:That is pretty much the crux of the matter.

It has to be experienced.
These videos are even less demonstrative to the experience when they made commercials for HDTV's when everyone just had a standard definition TV.

I am one of those who get absolutely nothing from 3d blueray, and I have a $3500 Sony hw50 projector and 90" screen to watch them with.
People I have over absolutely love the 3d but I get absolutely nothing out of it.
All I see is the loss of fidelity, blacklevels and the washed out colours. I experience more "depth" from a good 2d picture than any 3day movie I have ever seen.

But VR.
I absolutely cannot get enough of it, even if it is low resolution and rather experimental.

I really loved seeing The Force Awakens in IMAX 3D, because it wasn't something you noticed, it was like having a window into the world. It became a way to see through the fourth wall, without being in 2D.

That said, I never use my 3D at home, on my Samsung JS9000. Lovely TV, and an arm and a leg for fantastic UHD. But the 3D is junk. Until 3D moves closer to parity with what IMAX 3D offers, without the need for 2 expensive projectors, it's something a tv comes with, not something I shop for in a TV.

VR is like 3D in home for me. Right now, it's a lovely idea, and there are examples of it working.. but it's just not there yet. Just have to accept that gen 1 is not going to be everything we want or need to play these games the right way. Hell, the latest GPUs are pretty significantly underwhelming, especially if you plan to go the VR route. I'll be waiting for the next generation so I can do 4k60 or proper 2k120/150 VR. No sense in buying a GPU for 4K when it can barely run Metro Last Light at 60.. and Nvidia and AMD know this, but are selling them anyway.

The Oculus isn't dying and won't. But this isn't the year or UHD Gaming or VR Gaming. It's the year of 1440p in 2D. This is the resolution that's mostly benefited by the new cards and can make use of.

AJH
Competent
Competent
CMDR: AJH
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby AJH » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:46 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:In all those demos you appeared to just stand there or move around in a very limited (room) space. I want to see how world space works. How do you walk around inside a house, going from room to room, down the stairs, out to the garage, into the car, and drive down the street?

That's largely because of two things. First, it is a lot harder to develop things like that, so there are fewer of them, though still a decent number. Second, and this is the bigger issue, those kinds of experiences tend to require more personal investment in the content to realize why they are interesting. They simply don't make good promo-reel material. They also don't make good demo material, so it's pretty rare to actually see public demos with any of these games. (Things like Budget Cuts, Adr1ft once the Vive version releases or The Gallery: Call of Starseed.) Vanishing Realms is probably the closest thing that is both demo-reel ready and also has that kind of experience, though I don't recall them using any clips from it in their main demo reels yet. There is plenty that lets you do a lot of exploring and those experiences are certainly the ones that will have more staying power over the gallery shooter of the month, of which 4 or 5 have already come and gone.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:55 pm

Yeah I bought space pirate trainer for 10 minutes.
Thought "umm nope: Done with that".

Luckily steam has their refund policy so no money lost. :D

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Gorf
Master
Master
CMDR: Hardy

Postby Gorf » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:56 pm

Just stumbled across this thread. Couldn't watch the video in the OP without thinking of Kermit...

Return to “Hardware and Technical”