Good ship for a Newbie to go for?

Found the perfect trade route? Made a guide to the galaxy? Post it here!
JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Good ship for a Newbie to go for?

Postby JohnLuke » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:04 pm

Samantha Moore wrote:So far I have some success running basic delivery missions. And have just now upgraded to a cobra mk 3. Going to continue running these missions till I have upgraded the parts to A rated. As people have said to do. Before I start looking at doing anything else.

But even with the couple of runs I have done, I am enjoying this ship

It sounds like you are doing all the right things. :)

Glad you're enjoying the Cobra so far.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Samantha Moore
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Samantha Moore
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Samantha Moore » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:34 am

As it stands by the end of this day. With my cobra. I have upgraded my weapons, to something with a bit more punch. And my gear is all now D rated (where it can be upgraded). With this it is doing the missions I want (trading and courier) with ease. I have even done a bit of combat with it. Namely when I got pulled out of warp by an npc, I killed that npc and got the bounty.

So at this point do I continue to upgrade the cobra?, or save for the next ship (I really play this game a lot I know)

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:22 am

Samantha Moore wrote:So at this point do I continue to upgrade the cobra?, or save for the next ship (I really play this game a lot I know)

Keep upgrading. You are only scratching the surface of what this ship can do. Learn to us it to its Full Potential and it will reward you with fistfuls of Credits. It will help you rank up in the Fed and Empire, will provide you with chances to get other ships based on the money. Run the Mission Boards and take the jobs that pay well. As you get better rep with minor factions, they offer you better pay and better missions.

Learn to fly it well and those skills will transfer to your next ship. Most people are in too much of a rush to get into the "Next Ship". Take your time and enjoy it.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Gorf
Master
Master
CMDR: Hardy

Postby Gorf » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:22 am

Cmdr Kharma wrote:Remember when you do buy a new ship make sure you have enough credits for insurance.....Upgrade of the ships modules and credits for cargo....NEVER fly without insurance.....It will come back and bite you in the arse......

I wouldn't do it now, because the game is borked, but I've flown without insurance several times. Bizarrely it doe give the game a certain edge, thinking you could be back in a sidey if you're not careful (and getting through the slot is at least as dangerous as an NPC, when you're not insured).

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:37 am

Samantha Moore wrote:So at this point do I continue to upgrade the cobra?, or save for the next ship (I really play this game a lot I know)

In addition to all the nostalgic reasons, the Cobra MK III is one of the most fun and fastest ships in the game. Stick with it, but buy your upgrades in a system that has power play status "exploited by Li Yong-Rui". You do not need to pledge yourself, but you still get the 15% rebate on everything, and over time, that comes to significant savings.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

Samantha Moore
Novice
Novice

Postby Samantha Moore » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:52 am

Thank you guys. I will stick with my cobra, and upgrade that.

When you say rank up. I was trying to look into that. And on my info in game. It says I am 100% to my next rank with the feds, with neutral rep. From little info I could get with google. It says I should get a promotion mission or something. But I have not see anything like that.

This is probably me, that is not understanding what is meant to happen. Could someone please explain, how do I rank up feds / empire

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:38 am

Samantha Moore wrote:Thank you guys. I will stick with my cobra, and upgrade that.

When you say rank up. I was trying to look into that. And on my info in game. It says I am 100% to my next rank with the feds, with neutral rep. From little info I could get with google. It says I should get a promotion mission or something. But I have not see anything like that.

This is probably me, that is not understanding what is meant to happen. Could someone please explain, how do I rank up feds / empire

Doing missions for Federation Factions increases your rep with that faction. As you get higher rankings with lots of minor factions (preferred is allied as it gives the most increase) it gives a bump to your Federation Rank. The same for Empire and Alliance. When your rep climbs with the Federation, it shows 100% although it may not actually be 100%. It may be 99.6% but rounding says 100. You need to keep doing missions to get the Naval Ascension mission to pop.

Once they do start to appear, you will see multiple missions in every station that you have allied status with a Federation Minor Faction. You don't have to take the first, or any mission that comes up. You can wait till you find a mission you like. So when they appear, you can ignore the kill missions or smuggle missions if you don't want them, and wait till you see a simple delivery mission.

Until you take and complete an ascension mission, they will still appear. Do not make the assumption that taking more than one will make you skip levels. Even after you accept a mission, they will keep appearing until you hand in a completed mission. And even then, after you hand in a completed mission, the mission boards may still show Ascension missions. They don't update as quick as people think.

Once you complete the mission, you will see that your rank has changed, and the next time you load a stations menu, the ascension missions will be gone till the next time you make 100%. But if you wait to take a mission for a bit waiting for a simple one, and keep doing missions for minor factions, when you do Rank up, it may show that you have 2% or 4% already towards your next rank.

Hope that helps.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Samantha Moore
Novice
Novice

Postby Samantha Moore » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:08 pm

Thank you, that does help. I was wondering why I was not seeing the missions yet, and now I know :)

Dudley
Master
Master
CMDR: Dudley_Dawg

Postby Dudley » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:15 pm

Of course... if you get a buggy (SRV) - you could have a couple of days with us (A-Team), picking up some nice bits to help you on your way... ;)

OK, you might get an odd missile or something to the face as purely a welcome - so you can, of course, test the integrity of your shields.. :D

But...Look us up and come pay a visit.

o7 Dawg :P
As a tribute to Tor, my CMDR has small feet too! o7 Dawg

Samantha Moore
Novice
Novice

Postby Samantha Moore » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:09 pm

Well I have now run even more missions for the federation, and my rank remains at 100%. And still no promotion missions (or what ever they are called). And my rep is at 2%.

I am not so sure now, what is going.

And in regards to join you Dudley. I would love to, thank you. I could do with learning from someone, that knows what they are doing. All though I am fairly sure I can land on a planet, most of the time

Return to “Tips and Tricks”